• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Out of Hestra Glove Lube - what to use?

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Finally ran out of the glove lube that came with my Hestra gloves. I can get some more but wondering what everyone else is using.

Thanks!

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
Have used Sno Seal https://www.paddypallin.com.au/sno-seal.html. It is okay, albeit quite thick and can be sticky. It is best applied by first heating the tube in hot water, making it runny, and hence making it is easier to put on a thin coat.

I still prefer the Hestra goop, but it is starting to get ridiculously expensive in Australia. An alternative might be something from Nikwax range.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you want some of the Hestra brand stuff, we sell it at the shop. I can pick some up for a fee :D

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you are in a rush; can also to autoparts store and use any leather conditioner of your choice, until you get more in. If you're in super rush, you can use lotion for humans in a pinch.

James

Out There
Instructor
Be aware that mice love the Free the Powder glove balm. It does smell good. I've had a mouse chew through an outer nylon bag, (Sync), a helmet bag, (Smith), then a zip lock to get at the stuff. I guess I had a small cloth in the ziplock with balm on it plus the container.

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Keep in mind they're now saying it's best for only 1 year. So do use it or lose it. I cracked open my jar, and it's definitely a lot more dried out then last season. I may mix in some liquid leather conditioner in it to see if that loosens it up.
I think you can take this to mean that the treatment will only last at most 1 season even if gloves are just sitting on the shelf.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
According to the western Canada Hestra rep, other leather conditioning will block the pores in the leather while Hestra ointment won't. Still, I use SnoSeal.

TS
Daves not here

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
Huh - my jar of Hestra conditioner lasted a long time with no issues. I just got some FTP conditioner with my new gloves - will see how that goes.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Got a half used tin of mink oil paste at the thrift shop for 50 cents.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So I picked up some of their glove lube and while I was there I got me a pair of the RX3 3 finger gloves. On sale for $60 - had to do it! Thanks again for reminding me.

Are the liners 3 finger too?

Sponsor

Staff online