• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
I recently got my liners replaced on my Scarpa Freedom boots with new Intuition Precision High Wrap Liners. I had these heat molded at the shop with my custom footbed. So far I've skied these liners 4 days and am having some shin pain. Is this normal? Should I just give it more time to break in? After I'm done skiing my shins are not in pain, but the pain does limit what I ski or how long I can ski. I've never had a wrap liner before. I'm very happy with the control, but hope the pain or pressure subsides.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow, that's weird. I've been using Intuition wrap liners for years. Multiple boots (Full Tilt only), different liners and some molded, some not. I use them in my waterski boots as well, some of which are very experimental. Never had shin pain.

I felt the tongue style was less comfortable and didn't perform as well.

Maybe you squeezed the padding too much during molding. Try adding some padding on the outside of the liner to pad the shin some more?

Eric

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
To come up with a solution, you'll need to diagnose the cause. In general, the answer is no; Intuition wrap liners do not cause most skiers pain. So there's something odd happening in your setup. As noted previously, there may have been a problem with the initial molding or some issue with the way the liner is meshing with the shell. Where did you have it done?

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
I went to Larry's Bootfitting in Boulder, CO where I originally purchased the shells, had custom footbeds made, and stock liners molded.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Do you have an off-the-shelf footbed you can toss in there on a trial basis?

I guess I could try that....is it just trying a different combo of liner and footbed and seeing what happens? I understand they have to work together. My footbeds are custom and worked well. It's my understanding they should last quite a while? Maybe I should have gone with the tongue liner, worked great for me, but decided to try the shops advice.

I'm going to call the shop and have Larry look at it. Maybe they just don't work for my leg? :huh:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I guess I could try that....is it just trying a different combo of liner and footbed and seeing what happens?

The OTS footbed will probably give you a bit more space temporarily; I suspect that what you're feeling could be a result of the Intuition being tighter than the stock liner and it's easy enough to check.

If the OTS works enough for you to ski the wrap ~10 days, I would try the custom bed again.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
The OTS footbed will probably give you a bit more space temporarily; I suspect that what you're feeling could be a result of the Intuition being tighter than the stock liner and it's easy enough to check.

If the OTS works enough for you to ski the wrap ~10 days, I would try the custom bed again.

I'll try that and yes definitely more volume taken up/tighter

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you been back to the bootfitter to discuss this?

He may have a simple solution.

Otherwise, I'd try the stock liner, but with your new footbed. Change one variable at a time if possible, IMO.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Well I just looked up your shell and see the problem. Your shell was not designed with a wrap liner in mind. You really need a tongued liner to provide the support up front and evenly distribute the pressure along your shin. The upper cuff of a 2-piece shell does not have enough overall height/length along the shin.

My rule-of-thumb is that a wrap liner is only used as a replacement for an OEM wrap liner. If the OEM liner has a tongue, then your replacement liner should have one too. You "might" be able to get away with using a wrap liner IF it's very stiff and/or has additional support (i.e. plastic) added over your shin area. In fact, there's an idea for a fix if you don't want to replace the liner, try having the fitter add the extra support by using the plastic outer piece from an old tongue. It's a hack, but I'm pretty certain that the lack of support from the wrap liner is what's causing your pain.

BTW - What model Intuition liner do you actually have? The "Intuition Precision High Wrap" is not a current model, nor one that I recall.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Well I just looked up your shell and see the problem. Your shell was not designed with a wrap liner in mind. You really need a tongued liner to provide the support up front and evenly distribute the pressure along your shin. The upper cuff of a 2-piece shell does not have enough overall height/length along the shin.

My rule-of-thumb is that a wrap liner is only used as a replacement for an OEM wrap liner. If the OEM liner has a tongue, then your replacement liner should have one too. You "might" be able to get away with using a wrap liner IF it's very stiff and/or has additional support (i.e. plastic) added over your shin area. In fact, there's an idea for a fix if you don't want to replace the liner, try having the fitter add the extra support by using the plastic outer piece from an old tongue. It's a hack, but I'm pretty certain that the lack of support from the wrap liner is what's causing your pain.

BTW - What model Intuition liner do you actually have? The "Intuition Precision High Wrap" is not a current model, nor one that I recall.

You are correct. Appreciate your help. I'll go back to the shop and see what the master fitter says, he was not the one to suggest using the wrap. I basically got these for free so I'm open to trying something else.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Just an update here I took these to Larry's and they changed the cuff alignment and added a wedge for better heel hold, which I could feel. Skied them one day this past weekend and seemed to feel better on my right leg, but not my left. Perhaps its just a one more round of tweaking but I'm getting impatient. I am also having to crank these up to the highest latch on my boot buckle.

This next weekend I'm going to A/B with my old tongue liner. I may just go back to a tongue liner since it's worked for me and is more appropriate for my shell.

Appreciate all the responses.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Just an update here I took these to Larry's and they changed the cuff alignment and added a wedge for better heel hold, which I could feel. Skied them one day this past weekend and seemed to feel better on my right leg, but not my left. Perhaps its just a one more round of tweaking but I'm getting impatient. I am also having to crank these up to the highest latch on my boot buckle.

This next weekend I'm going to A/B with my old tongue liner. I may just go back to a tongue liner since it's worked for me and is more appropriate for my shell.

Appreciate all the responses.

Off topic - but where do you ski on the Front Range?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I recently got my liners replaced on my Scarpa Freedom boots with new Intuition Precision High Wrap Liners. I had these heat molded at the shop with my custom footbed. So far I've skied these liners 4 days and am having some shin pain. Is this normal? Should I just give it more time to break in? After I'm done skiing my shins are not in pain, but the pain does limit what I ski or how long I can ski. I've never had a wrap liner before. I'm very happy with the control, but hope the pain or pressure subsides.

Are the liners LV, MV or HV?

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
upload_2019-4-3_18-55-29.jpeg

upload_2019-4-3_18-56-14.jpeg

All gray/silver

Sponsor

Staff online