• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heat. Lots and lots of heated options.
Kjus, Therm-ic, Descente, ....
Base layers with better wicking ability.
How about good shells that don't cost $4-500?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heat. Lots and lots of heated options.

I know, Hotronic, etc., but I would kill to pay a bit more for a true 130 boot with built-in heaters.

My wife has the women's Salomon heated boot (not recalling flex at the moment) and she says they are the second best present I ever gave her.

First place, of course, being our first lab puppy!

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Really hoping for 2-4” for testing. So many skis that really need some fresh to evaluate.

Looks like you're going to miss it by one day. I wish that nature would learn to do things according to our timeline.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The more significant storm is coming tomorrow, but Copper had two inches overnight. That's infinitely better than zero!

Webcams_-_Snow_Stake_Cam.jpg

And, the sun is out. Should be a fantastic day for our friends out there testing skis for us. Thanks!

Webcams_-_Center_Village.jpg

https://www.coppercolorado.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Fabric lamination is a super expensive step in the manufacturing process, especially for standard 3 layer shells where the protective inner layer gets bonded as well. Hence why even going with proprietary membranes over Gore or going with cheaper fabric construction like knits over wovens or polyester over nylon only puts $50-100 of a dent in the price compared to the top tier stuff.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Got a new 3L GoreTex Ski Shell (Marmot) for $260 at STP, but yeh, retails for $550+ :huh:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a new 3L GoreTex Ski Shell (Marmot) for $260 at STP, but yeh, retails for $550+ :huh:
I keep an eye on STP but unfortunately I'm not CS nor xxl+.:(

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Goretex ski jackets are cheaper in March/April. When it's a bad snow year they might even have your size.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Goretex ski jackets are cheaper in March/April. When it's a bad snow year they might even have your size.

I struck gold then, I got mine in early December :huh::D

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
AX is 78 underfoot, the AR is 83. I think it will be a winner. Expect a AR/MX84 Cage Match this fall.

I hope you throw the 86GT in the cage too, David (price wise) vs. two Goliaths.[/QUOTE]

I’m betting the Fischer ski holds up pretty well by comparison!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The AR is not jsut a
I hope you throw the 86GT in the cage too, David (price wise) vs. two Goliaths.

I’m betting the Fischer ski holds up pretty well by comparison![/QUOTE]
The AR is not just a wide AX, it feels like a different ski.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 to checking softlines at the end of the season (a few retailers have started moving select colors to clearance even as early as now), particularly in March. Generally softgoods don't have MAP and will drop a little earlier than hardgoods. If you know what fabrication you're looking for and what brands fit you well (or how to take your measurements & use their size charts), it's easy to pop them into Google Shopping or Amazon (with their 3P/FBA program that sources from a lot of smaller shops) to find the best price. I've had particularly good luck with Euro brands that have tried to launch in the US where forecasting's pretty challenging for retailers (like Haglofs, Salewa, Houdini, and Millet).

I'd also look at some of the alpine clubs like AAC or Mountaineers - depending on how much/what you're shopping for, an $80 membership can save a lot of money in the long run - AAC's gear discount page is pretty representative of the brands that play and the common discounts. Stock can be a little spotty if the discounts run through Experticity and brands come and go (especially if the offer seems to good to be true), so if you see Black Crows Atrises going for $350, buy them before the discount gets pulled two days later.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
The AR is not jsut a

I’m betting the Fischer ski holds up pretty well by comparison!
The AR is not just a wide AX, it feels like a different ski.[/QUOTE]
How does it feel different? A cross between the AX and a SR88 or something entirely unique. Inquiring minds want to know and I’m thinking about buying a pair of AX this week.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The AR is not just a wide AX, it feels like a different ski.
How does it feel different? A cross between the AX and a SR88 or something entirely unique. Inquiring minds want to know and I’m thinking about buying a pair of AX this week.[/QUOTE]
It has a heavier feel....heavier not is a bad way just damper. I would say it is a cross between a AX and SR88.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How does it feel different? A cross between the AX and a SR88 or something entirely unique. Inquiring minds want to know and I’m thinking about buying a pair of AX this week.
It has a heavier feel....heavier not is a bad way just damper. I would say it is a cross between a AX and SR88.[/QUOTE]

How would you compare the AR to the MX 84?

I know, I know ...... wait for the cage match.

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anybody get on the rustler 10s? Heard they tweaked it just a little and wanted to know if it was noticeable.