• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Pacific NW, AK, and BC Resorts, Weather, Conditions 19-20

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got a reservation to ski Crystal tomorrow. Yea,Yea, YEA. I'm in from 9:00 to 10:00. Anybody else going?
Trip report coming.
Unfortunately I’ve got a full schedule this week until Thursday. I should probably set an alarm for 1:59pm on Wednesday to make a reservation. Otherwise not until Sunday, and it looks like a greater chance of rain over the weekend.

TS
Tom Co.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crystal, Tuesday
I arrived a bit before 9:00. There was a checkpoint at the end of D lot where you had to show your reservation. I parked in A lot which had most people being good an leaving space between cars, that would change as more people arrived.

2:00 parking as I was heading out
P1050314.jpg

No line for the bathroom or the Gondola. It was warmish with filtered sun, then high overcast that thickened a bit, but it never got bad.
There was no line for the Green Valley chair for the first hour or so. then it got progressively worse toping out at about 10 min.
Most people did a good job of spacing. You rode with who you came with or solo. the average was about 2 per chair.

P1050308.jpg

Right at the ridge top just pass the getoff there were lots of rocks. I really had to pick my way, got some good dings the bases especially when heading to Grubstake.

Grubstake
P1050305.jpg

close up
P1050303.jpg

Snorting Elk Bowl [the next cirque over] had a big bare spot at the top. It was either traverse out farther or take off your skis. The pond at the bottom of the first face was being skimmed.

P1050301.jpg

The skiing was pretty darned good spring skiing. Some aspects really delivered

P1050304.jpg

Glad I went. If you are thinking of going, get it soon and take your rock skis.

TS
Tom Co.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Crystal, Friday

Parking lot at 8:45. Parked in the second row of the pay [free] lot. Vis was pretty good, the high overcast stuff. It did get a little thicker at times. No lift line for the first hour, then needed to scope the line and choose which side. The line was about 10 min after about 11:00.

Rock situation: the top of GV had two snow slots up a short walk with a big milted out area directly left. there were a few scattered bare spots here and there in the main run. The traverse to Grubstake is either take off your skis or ski down around the bare area and side step back up. the top of Grubstake is really rocky. Snorting Elk had a very rocky ski patrol made path out skiers right. Once through that it wasn't bad down the bowl. The lower gully is narrow with BIG snowboard ruts.

Top of Green Valley
IMG_0228.jpg

wider angle Green Valley
IMG_0236.jpg

Snorting Elk Access
IMG_0232.jpg

Snorting Elk Bowl, Pond Skimming
IMG_0231.jpg

Lower Snort Elk
IMG_0234.jpg

I just took pics of the hazards

Snow was nice in the am but got slow about 11:00. the traverse out to West Face became a walk up.

Best runs, West Face and Ann's run.
It was well worth it to ski these two days. I now have a better sense of completion.
On with hiking.

THE LAST DAY IS SUNDAY