• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Pacific NW, AK, and BC Resorts, Weather, Conditions 19-20

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
snowed in my yard at sea level yesterday and again a few flakes today quite rare for April around here
. would have been fabulous at Whistler, natures way of rubbing it in .
ideal time to do the spring maintence early and self isolate out on the sailboat but it's moored in the US so we can't.

after a few weeks of self isolation even housework is starting to seem entertaining

Posaune

sliding
Skier
It snowed here this morning as well. I'm entertaining myself by doing my taxes today. They put off the deadline until July, but if I wait any more I won't ever do them. Fun, fun, fun.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Same in Spokane. Flakes in town yesterday and last night.
How sad is it when doing taxes is a pleasant alternative. Did mine last week.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
9" of new with temps in the low 20s today at Baker. Funny how when the snow pack gets around 200" it squishes down so that it keeps rebuilding itself to 200" with each storm, so the pack stays pretty much the same but the density underneath must become glacial. Semi-snow coming down here as I type.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
9" of new with temps in the low 20s today at Baker. Funny how when the snow pack gets around 200" it squishes down so that it keeps rebuilding itself to 200" with each storm, so the pack stays pretty much the same but the density underneath must become glacial. Semi-snow coming down here as I type.
This is one of those instances in which I appreciate the post, but can’t “like” it.

TS
Tom Co.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Today, Sunday April 19, would have been the last scheduled day to ski at Stevens. Nuts.
Here are a couple of pictures from last years last days least we forget.

P1030491.jpg

P1030488.jpg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I mentioned this in another thread, Crystal Mt will re-open on June 1 and operate on a reservation basis until 6/14/20.

It goes without saying there’s a lot of uncertainty in the world right now, but one thing remains the same and that’s our commitment to building meaningful connections and celebrating adventures that provide an escape from our daily routines. A lot has changed, but our promise to you hasn’t. While closing in March was the right thing to do, it’s time to begin taking small steps back towards doing what we love. We’re ready and excited to welcome you back starting June 1 for some spring skiing in Green Valley, but things are going to be different. We are committed to doing this responsibly with safety for our guests, employees and community at the forefront.
SAFETY IS ESSENTIAL
We’re committed to doing this responsibly with safety for our guests, employees and community at the forefront of our operations. Getting back to the mountains to ski and ride will provide a much-needed lift to our physical and mental well-being, but irresponsible behavior will not be tolerated. We have implemented training and developed a plan to keep all our guests and employees as safe as possible and we’re relying on your cooperation to make it a positive experience for everyone.

We will also continue to adhere to all federal, state and local guidance. We’ve been in direct contact with Governor Inslee’s office about a careful return to operations that balances the complexities of COVID-19 with the shared desire to recreate in the mountains we all love.
A DIFFERENT APPROACH
Visitors need to be prepared for a different approach. There will be a new process for accessing the resort, parking, and loading the gondola.

All skiers and riders will need to make a mandatory reservation online. This includes but is not limited to anyone with an Ikon Pass, or unused 19/20 lift ticket. Please read the FAQ to find out more about access.

There will be a limited number of reservations available by metered time slots each day we’re open. Everyone including pass holders will need to make a reservation online. Once you’ve secured your reservation you can then purchase a lift ticket if needed. If you arrive at Crystal without an online reservation, even if you have a season pass or pre-paid ticket you will not be allowed access.

Reservations will open at 2:00pm on May 30 for June 1, with reservations available at 2:00pm on June 1 for each following day. Reservations are available on a first-come-first-served basis.Reservations will be limited to a max of four. Operations may be limited or modified at any time in response to changing circumstances.

The gondola will be metered by hour with the first reservation to upload between 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. and consecutive hourly time slots until 2:00 p.m. Once you’re on the mountain you’re welcome to enjoy the slopes in Green Valley for as long as you’d like but you must upload the gondola during your reservation arrival window – no exceptions.

Foot passengers will not be allowed on the gondola. There’s still a lot of snow at the higher elevations and we’re rewarding our loyal winter guests with a few more laps in Green Valley before we turn our attention to summer.

ARRIVING AT CRYSTAL
There will be a mandatory Check Point stop before entering the upper parking lots. Please do not arrive at the Check Point more than 30 minutes before your reservation. A Crystal representative will confirm your reservation and provide instructions before directing you to one of the parking lots.

In order to minimize injuries and incidents, Crystal Mountain Ski Patrol strongly recommends only skilled skiers and riders visit. It is imperative that guests ski and ride safely. Enjoy the ski area, but this is the time for restraint. Please be conservative and practice good judgment. We thank you in advance for respecting the responsibilities and operational parameters of our dedicated ski patrol.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Has Timberline said anything about summer skiing? I imagine it is dependent upon whether they can get the Palmer lift up and running.

SamR

Booting up
Skier
The pictures from yesterday look really nice. They're charging $899 for summer season passes (https://www.timberlinelodge.com/coronavirus-updates), but then again they have zero competition for summer skiing. With so many days left, I feel like it should be easier to get a day reservation than at A-Basin.

The trail map claims there is 2600 feet of vertical between Palmer and Magic Mile, which is more than the lift served vertical of A basin. I am trying to get a feel for how many runs are available on Palmer during the summer. Will it be all three black diamond runs as listed in the trail map, or will most of the space be cordoned off for camps? It is hard to tell through Youtube videos, and the space seems to vary depending on when in the summer it is filmed.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The pictures from yesterday look really nice. They're charging $899 for summer season passes (https://www.timberlinelodge.com/coronavirus-updates), but then again they have zero competition for summer skiing. With so many days left, I feel like it should be easier to get a day reservation than at A-Basin.

The trail map claims there is 2600 feet of vertical between Palmer and Magic Mile, which is more than the lift served vertical of A basin. I am trying to get a feel for how many runs are available on Palmer during the summer. Will it be all three black diamond runs as listed in the trail map, or will most of the space be cordoned off for camps? It is hard to tell through Youtube videos, and the space seems to vary depending on when in the summer it is filmed.

My understanding they divide the Palmer runs into lanes with one open to the public. Can't count on Mile being open for skiing for too long. As the summer goes along they install a midway loading station on Pslmer and ski the top part. Based on one trip there in JUNE about 5 years ago.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I hate to burst your bubble Sam but there are no Black diamond runs at Timberline. About half of Palmer snowfeild will be race camps. MM usually doesn't have any race lanes. Afternoons race camps pull courses so it's wide open to the public. There's some good crusing to lookers left of the Palmer.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Once I showed up at Timberline during summer skiing, ready to go with all my stuff. After looking at what was available and the price of admission, I left. YMMV

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've lived in the Portland area for 43 years and only skied in the summer once. All the comments above apply. The summer skiing is primarily for training camps for racing and snowboarding. It is fairly boring for recreational skiing as there's only 1 "lane" open for the public. I love skiing Timberline in the winter (and Skibowl, and Meadows, and trips to Idaho/Wa/MT). But even with it convenient, I don't ski it in the summer.

And yes, the runs are not steep black-diamond at Timberline. There are only a few very short pitches of steepness, and those are not in the summer skiing area.

Last edited:

SamR

Booting up
Skier
Thank you folks for the insight. I suspected that reality of summer skiing was a bit different than what Timberline claims on its trail map. It sounds like the optimal time to ski there would be in the spring, when Palmer is open but before the summer camps kick off. Hopefully next year Palmer can open for the spring season.

Attachments

• Timberline-2016-Trail-Map.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 3

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'll be at Tline tomorrow and take some pics. Palmer is usually open for Spring skiing but this year it was damaged by a storm.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
8645.jpeg
This is Palmer snowfeild in the background. Not steep. The snowpack hasn't been great the last few Summers. That takes alot of the zing out of the wide open snowfeilds.

Sponsor