• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Looks like the liners ended up being overly high in the shells (based on the cuff mark on the front). If true, then much of the reinforcement in front of the shin isn't even in play against the cuff plastic. What does the liner look like in the shell?

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
And here is my existing liner that comes stock in the Freedom boot

upload_2019-4-3_19-24-14.jpeg

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Well I just looked up your shell and see the problem. Your shell was not designed with a wrap liner in mind. You really need a tongued liner to provide the support up front and evenly distribute the pressure along your shin. The upper cuff of a 2-piece shell does not have enough overall height/length along the shin.

My rule-of-thumb is that a wrap liner is only used as a replacement for an OEM wrap liner. If the OEM liner has a tongue, then your replacement liner should have one too. You "might" be able to get away with using a wrap liner IF it's very stiff and/or has additional support (i.e. plastic) added over your shin area. In fact, there's an idea for a fix if you don't want to replace the liner, try having the fitter add the extra support by using the plastic outer piece from an old tongue. It's a hack, but I'm pretty certain that the lack of support from the wrap liner is what's causing your pain.

BTW - What model Intuition liner do you actually have? The "Intuition Precision High Wrap" is not a current model, nor one that I recall.

FWIW, we often (not always) use wrap intuitions with two piece boots with no issue at all. I have several friends in particular who ski them in Lange RS and RS boots. The OP should just go visit the fitter again and let them address the problem.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
FWIW, we often (not always) use wrap intuitions with two piece boots with no issue at all. I have several friends in particular who ski them in Lange RS and RS boots. The OP should just go visit the fitter again and let them address the problem.

I’ll keep trying, I’ve gone back twice with minimal improvement. Maybe I got really lucky when I bought them and had them molded from the same shop that it just worked. Very tempted to “go back” to what worked before.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Yeah, I've done it myself. That's why I know how problematic it can be. You need a lot of things to line up correctly to have this work out, but even then, putting on the boots is still problematic if you need to go in race-style (liner first). The overlap of the shell and the overlap of the liner end up fighting. This is why I don't recommend it.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It doesn't work for everyone in all cases, but it's often not as problematic as your experience. And FWIW, I don't use or like them much myself except in my tele boots.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
In case any one is interested. The last fix from the shop was putting a wedge in my boot and adjusting the cuff. It made a small difference, but still not 100%. The following weekend I was going to Crested Butte and decided to just put in the tongue liners. They worked just fine and actually think were snugged up some with the wedge in. I'm going to just ski these until I really really need a new liner or wait until the fall to start this process up. I sense the shop has some fatigue by the end of the season. From what I can gather one problem is the wrap liner I have just isn't taking up enough volume in addition to it being too tall for my shell.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Brian to answer your question 24.

Just got new tongue Intuition liners molded today that are very very similar to what come stock in the Freedoms that are now discontinued by Scarpa. This should do the trick for the time being. However, also discovered a crack in one boot.

ajJg_FiA89nii2WtFRfqS5PNWOt811dRxmrBsmr61csKz12gblZegjCftQSqkWjk2uBImvRRcw2ddWI1k1bpnDfRpcUAB_dlC2qrN4jvBjgaqF4nHAsUH7P2kJ_gFxboHcSbyMCBLCoVY2P15pfYSYxN0XBg5VkG54117UBHidFYyeoT1-JBCQcsmCCnYedKXWLH9lFBtHlcnwMNtd4GPq5-M_w6b29FuEZ3aZoSX72dwN4sWICZ4VTVkqJ4gsUVlMIdjyL7AhWcRx5MHDXolsTFMMxR4_3_uFd3n9z4DsUskeEl0LQgiMmfs7Iany5FnLrtRuEKmuO4Jn1Y8nMjJ98iFPEk9_RDn_-c8mtYHyvkksuMPAdeKLLf3y_gZalCZJiOeQvlT5zLzz0iSIjubqt-KqSvepqBje_SlgYWEmi1QTyJfx__L86kHYgp5n_LWMrq22cDRtvRXiDGcAZGV5XnIuXnf5NWpBDCuDRIi_oQLP3tYKfylehC7SGvcXiq6hZQ0n8KF38vNqEh9Zw8Vz4nb8fk3f8hVOebsRcuEyzwSRFCN_92yIQMSMnKeM6W0SJUmxcL7Fn3Ooo4S2XCdoxSFDEWZU4ZUYJN_efA5I9lWx-5ZAXQseERTcx5ysS0Ui52UapuCDYweb9H_H_ueDDHBFGGPSumlDjEX-_VaetApw4tV_LhFO1N=w712-h953-no

I will ski these until they fall apart, but need to start thinking about future boot strategy. I loved having one boot and switching the soles for resort or touring, however, that model basically doesn't exist any more. I love the way how the Scarpa Freedoms skied, weight was fine for resort skiing, would be nice to have a lighter boot for touring. I'm open to having two boots. I tried on Scarpa Gea RS (felt the best, makes me think I am a Scarpa foot person), Dynafit Hoji Pro Tour Womens (2nd best, hard to get my wide foot in and out), Roxa R3W 105 (3rd place compared to the other two). Person in the shop also recommended I try the Atomic Hawx as a do it all solution.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@SkiFiore,

Indeed, first question is 2 pairs of boots or one. Obviously having two boots allows you to optimize for each scenario, but boots are getting better and better at combining great uphill with great downhill, so if travel or such makes owning just 1 boot for both appealing, it is more doable than ever before I think.

As far as models,
Look at the Salomon Mtn Explore for a touring boot, my daughter just got these, she tried on quite a few boots, and the Scarpa’s were the best until she tried these, so they should be on your list to try on.

In the category you mention of beefy touring boots, the Technica Zero G’s also need to be mentioned. Or, if you want to go resort oriented, the Cochise. I bet a Cochise with Intution tour liner is lighter than your Scarpa freedoms!

https://blisterreview.com/featured/19-20-blister-winter-buyers-guide

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-backcountry-ski-boots

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
@Slim Thank you for the recommendations! I will try those before making a final decision.

I'd prefer the one boot route if possible. I have two pairs of skis with resort bindings so if I really had to replace bindings for a multi norm, not a big deal.

I just recently tried on the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120 W and was very impressed.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online