• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Over-Tight 4th buckle vs a Stiffer Shell

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My boot is a 2018 Atomic Hawx Ultra 110.
I started using Booster Straps a month or so ago.
I would have my 4th buckle essentially very loose, and I would hit the brick-wall quite late in my forward flex.
All was great with my boots and I really liked this setup with the Booster Strap.

So I was out the other day and had trouble getting over the front of my skis -> it was like my boot got really stiff and I couldn't flex forward
After an hour I realized by 4th buckle was done far too tight, and the flex of my Booster Strap was not coming into play.

Got me thinking:
How is a stiffer rated boot ( say 130-140 ) different from having a softer boot with the 4th buckle done tight, or too-tight.
Or does the tight 4th buckle create a forward lean problem ?
Could I go to a stiffer boot for more overall responsiveness, and add a bit of forward lean to compensate ?
I have already experimented with too much forward lean, which I know puts me in the back seat.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
A stiffer boot will be stiffer. (Not just the top buckle but clog as well). Most skiers I know so the top buckle up tightly.
If you need to run the top buckle loose to get forward into the boot, likely the boot is too stiff.
I know when I’m in a course or needing full performance from my boot, top buckles are tight and booster is pulled tight as well.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This situation "screams" fore/aft alignment issue. Of course within this issue are the factors of forward lean, shell stiffness, bootboard ramp, etc. It is Pandora's box...

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm quite happy with my Booster strap setup with how my boots respond, but the previous days outing just got me thinking more about all things boots.

I was intending to buy / get fitted for a stiffer boot at end of season, now that my local shop ( Corbetts ) have most everything at 30-40% off . But I think I will hold off until next season, after I understand more of what I like from a lean and delta perspective. My current Hawx Ultra 110 has 3 lean settings ( 13,15,17 ) , and as of very recently , I am no longer afraid of removing my binding toes, inserting shims, etc. I know Noodler is very dialed into these parameters with his boot setup, and I've paid close attention to his experiences.

On one of our recent trips to Austria, my pal had boots made at a Strolz dealer. He had been in a Strolz boot for 8 years previously. I was with him during the entire fitting and molding process, and several followup visits. Not once did I hear anyone talk about lean, delta, or canting.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'm quite happy with my Booster strap setup with how my boots respond, but the previous days outing just got me thinking more about all things boots.

I was intending to buy / get fitted for a stiffer boot at end of season, now that my local shop ( Corbetts ) have most everything at 30-40% off . But I think I will hold off until next season, after I understand more of what I like from a lean and delta perspective. My current Hawx Ultra 110 has 3 lean settings ( 13,15,17 ) , and as of very recently , I am no longer afraid of removing my binding toes, inserting shims, etc. I know Noodler is very dialed into these parameters with his boot setup, and I've paid close attention to his experiences.

On one of our recent trips to Austria, my pal had boots made at a Strolz dealer. He had been in a Strolz boot for 8 years previously. I was with him during the entire fitting and molding process, and several followup visits. Not once did I hear anyone talk about lean, delta, or canting.

And what sucks is that it's not like I followed any kind of true "scientific" protocol to get "there" for my fore/aft balance alignment. It was just lots of experimentation through trial and error. It really became obvious that these variables changed my skiing as I moved between different skis and boot setups. It was when I began making the variables of my other gear match a known "good" setup of binding delta and boots that I realized that the optimal performance I was getting was coming more from having the alignment matched and correct than the equipment itself.

That said, now that I do know my "numbers", I have become more tuned into the differences in skis and boots when I know that they're setup to my preferences.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How far over the front of your skis do you want to be? You want to have all your joints bent equally, not overly flexed in the ankle. I think you need to have your buckles snug in order to engage the boot and utilize its flex characteristics. By having them loose , you are losing the power transmission

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Totally FWIW ...

I often find that if I start the day with a tight cuff, it's hard to get my skis behind me where they should be. So I start out kinda loose. After couple of runs, as I get my stance and balance dialed in a bit better, I need to tighten things up for precision. In other words, your situation may be more normal than you think.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was intending to buy / get fitted for a stiffer boot at end of season, now that my local shop ( Corbetts ) have most everything at 30-40% off . But I think I will hold off until next season, after I understand more of what I like from a lean and delta perspective. My current Hawx Ultra 110 has 3 lean settings ( 13,15,17 ) , and as of very recently , I am no longer afraid of removing my binding toes, inserting shims,

Do yourself a favour and start a sheet keeping track of this. Make sure to include terrain steepness, and ski type.