• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Inspired by @va_deb ’s thread

Who else over packs for a destination ski trip?

GEEZ, we way over did it on our trip to Utah

But... @Mrs. 53 failed to realize we had a washer and drying in our accommodation.

I could have packed 1/3-1/2 less.

We discussed it yesterday, we might be able to get by with two checked bags (one of which is skis) for 8 days in March as we know we will be able to do wash.

We got spoiled doing 14 day trips to the Caribbean with ONLY carryon bags

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm an over packer, we both are. I guess we both like choices. We have a rule though, one checked bag each outside of skis so whatever you can fit in that bag, well have at it.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I create piles of what I need for clothes then put back half. I will wash my longjohns and socks in the sink if they get ripe. I chose one pair of skis for the expected conditions. I got stung with that choice when I went to Davos to race in the Parsenn Derby a few years back. I brought race skis and for slippers and free skiing I brought 165 cm 110 mm Atomic Powder Plus. The conditions were firm and 110 mm poweder skis weren't really up to it. I did hit nearly 60 mph on them in the public speed trap. Dicey.

0703 Davos 113.jpg

I did have fun though as our team placed and I placed in class in the individual race.

0703 Davos 215.jpg

Priska with her 1st place Women trophy and me with the second place team trophy.

0703 Davos 248 rot.jpg

Consuming some of the perishable swag.

The Derby is an exciting event: http://www.scdavos.ch/events/parsenn-derby.html

Last edited:

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh yes, us too. Even though I put stuff back after laying it out, I still end up with extra, although I'm getting closer. We each have ski tube, suitcase, and carry-on, but can't seem to consolidate it down to just one suitcase.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A lot depends on the variety of 'dress up' that you have to deal with. My vacas are usually low end so wearing turtlenecks and jeans out at night is ok. Usually whatever is 'overpacked' is street stuff, not ski related.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We spent 10 nights out there, only ate out once... We like to cook the food we like :)

And let’s face it, it is WAY less expensive to cook than go out. I’d rather spend the money on other stuff, it is a win-win, better food and cash to buy lift tickets.

Hmm, can’t wait till we are season pass’ers

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
No question I overpack.

Up until the last few years I went for a month at a time. Not anymore. I'm trying hard to learn to pack for shorter periods of time. The best approach (for me) seems to be more base layers and fewer outer layers and no more than 2 pairs of skis, down to one versatile pair of skis on most trips.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to. Now I can comfortably travel for a week or more with a ski bag and a carry on boot bag without having to wash anything. If I get home from a trip with clothes that were unworn, I overpacked.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
We're getting better, we bring less and less stuff with us each time. It tends to be the street clothes that don't get worn and if you have access to laundry facilities (a must have for a 6 week stay) then you're washing the soggy ski stuff every two days anyway. I have a flannel lined pair of jeans that I'm sure to bring and a few other things - dressing up in Whitefish doesn't require a lot of sartorial expertise or resources.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We are keenly aware of baggage fees now..and also trying to lug gear with a toddler running around like a cat with its tail on fire... So we pack light these days..I mean..I don't mind the stank after using the same base layers for 5 days..but some others might?? :huh: Not that worried..

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We are keenly aware of baggage fees now..and also trying to lug gear with a toddler running around like a cat with its tail on fire... So we pack light these days..I mean..I don't mind the stank after using the same base layers for 5 days..but some others might?? :huh: Not that worried..

Your aren't (hopeful and) single. ;)

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Almost always pack too much street/evening clothes for my ski vacations. Packing shoes for town also takes up too much room.

Bulky non-ski items:
-Evening/town jacket (not the ski jacket)
-Other gloves (lobster claws don't really work for walking to dinner), hat, scarves, sweaters etc. Need more bulk when you aren't exercising on the mountain and the sun is down!
-Shoes. Snow compatible? Slipper for condo? Sandals for pool? Shoes for plane? Shoes for nice dinner place? My wife typically brings 5 or more pairs of footwear.... :roflmao:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I used to pack way too much stuff. But a couple years ago I went on a multi-day hiking tour in Nepal. We had porters to carry out stuff that we didn't need for that day's hike, but we were still limited to (I think...) 30 pounds of "stuff" for 15 days -- and that included camping gear. There was going to be zero opportunities for showers or laundry in that time as well.

That basically means you have two or three changes of clothes for two+ weeks. That'll teach you how to pack efficiently. That's obviously an extreme example of minimalist packing, but...

Basically, if I can't figure out how to use some article of clothing for multiple uses, then it's not getting packed. I pack my ski bag with clothes, I have my boot bag (carry on) and one other checked bag (helmet, ski jacket, toiletries, etc... all the clothes go in the ski bag).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I want fresh socks and base layer every day, but for 8 days that adds up. A couple times I went in planning for midweek laundry and that was better. My wife tries to get me to bring too much street wear, but I keep telling her that I am showering immediately before getting dressed and then wearing them for just a few hours. Shoes? One pair of airplane shoes, one pair to wear to wherever I bootup, one pair flip-flops, snd one pair slipper socks. Hmmm. That adds up too.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I want fresh socks and base layer every day, but for 8 days that adds up. A couple times I went in planning for midweek laundry and that was better. My wife tries to get me to bring too much street wear, but I keep telling her that I am showering immediately before getting dressed and then wearing them for just a few hours. Shoes? One pair of airplane shoes, one pair to wear to wherever I bootup, one pair flip-flops, snd one pair slipper socks. Hmmm. That adds up too.
Where does it stop MDF? Where?!?! Two words: steamer trunk. :eek::D

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I tend to overpack gear and underpack clothes. Traditionally it's been a lot easier to dig up something to go out in than to find that perfect piece of gear that does exactly what I need it to do, when I need it to do it.

This is not that big of a deal skiing in the states, but little Carribean islands tend not to have specialized gear, while cheap dresses are a dime a dozen. I have been known to travel with two 50# checked bags plus carry ons, but still only have two days worth of (non-sport specific) clothes.

These days having the perfect combination of baselayers and mid layers and face protection, etc., etc., etc. is priceless. But 1 pair of jeans and two sweaters will last a week.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Shoes? One pair of airplane shoes, one pair to wear to wherever I bootup, one pair flip-flops, snd one pair slipper socks. Hmmm. That adds up too.

:eek:

I don't have that many pairs of shoes! I have shoes that I wear everywhere, cycling shoes, hiking shoes, and ski boots. Two of those aren't real useful on ski trips.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Old days, fart bag.. two pairs of long johns, two pairs of socks, two turtlenecks and a sweater.. ONE pair of skis and boot bag with gloves, goggles.. spare socks,. and boots. Whatever else you need for street clothes

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
My wife is a great packer. One of the reasons I married here. :)
We take 2 suitcases for 4 people coming from Australia for a three week holiday. We do rent skis and boots though. The suitcases are normally within 100grams of the 23kg limit.
She doesn’t skimp either. We have everything we need and nothing we don’t.

Sponsor

Staff online