• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Packing skis and equipment question

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
An impromptu opportunity to fly out to Breck came up to ski a few days next week. I got a great deal off eBay on a Dakine double bag and was going to pack it this weekend.

A few YouTube videos showed how I could get my skis, boots, helmet, poles, etc into the one bag. However I've seen all the warnings about bringing your boots with you.

Unfortunately I realized after ticketing that I have a United economy ticket that doesn't allow any large carry on and I have to pay $40 for my first checked bag.

So should is it worth the risk to pack alll my gear in the ski bag? Anyone have any experience? I know airlines lose bags but I'd have to guess a mid week flight between Chicago and Denver, both United hubs should be fairly realiable. Right?!?!

Also any recommendations for don't miss in 2 days of skiing at Breckinridge (for solid intermediate, some easier black terrain
?).

Thanks did any advice.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your ski bag is probably considered oversize. Not sure about United but on our recent trip to Japan, American (but check in with JAL so both restrictions applied) made us have only one ski pair and poles per ski bag and a separate boot bag with only boots (they checked but I got away with socks in the boots). The ski and boot bags together counted as one bag. All of our ski stuff went in the other bag. But we were allowed two bags for the international reservation.

I have traveled United with waterskis. But they were the official airline of the Nationals then so we were able to get away with a lot of baggage and oversize exemptions. They were still pretty strict about overweight. And we did have to show the letter from AWSA. Flown United to Hawaii a couple times with some frustrating delays.

Denver used to be horrible for lost luggage. Recently we've gotten everything. Lost luggage is rare but at every tournament I've traveled to, at least one skier had a ski that didn't make it with him/her. Fortunately, not me.

For two days, wear you ski clothes, carryon your boots and clean underwear to just go for it! Demo skis if yours are delayed. $40 goes a way towards a fun demo. Enjoy the trip.

Eric

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You will have 50lb to work with weigh the back before you leave the house. And yes, your boots are your carry on.

TS
DerKomisar

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Sounds like I have a plan to get all my ski stuff in the Dakine double bag and carry on the skis.

Any idea if airlines (United specifically) consider the Dakin double bag oversize or accept it as a single checked ski bag?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like I have a plan to get all my ski stuff in the Dakine double bag and carry on the skis.

Any idea if airlines (United specifically) consider the Dakin double bag oversize or accept it as a single checked ski bag?

I just flew United and used a double bag with 2 skis. I also put some ski clothes in there with the skis. I always carry on my boots in a small boot bag. If you read United Airlines baggage information, about special sports equipment, they say a ski bag with up to 2 pairs of skis or 2 snowboards.

TS
DerKomisar

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
I just flew United and used a double bag with 2 skis. I also put some ski clothes in there with the skis. I always carry on my boots in a small boot bag. If you read United Airlines baggage information, about special sports equipment, they say a ski bag with up to 2 pairs of skis or 2 snowboards.

Thanks for the confirmation and relief to hear. I did see that and printed it out as we've all had some gate/ticket agent tell you something completely different and not have any recourse.

Gonna finalize some packing and read up on where to hit the slopes in Breck!

Thanks everyone!

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I'd wear the ski clothes, pack socks and undies in the boots in the boot bag and rent skis when you get to Breck. You might have to check the boot bag, but flying nonstop should make delivery at the bag retrieval station pretty certain. That's what my daughters do when they come to ski. We use Alpine Sports. Start on Peak Nine, take the Quicksilver Lift to get the Mercury or take the Beaver Run Lift. Ski Cashier back to the Mercury, keeping moving off the Merc to skier's left for Columbia, Sundown, American, Peerless and Volunteer.

Go to Peak 8, head off the Peak Eight Interconnect to skier's left above the Vista Haus and on the cat track to Dukes and/or North Star. take the Rocky Mtn. chair back up, ride past the last two to Claim Jumper, turn left along that to go to the Independence chair on Peak Seven and try all the runs there.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
United is mainly about weight, most importantly you must be under the 50# if it is north america flight unless you have status.
If you're going over an ocean, different rules apply.

If you bought basic economy ticket, check online to see if you can pay upgrade fee to economy plus or if they have options bundle for economyplus+checked bag to get yourself a checked bag and/or overhead for cheaper than being suprised at checkin.

For 2 days, you can just pack your boots, and don't bother with the skis and poles, 2day trip is about the tradeoff point for renting if you're paying baggage fees; unless somehow you have race or super fancy skis that you must ski.

As far as Breck trails, what are you a wimp? Go directly to peak 6 or 8 and do Hike-To to the top and get some fresh lines. Get some cardio in by hiking up at 12,000 feet. (just kidding, this may break your lungs, enjoy!)

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you have a Basic Economy ticket, you are only allowed your personal item, i.e. no carry on to go in the overhead. Hard to see how you are going to avoid a checked bag unless you wear all your ski clothes and get away with your boots as your personal item. Note also that if you are forced to gate check your carry-on, you get nailed for the checked baggage fee PLUS a $25 gate handling charge.

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've traveled on Delta, JetBlue and United with a wheeled double ski bag. Boots and helmet are in my carry-on. I stuff one pair of skis, poles and clothes in the ski bag, and I've never had a problem. You do have to make sure it's under 50 lbs (investing in a luggage scale is well worth it, and they're pretty cheap). On my last trip the checked bag came in at 32 lbs.
Although as a couple of people have pointed out, for two days you may want to get the carry-on option, not bring the skis and rent at Breck.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Use a rolling carry on bag for boots, pants, baselayers, gloves, goggles. If they loose your luggage you can still rent skis until they find your stuff and it's cheaper.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Carry on the helmet(s) if you can. Bags are thrown around everywhere, and it can't be good for the integrity of the helmet.

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
My job has me flying quite a bit for business. Frankly 99.9% of baggage has no problem in direct flight. Your risk would be damage more than anything else. The lost baggage is usually with layovers. IN which case it will still come next day (often early but sometimes after the 8AM time you would want to be at the mountain). Wife and I ended up in a 15 minute layover in Phoenix before a trip to Tahoe two weeks ago. Our gear got there the following day at 11AM. on the other hand AA reimbursed me for $300 in ski gear we bought because we couldn't fit it all on the plane.

Honestly direct flight I would just pack it and not worry about it. The odds in direct flights having an issue are VERY VERY small.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I flew United last year, PHL to JAC with a layover in DEN. Took a Dakine 2x ski roller bag with clothing inclosed in duffel bags to protect from ski edges etc., had no troubles doing so. Actually, the duffel bags inside of ski bag idea was suggested to me by a United customer service person. I was also allowed a carryon bag in which went my boots, shell, pants, goggles, one baselayer set, socks, gloves and goggles. You probably could carry your boots in a plastic bag as the personal item which goes under your seat.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid