• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Moe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question regarding heat moldable shells-- if cooked a 2nd time, does the plastic revert back to the original volume before remolding? I ask because I just had a pair of Hawx Ultras cooked by a bootfitter who placed foam pads along the outside of my feet, but the boots now feel a bit too wide and would prefer more fit tension along the middle of my foot.

Possible to fix?

Jeffc7

Booting up
Skier
I've done both the Salomon Xmax/Xpro and Atomic Hawx at home. Heat oven to 220. I removed the liner and the footbed. Heated for 10-15. Remove from oven, insert footbed and liner immediately. Buckle up and make sure you have a good heal pocket. Old trick, lay a piece of 2"x4" on the ground, step on it with toes on the wood and heal on the floor. I was told by a rep to let it cool naturally and not stick your foot in the snow. I did add padding to hot spots on my foot. I just layered 4-5 bandaids on trouble areas. Do one boot at a time. Don't try and do both. Wear gloves. 220 degree plastic is hot. Good luck. It's really pretty simple.

Moe

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've done both the Salomon Xmax/Xpro and Atomic Hawx at home. Heat oven to 220. I removed the liner and the footbed. Heated for 10-15. Remove from oven, insert footbed and liner immediately. Buckle up and make sure you have a good heal pocket. Old trick, lay a piece of 2"x4" on the ground, step on it with toes on the wood and heal on the floor. I was told by a rep to let it cool naturally and not stick your foot in the snow. I did add padding to hot spots on my foot. I just layered 4-5 bandaids on trouble areas. Do one boot at a time. Don't try and do both. Wear gloves. 220 degree plastic is hot. Good luck. It's really pretty simple.
Thanks- but was asking if, on an initial fitting, the shell is molded with too much volume is it possible to REDUCE space that was stretched? Or have the boots now been permanently molded too large?

Jeffc7

Booting up
Skier
Thanks- but was asking if, on an initial fitting, the shell is molded with too much volume is it possible to REDUCE space that was stretched? Or have the boots now been permanently molded too large?

I could be mistaken, but pretty sure boots will not shrink after they've been stretched. Once it's big, it will stay big. The only remedy is to add padding, which is not ideal. I'd ask a boot fitter to be sure.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I could be mistaken, but pretty sure boots will not shrink after they've been stretched. Once it's big, it will stay big. The only remedy is to add padding, which is not ideal. I'd ask a boot fitter to be sure.

It depends on the plastic, but all the boots I've ever worked on will return to their original shape when reheated. The only real question in my mind is the Fischer Vacuum boots.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Heel, Fido. ;)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At this point, for 19/20, why not just go back to the bootfitter who heat-molded the Hawx or Xmax or Pro Machine in the first place? Things have changed.

This process has now become mainstream, with each company having new lightweight heat-moldable performance boots. In my experience, IF the guy is a good bootfitter, he'll be more than happy to re-heat and re-fit them with your new feedback to help him adjust things. For free, more than likely. Even if you got them somewhere else, more than likely. (At least that was the case for me.) He'll figure that most of the time, doing that will bring him a thankful new boot customer for the future.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had my Nordica PM120s cooked this year and it definitely fixed the issue I had where the boots were tearing up my shins. The boots do seem a bit softer now I am not sure if that is just in my head or if I am willing to drive the boots again now that my shins don't bleed. It does make me wish the boots were a bit stiffer.

Sponsor