• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Overwhelmed! Help please

caham212

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Don’t post much on here but read a lot. Been skiing for 4 years on my first pair of skis Rossi E84s, int/adv level. 5’9” 170. Moving to PNW. Baker will be an hour away.

Looking to dump the 84s for something more suitable for powder and heavy snow. I prefer side country and trees over groomers and hard pack.

Just demoed Enforcer 100s at 185 (all they had) at winter park. Charged great on all the runs but when I took them into trees or moguls they completely sucked and wished I had my E84s. Whether it was the ski or my ability they weren’t a good fit.

Looking at:
Kartel 108
K2 marksman
Volkl 90eight
Salomon Qst 99 or 106.

There are so many generic BS reviews on every sky that I can’t figure out which way to go. I’m leaning Kartel but Blister shows the Kartel being even more stiff than the enforcer and almost as heavy.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
You could hold the E84's and see what is happening there and what people are using.
The 84's will work for starters, we old farts skied a lot of loose snow on a lot of skinnier skis than that. Worst that might happen is you will become a more complete skier.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You should look at the Volkl 100-eights; I found them very well suited to the snow at Mt. Washington BC. Perfect in the deep snow in the trees, and while lacking grip for hard turns on groomed snow still able to cleanly carve lazy turns at high speeds returning to the lifts.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The ideal thing is to build a quiver with a carver and a powder ski.
You will get cascade concrete from time to time and which you still had a groomer ski.

You might consider the new K2 Mindbender 108, Dynastar Legend 106, just to name a few.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The obvious issue when demoing the Enforcer 100 is they were way too long for your size in tight spaces and bumps. They would be a ton of work for you there. I’m sure you’d have a different view of them if you tried the 170cm or 177cm size with traditional bindings that are much lighter than a demo binding.

What length are your E84 skis? I’d get a full tune of those with base grind and nice sharp edges to keep as your harder snow ski and then try out some wider skis for your “good conditions” ski out West.

The Kartel 108 and Marksman are heavily rockered free style skis with more forward mounts that are more for those jumping off things and skiers wanting a playful feel. Neither are light as well.
Prefer the Mindbender series over the current K2 twin tips.

Volkl 90Eight are full rocker and may have a feel you may not love so a demo would be in order on them. I like full rocker skis like that in soft snow off piste but I like the shock absorption of a ski with some camber on piste. Your results may vary.

A great ski for your needs might be the Enforcer 104 Free which has the great stability and crud ability of an Enforcer but with a more playful rocker profile and flex compared to the Enforcer 100. Super easy to swivel and pivot in bumps and trees yet can still rip groomers. Loving mine in those areas/all over the mountain. Kind off a mix of a free ride ski that is still very damp and stable. Try this ski in the 179cm or 172cm to see which you prefer.

Link to Blistergear review on Enforcer 104 Free.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-2020-nordica-enforcer-104-free

Last edited:
TS
C

caham212

Skier
The obvious issue when demoing the Enforcer 100 is they were way too long for your size in tight spaces and bumps. They would be a ton of work for you there. I’m sure you’d have a different view of them if you tried the 170cm or 177cm size with traditional bindings that are much lighter than a demo binding.

What length are your E84 skis? I’d get a full tune of those with base grind and nice sharp edges to keep as your harder snow ski and then try out some wider skis for your “good conditions” ski out West.

The Kartel 108 and Marksman are heavily rockered free style skis with more forward mounts that are more for those jumping off things and skiers wanting a playful feel. Neither are light as well.
Prefer the Mindbender series over the current K2 twin tips.

Volkl 90Eight are full rocker and may have a feel you may not love so a demo would be in order on them. I like full rocker skis like that in soft snow off piste but I like the shock absorption of a ski with some camber on piste. Your results may vary.

A great ski for your needs might be the Enforcer 104 Free which has the great stability and crud ability of an Enforcer but with a more playful rocker profile and flex compared to the Enforcer 100. Super easy to swivel and pivot in bumps and trees yet can still rip groomers. Loving mine in those areas/all over the mountain. Kind off a mix of a free ride ski that is still very damp and stable. Try this ski in the 179cm or 172cm to see which you prefer.

Link to Blistergear review on Enforcer 104 Free.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-2020-nordica-enforcer-104-free

E84s are 170. I agree the Enforcers were way to long for me. I will take a look at the 104 Free. Haven’t seen those yet.

When you say the Kartel has a more playful feel do you mean it pivots and slides easier?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
E84s are 170. I agree the Enforcers were way to long for me. I will take a look at the 104 Free. Haven’t seen those yet.

When you say the Kartel has a more playful feel do you mean it pivots and slides easier?

If you’re skiing on a lighter 170cm ski, any 185cm wider ski would have been a lot of work to be honest. Demo some skis in the 170-179cm range and they will give you what you want in a wider ski.

Any freestyle ski like the Kartel with it’s more forward mound(about 4.5cm back from center or about 4cm closer to center than an enforcer) and increased rocker will pivot and slide easier but not be as stable or grip as well on groomers. Kartels are a playful freestyle skis with a backbone but are VERY different coming from a E84.

The Enforcer 104 Free is like a bit of the freestyle/playful feel of a Kartel mixed with the better edge grip and carving performance of an Enforcer. Not quite as much rocker as the Kartel but more on the tail than an Enforcer 100 and the binding mount is back from a Kartel but more forward than traditional skis.

Honestly think this ski in a more appropriate length for you will be perfect. I’m 6’3”/175, ski aggressively and the 186cm version is perfect for me. A step down or two in length for you will be not only lighter but softer in flex as that increases with length on most skis. Will be much easier to handle everywhere without much lost in stability

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If runs are packed out there is no reason to be on wider ski it feel cumbersome.

TS
C

caham212

Skier
Alright, so I’ll keep the 84s for firm days and check out the 104 Free in the right size. Any other 100-110mm ski suggestions for going to PNW conditions? I do really want something that I can flick when I need to. I keep seeing the Kartel 108 in everything I read which is why I was considering it.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’d definitely go 10something and keep your Experiences. I ski a little bit south at Stevens - snow starts soft, but it’s warm here and by midday snow can get pretty thick or chunky. One-oh-somethings are ubiquitous, but the strength in crud vs soft snow really varies person to person. Baker has a really great lineup of demos for an indie hill - I’d test some more out to see what clicks with you (Rustlers could be a good fit if you liked the enforcers but wanted something quicker in the trees, QSTs, Backlands, Atrises, and Legends all work pretty well for skiers that are still progressing.) If you go with ON3P, just keep in mind that they measure after they press. I usually ski a size 5cm smaller than my usual for their skis.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Alright, so I’ll keep the 84s for firm days and check out the 104 Free in the right size. Any other 100-110mm ski suggestions for going to PNW conditions? I do really want something that I can flick when I need to. I keep seeing the Kartel 108 in everything I read which is why I was considering it.

The reason you see the Kartel 108 everywhere is that it is a very well made freestyle ski that can take lots of abuse. The Kartel 96(used to be 98) is the reference standard for a park ski that still has a backbone for skiing outside the park. Watch any urban ski video and you will see lots of Kartel 96/98 taking more abuse than you can imagine and still surviving.
ON3P’s more traditional line is the Wrenagade series that is stiffer, has less tail rocker and a more traditional(further back) mount point. This would be more for skiers not skiing switch or going into the terrain park. Not as playful though and many complained there should be an “in between” ski and next year, the ON3P Woodsman will come out. Kinda like a Enforcer Free 104, it will straddle the line between a traditional and freestyle ski.

Moment, another hand made USA ski manufacture has a very exciting ski in this range just coming out now in the Wildcat 108. Will be the playful charger of the group similar to the Woodsman but I assume lighter and stiffer in the Wildcat 108. Based on the fantastic Wildcat 116/118(improved and renamed Bibby) that the reference standard in free ride powder skis. Can swivel on a dime in trees yet charges through tracked snow/crud like a much heavier ski. The 108 Wildcat should be even more versatile.

K2 Mindbender 108Ti would be another great free ride ski in this range. Haven’t skied this width yet but many reviews that say it’s very good like the narrower models.

A little softer and lighter but still quite good options would be the Black Crows Atris and Armada ARV 106. Fun all mountain twin tips that would be used by a variety of users and abilities. Wouldn’t have the crud performance some of the heavier skis but would be very easy to ski.

With your size and staying in the 172-180cm range on these skis, they will all have no issue being able to flick and pivot easily with their mounts and rocker profiles.

Just have to demo something in this range to see what you like/don’t like about a ski to better guide your decision.

TS
C

caham212

Skier
Awesome. Lots of new skis to check out. Thanks for the input. Will keep 84s and demo all of these listed when I get there.

Last question...are there any reputable review sites out there in addition to blister? I’m getting tired of reading on every site how every single ski is amazing at every single thing.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For Baker, the Kartel is a good choice - if you want a pivot-y type ski rather than the charger that the Renegage 108 is. Actually I had a lot of fun when I demoed the Kartel and I’m not looking for a twin-tip ski.

Also, keep in mind the Wrenegade 96, a very different type of ski than the other Wrenegades, less of a charger and much more of an all-mountain ski that just happens to be great in trees and moguls.

TS
C

caham212

Skier
For Baker, the Kartel is a good choice - if you want a pivot-y type ski rather than the charger that the Renegage 108 is. Actually I had a lot of fun when I demoed the Kartel and I’m not looking for a twin-tip ski.

Also, keep in mind the Wrenegade 96, a very different type of ski than the other Wrenegades, less of a charger and much more of an all-mountain ski that just happens to be great in trees and moguls.

Would the Wren 96 be a good replacement for my E84? Would they be way more stiff or comparable? Mine are pretty worn.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Honestly, I think the Wren 96 would be all you need at Baker. You don’t really need a frontside carver as there aren’t many groomers, you want an all-around crud buster/mogul ski/tree ski that’s pretty easy to ski, and the Wrenegade 96 checks all the boxes. Maybe a wider ski on a deep powder day, but for the width these will do nicely in deeper snow until you figure that one out.

TS
C

caham212

Skier
Honestly, I think the Wren 96 would be all you need at Baker. You don’t really need a frontside carver as there aren’t many groomers, you want an all-around crud buster/mogul ski/tree ski that’s pretty easy to ski, and the Wrenegade 96 checks all the boxes. Maybe a wider ski on a deep powder day, but for the width these will do nicely in deeper snow until you figure that one out.

Even with the woodsman coming out in a few weeks?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know about the Woodsman, hadn’t even heard of it yet. ON3P did release their 18-19 skis in the Spring last year, so maybe they will have some new skis ready to order soon. I guess it depends if you need a “somewhat-more-playful-ish” ski.

Sponsor

Staff online