• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OTG Goggles?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wow. That would be "blind as a bat" ! I thought 20/500 like me is bad. :duck:

Yeah, I usually win at this game ... yay me. I still have all of the risks associated with the football shape of my eyeball, but at least I can see without searching for glasses (that I can't see).

You can't wear contacts the several days before LASIK, so I went skiing with my glasses. We were on the east coast with like a 4 hour drive to the mountain, and the screw in my glasses fell out at 4am or something. Chaos ensued. Eventually got it fixed somehow - not by me, I was useless because I couldn't see anything, let alone a tiny screw - and then skied with glasses, which I did not enjoy. It made me very happy I was getting the surgery.

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Glad it worked for you ! So how did you like Tremblant ?
Liked Tremblant and had an excellent time meeting @Jilly , LOVED le Massif du Charlevoix. We are already planning a return trip to Quebec.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
maxresdefault.jpg

Fan is going out today, it says "Scott" on it but it is the same fan. I would be interested how it works.

MattL

Booting up
Skier
I broke down and bought the Smith I/OX Elite Turbo Fan. They look freakin' huge on my tiny head!! But I don't care if I can see with no fogging. Maybe I should buy a bigger helmet to balance it out? LOL.

My problem is usually my glasses fogging not the goggles btw.

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
maxresdefault.jpg

Fan is going out today, it says "Scott" on it but it is the same fan. I would be interested how it works.

Thanks @Philpug . We're expecting snow out here over the next two weeks so I should get a good oppo to try it out. Hope you find room for a few stickers in there as well :0

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
I broke down and bought the Smith I/OX Elite Turbo Fan. They look freakin' huge on my tiny head!! But I don't care if I can see with no fogging. Maybe I should buy a bigger helmet to balance it out? LOL.

My problem is usually my glasses fogging not the goggles btw.

@MattL - that's the same problem I was having which led me to start this thread. Will be interested to hear how the I/OX works for you!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks @Philpug . We're expecting snow out here over the next two weeks so I should get a good oppo to try it out. Hope you find room for a few stickers in there as well :0
Of course, how else are you going to plug the Pug!

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
I've skied with glasses, contacts and just tried the prescription goggle inserts. The inserts are an interesting option. I got mine from Zenni Optical, the online place that sells prescription glasses as low as $6.95. Last month they were selling the inserts and the goggle for only $41, which included an upgraded coating. The goggle isn't bad, but there is no way to get replacement lenses. I figure what the hell, the inserts cost at least $71 from other online sellers and you can always pop them out and put them in other goggles (the insert fits my Smith and old Maplus goggles).

My take? The inserts work great but fog a little when on the lift line or on a chair lift unless you take them off your face for a little bit. When skiing there is no issue with fogging. I guess a fan would fix that issue. A cheaper option is to take one of the $6.95 glasses and ski with it, since all my glasses also fog when standing around and not skiing. Skiing with the goggle inserts is definitely more comfortable than the glasses.

Note: The goggle and inserts I purchased are now shown as out of stock, so they may not replace them. The model number is 703318.

MattL

Booting up
Skier
It also matters what type of glasses you are wearing under those goggles. The best glasses for me under goggles are the rimless type. Best visibility, low profile and less fogging.

I go to VisionWorks for their bogo deals and get one of these types and a different style. And I pick out 2 frames that are on sale. Self employed here with no eye insurance.

Something like these -

216411_lg.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Power to you folks who can wear glasses while skiing, I could not. When I wore glasses, I felt like I was ten feet off of the snow. I resorted to skiing with poorly fitting contact lenses verses dealing with that.

MattL

Booting up
Skier
When I wore glasses, I felt like I was ten feet off of the snow. I resorted to skiing with poorly fitting contact lenses verses dealing with that.

Well I'm short....sooooo.

I couldn't do contacts unfortunately. That just did not work for me.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Power to you folks who can wear glasses while skiing, I could not. When I wore glasses, I felt like I was ten feet off of the snow. I resorted to skiing with poorly fitting contact lenses verses dealing with that.

Well I'm short....sooooo.

I couldn't do contacts unfortunately. That just did not work for me.

The contact on one eye occasionally (every couple times out) rolls up it, forcing me to blink or squint a lot until it rights itself. This only happens when skiing, so that is why I tried the goggle inserts. I'll definitely give the fan a try this season.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Bought a pair of Smith fan OTG goggles for this season so i could see where i'm skiing, and now of course i'm not skiing :(.

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Thanks @Philpug! The Scott OTG Fan arrived yesterday with a nice collection of PugSki stickers. Hoping to give the fan a trial run this weekend.

image.jpeg

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
It also matters what type of glasses you are wearing under those goggles. The best glasses for me under goggles are the rimless type. Best visibility, low profile and less fogging.

I go to VisionWorks for their bogo deals and get one of these types and a different style. And I pick out 2 frames that are on sale. Self employed here with no eye insurance.

Something like these -

216411_lg.jpg
Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a cheap pair of rimless online so I can give it a try.

Shoeclaque

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but I had the same problem (glasses, OTG's suck, can't wear contacts, bla-bla-bla) and I decided to buy a Kask visored helmet. I LOVE it. No fogging issues, very comfy, no snow inside the visor even during heavy snow storm, no wind even at very high speeds, comfy fit, hot but it breathes so not too much sweat in hotter conditions. It fits perfectly over the glasses and my field of view is better then with any googles, although I haven't tried the new Oakley flight deck. My old oakley OTG googles were sub-par. I've only tried the Kask brand so I don't know about the other ones (alpina, uvex, Carrera, etc) but I've talked with an OSBE owner and he told me snow was blowing inside the visor during storms and he felt heavy wind at high speed.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Have you worn it in deep powder? It sounds like a great solution but I have to wonder what's going to happen when the snow is billowing up into your face -- and under the visor?

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
I use smaller frames under Smith Prophecy goggles. Don't wear them on your forehead--never had a problem.

Sponsor

Staff online