• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Pacific NW, AK, and BC Resorts, Weather, Conditions 19-20

TS
Tom Co.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Still more schmoo at Stevens
Woke up to 10 in of new and 27* so had to go. It was a bit disappointing. The snow was to heavy to relax and have fun in. I had to work at it.
I started with 7th which had nice snow on the upper half. It went quick, then to the back side. The trees were ok, Pegasus, main run, had heavy piles and big troughs. any place else on the backside if you could find an untracked spot to turn in it wasn't bad , but they were scarce. Big Chief Bowl - just ok. Other sneaky spots kept me going for a while, but I quit earlier than usual. Some am sun breaks, pm light snow and fog.

Fun Factor- 2.5/5
Stoke-o-Meter- 2.5/5

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Tom those those are 1st world problems for sure.

I'm over in Kalispell working and it snowed. The choice was turn right and go to work or turn left to Whitefish (income is over rated sometimes). Left my boots at home just for that eventuality. Being good is hard.

TS
Tom Co.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bob, Time is more important than $. Bring the boots. Are the trees 'in' at 49*?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s been weird, we‘ve had one week of really cold weather with awesome snow, sandwiched by heavy dense snow. I don’t see that changing much in the next week, though maybe a little cooler Sunday through Tuesday, with precipitation forecast just about every day.

First world problems for sure.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Sibhusky that didn't make me feel any better at all. @Tom Co. sunday they were a storm away. Just need to cover the stuff there now with about 6" and it will be game on.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
It was nuking snow today at Timberline Lodge. About 13" last night and 7" today. Snowing hard and good skiing until about 2pm then the warm front hit and the snowfall changed to rain/snow mix and the snow got real heavy. Started to make some weird sounds when skiing through it after 2pm. My knees lasted until about 3:30 and then it was time to head home. More rain predicted on the way for the rest of January (3 days)......

I was hoping when I skied past the pool that there would be some topless action, but no joy ......

0128201517a.jpg 0128201322a.jpg 0128201229d.jpg 0128201229b.jpg 0128200900 (2).jpg 0128200842.jpg

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Baker had a bunch of new this morning. I was stoked, but when I got there it was raining in the White Salmon parking lot, though there was lots of new snow on the ground. I looked at it out my car window, turned around and drove home. Didn't even get out of the car.

Went shopping for groceries instead. I think it was more fun that the glop on the mountain would have been.

nunyabiz

Putting on skis
Skier
It was nuking snow today at Timberline Lodge. About 13" last night and 7" today. Snowing hard and good skiing until about 2pm then the warm front hit and the snowfall changed to rain/snow mix and the snow got real heavy. Started to make some weird sounds when skiing through it after 2pm. My knees lasted until about 3:30 and then it was time to head home. More rain predicted on the way for the rest of January (3 days)......

I was hoping when I skied past the pool that there would be some topless action, but no joy ......

With the conditions looking miserable for the next few days I was tempted to go to Ski Bowl last night, sounds like I didn't miss out on anything great. I skied at MHM on Monday and the conditions were pretty nice, bluebird for the first couple hours until the clouds moved in and it started dumping snow. The gated access was open but I feel a bit over my head in there so I didn't ski it. The bowls off Shooting Star we're deep and the snow was fun.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied Crystal yesterday. What a great day. Sun was out, snow was soft, little 2" new overnight. Skied GV, fresh tracks in Northway, certain areas had wonderful wind blown fluffy coverage. It was a warm day, I'm guessing close to 40 degrees and it skied great like spring skiing. We are supposed to get another dump over the weekend after the temps come back down. I'm looking forward to getting out again Tuesday or Thursday depending on the actual snow timing.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Think Saturday was the worst day of year at Whistler (and it hasn't been a particularly good year)
Today (Sunday) the temp dropped and at best was freezer burn left overs.
back in the car by 11 am. Alpine was still blasting.
road trip time.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Was planning on heading back to Baker on Monday but since the deluge there has been no snow and now it's well below freezing up there. I'm not too interested in freeway driving on skis, so maybe I'll clean the cat box instead.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
wise choice - mid down usually pretty similar to Baker was a skating rink

Other Aaron

Give me Site Visits in Ski towns
Skier
Stevens was fun this morning with 7" of fluff on top of the rain crust. If you stayed light, you skied the fluff and not the ice.

In other news, 7th heaven lift is toast. One of the jockey wheel sets blew out and the lift will probably be down for a few weeks

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Stevens was great today! Bright sunshine all day, cool in the low 20s and the snow was in beautiful shape. Perfect groomers on piste where they groomed, nice soft chalkie snow off piste, with a few spots where it was crusty.

However seventh heaven chair is out of service, they had to rescue people off the chair, and that’s like an elevator shaft. Then the Tye Mill chair stopped suddenly just as I was about to get on for a quick run before teaching a class. Then Kehr’s kept stopping, like 5 times while I was riding up.

Got to wonder if Stevens/Vail is skimping in chair maintenance. They’ve had lots of trouble with the Jupiter chair this season and that lift is not that old.

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
glad you had decent days
PNW,
20 miles or 2 hr its probably different. I never envy the weather forecasters.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
On Saturday high winds closed the upper mountain lifts at Sun Peak's Mt. Tod, so I didn't ski. Also didn't ski today.

Meanwhile it has gone from 1 or 2*C in the village yesterday to -13*C today and -16*C on the upper mtn, while where I stay, down the valley and 1000 feet below the mountain it has gone from 6*C to -2*C.

TS
Tom Co.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mon @ Stevens
Today beat expectations. We had about 3 in of new that made off piste skiable. We went all over the place except 7th which is broken. Some places had a lot of frozen crap under and some were pretty nice. Vis was pretty good, with some nice big sucker holes. It was snowing when we left.

Fun-Factor 3.5/5
Stoke-o-Meter 3.5/5

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wednesday at Alpental, several inches of rain after 16”of snow the day before. I was there for a clinic, or I wouldn’t have bothered. As it was, I left early at lunch. It was wet. Very wet. Heavy heavy heavy snow.

Actually for the first hour or so, it was snowing from Chair 2 on up, and there was some nice stuff for a run or two. Then the rain started all the way up to the top. It was no longer much fun.

At least I know my XL shell mittens fit over my gloves and kept my hands dry. My jacket kept my dry and I wore a fleece insulating layer rather than my down jacket/sweater/whatever it’s called layer. Ski pants are now being treated with Nikwax and that’s all I’ll say about that.

The “base-building” snow we’ve been receiving all year is getting a little old.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
It was a wet, windy one at bachelor today. Great carving conditions.

Sponsor