• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Oysters!

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love me some oysters (raw). I’m currently reading this book. Recommended, but it does tie in a lot of NYC history. Still a fascinating book about oyster consumption.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A story: I worked fighting wildfires In Alaska for years, based in Fairbanks. The was this restaurant there where, after a couple weeks on a fire eating rations, I’d go to get some good fresh food. I’d take a long, long shower, put on clean clothes, pick up my mail, and go order a couple dozen fresh oysters, a huge salad, and beer. One time a colleague came along with me and mentioned he’d never had an oyster (grew up in Idaho or someplace like that) so I passed him one to sample. After he’d put it in, I said, ”Sort of like eating a booger, right?” With a strained look on his face, he replied, “Not as good.”

They're not for everyone.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my favorite restaurants has oysters on the menu right now. I’m eating there on Thursday with one of my oyster loving friends. I suspect we’ll have some.

CAB47DA0-ADBB-46B6-90A2-0B7996B3E5DE.png

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Love oysters! Have since I was quite young. My mom has a picture of me eating one in Oregon when I was maybe 4.
I've joked that the only thing a real Texan will eat raw are oysters...

My Dad says I was about this age running around my grandparents yard in Houston when I asked for one. He and my grandfather were shucking them for an oyster stew (and enjoying a few raw for themselves), but after that they couldn't keep me away! My brothers followed soon afterwards.

But fried oyster po-boys are the bomb! I got them at a place called Frenchy's when I was in school at U of H.

I've not seen raw oysters used in sushi, is that not a thing in Japan?

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Been a fan of oysters for many years. Now living in costal Southern New Jersey where oyster farming has been increasing. Local Cape May Salt variety is quite tasty! Also, Cape May is a major fishing fleet for scallops, local fresh harvested are as good as it gets.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Don't tell me. You like your ribeye well done with ketchup like the dude in DC. :duck: :ogbiggrin: :beercheer:
Medium well to well done. If the plate floods in blood when I'm cutting in to it, I'm putting it back on the grill.
That said, I don't think a "good" steak needs any sauce at all. KC seasoning and maybe some Worcestershire sauce marinade, then cooked, not just for grill mark optics, COOKED!

Ribeyes or strips hit our grill at least 2-3 times a week. I'd be dead if I was eating them rare/raw that often.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Little known fact: NY city was the oyster capital of the US in the 18th/19th century.

Long Island oysters exemplify my reasons for absolute refusal to eat coastal filter feeders. Medical waste is just the tip of the iceberg. And yes, I'm talking modern trash sources, not Dead Horse Bay. Although there is that too.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^I knew that but didn't want to gross people out. I'll eat the shrimp and lobstah off the coast but again, only if heated beyond 170 degrees for a coupe minutes first.

When I was a little kid I'd eat raw hamburger right out of the package in the fridge. Parents loved raw steaks. Both ended up with major blockage issues.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
When I was growing up, the German tourists would all fish in the embayment between the boatyard and the sardine cannery. Best eels on the island, they said. Best hotel sewage outlet, I said.

The mussels in the area were completely black and choked with fat/tar/heavy grease. Like a fatberg, except spooged out over the rocks. I didn't eat those either.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've joked that the only thing a real Texan will eat raw are oysters...

My Dad says I was about this age running around my grandparents yard in Houston when I asked for one. He and my grandfather were shucking them for an oyster stew (and enjoying a few raw for themselves), but after that they couldn't keep me away! My brothers followed soon afterwards.

But fried oyster po-boys are the bomb! I got them at a place called Frenchy's when I was in school at U of H.

I've not seen raw oysters used in sushi, is that not a thing in Japan?
Several of the most well known types of oysters are all japanese, so it's clearly not unknown to japanese cuisine.
Sushi is literally the vinegared rice, oysters do not pair well with sushi. I'm sure there would be some restaurant with a nontraditional option just like getting raw chicken or raw beef or quail egg nigiri item. But you'd most likely see it served not as sushi like just as they are shucked, or as shooters.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sushi is literally the vinegared rice, oysters do not pair well with sushi. I'm sure there would be some restaurant with a nontraditional option just like getting raw chicken or raw beef or quail egg nigiri item. But you'd most likely see it served not as sushi like just as they are shucked, or as shooters.

Hmm, wonder if they could vinegar them like with silver skinned fish. Clam sushi is deffo a thing

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is vinegar in the mignonette so I thnk its not necessarily antivinegar but more about the textures. I think the rice you still don't want ball of starch that's going to overpower this very delicate smooth slippery thing. like how you wouldn't dump a scoop of rice into jello.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Island oysters exemplify my reasons for absolute refusal to eat coastal filter feeders. Medical waste is just the tip of the iceberg. And yes, I'm talking modern trash sources, not Dead Horse Bay. Although there is that too.

Yup, it's a concern. That NYC was the oyster cap of world was history. I eat raw oysters from the Damariscotta river ( a coastal river estuary in Maine ) it's one of the cleanest coastal rivers in the US.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My dad and I used to go oystering amongst the mangroves of Biscayne Bay all the time when I was a kid. Great memories. I was pissed when my mom stopped letting me eat them raw, but with the rising bacterial count from Miami's lousy sewage treatment practices I had to concede that she was right.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For a moment, thought it was a salad. :duck: :beercheer:

It's not normally how I like my oysters but it did add an interesting texture. There was also a watermelon mignonette which was interesting but I wish it had had a bit of a bit of shallot or horseradish.

Sponsor

Staff online