• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OTG Goggles?

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Yesterday's runs brought on what I'm guessing is a common problem: glasses fogging under goggles. Ended up taking the glasses off and pocketing them for the remainder of the morning. Not ideal since I'm nearsighted. Thinking I have two options: contacts for skiing, etc. where I don't have to read; or a better pair of OTG goggles. Currently have a pair of Scott OTGs but was looking at the Smith power vented goggles online. Any thoughts/suggestions/lessons learned out there?

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I can't wear contacts due to astigmatism, so I have tried several OTG goggles. Not counting the fan versions Smih has three, I think: Knowledge, Prophesy and IO/X. I had the Knowledge but finally quit using it because it was just too big for my face and created breathing problems. The Prophesy is meant for smaller faces and fit much better. Changing lenses in either one is a huge PIA. I haven't used the IO/X but I think the fit is similar to the Prophesy and changing lenses is pretty easy. I also used an OTG goggle by Bolle, X-9, IIRC that I liked a lot. I needed a new helmet this season and got a Salomon so I got a pair of Salomon X-Max goggles, not OTG, but with some modification they work. If you wear a helmet, take the helmet with you and go try on OTG goggles to make sure they they fit your face and don't leave the dreaded gaper gap at the top of the goggles. FWIW, a lower volume goggle seems to reduce the chance of your glasses fogging. I had a fair amount of trouble with fogging when using the Smith Knowledge, but almost zero problems with the other goggles I mentioned, all of which are lower volume.

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Thanks Gerry. I'm kicking myself right now because I could have demo'd the Smith goggles yesterday at Tremblant. I ski with a Smith Vantage helmet so their goggles could be a solid option. Also thinking Oakleys as they have a good discount program for military.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Put em on in the lodge and DO NOT remove them at all until your are done ..for lunch ,then repeat .works like a charm ,

i never fog up my gogggles or glasses doing this and i ski at Whiteface , Tremblant and Gore

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Yesterday's runs brought on what I'm guessing is a common problem: glasses fogging under goggles. Ended up taking the glasses off and pocketing them for the remainder of the morning. Not ideal since I'm nearsighted. Thinking I have two options: contacts for skiing, etc. where I don't have to read; or a better pair of OTG goggles. Currently have a pair of Scott OTGs but was looking at the Smith power vented goggles online. Any thoughts/suggestions/lessons learned out there?

Huge problem here. Even the Smith goggles with fan don't work well. I'm too nearsighted to ski without the Rx glasses.
Smith no-fog cloth used on the glasses helps some. Helmets tend to restrict airflow causing even more fogging.
Most of the fogging occurs on the glasses inside the goggles.

This is quite bad with wet snow and temps near or above freezing.

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Yes! Ran into the same problem last year at Whistler. Will give @Warp Daddy's recommendation a shot.

Huge problem here. Even the Smith goggles with fan don't work well. I'm too nearsighted to ski without the Rx glasses.
Smith no-fog cloth used on the glasses helps some. Helmets tend to restrict airflow causing even more fogging.
Most of the fogging occurs on the glasses inside the goggles.

This is quite bad with wet snow and temps near or above freezing.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
The problem is exacerbated by removing them ,putting them n the helmet while on the lift etc , just keep em on

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I got eye surgery ... twice, actually. I suppose OTG would be less extreme.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another fan option, and this can be retrofitted to many goggles that are out there;

http://www.habervision.com/Haber-Eliminator-Click-for-more-info_p_26.html

I might have these somewhere around if you want to try them.

I got eye surgery ... twice, actually. I suppose OTG would be less extreme.

Like @Gerry Rhodes I has a real bad astigmatism and was uncomfortable wearing contacts, i only did when I was doing sports and outside activities...like skiing. I tried wearing my glasses skiing and just could not deal with the magnification that the glasses caused. I have since had Lasik done and it it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Like @Gerry Rhodes I has a real bad astigmatism and was uncomfortable wearing contacts, i only did when I was doing sports and outside activities...like skiing. I tried wearing my glasses skiing and just could not deal with the magnification that the glasses caused. I have since had Lasik done and it it was the best thing I ever did for myself.

*nod* I was legally blind (but correctable) as a kid. I started wearing contacts as a teen, but by the time I got to college they were getting progressively more uncomfortable. At 21 I got LASIK and had better than 20/20 vision. But I was young enough that my eyes were still changing, and the LASIK left me with massive haloes at night due to my large pupils. So I got PRK a few years ago. Longer healing process, but the haloes are gone and I'm happy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
*nod* I was legally blind (but correctable) as a kid. I started wearing contacts as a teen, but by the time I got to college they were getting progressively more uncomfortable. At 21 I got LASIK and had better than 20/20 vision. But I was young enough that my eyes were still changing, and the LASIK left me with massive haloes at night due to my large pupils. So I got PRK a few years ago. Longer healing process, but the haloes are gone and I'm happy.
Not too far off. I was 20/200 and a 6+ in both eyes for my astigmatism. I had Lasik done 2 days after 9/11 and it is still good. I had halo's early on but went away after a month or so.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, but presbyopia still looms, you young whippersnappers!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Not too far off. I was 20/200 and a 6+ in both eyes for my astigmatism. I had Lasik done 2 days after 9/11 and it is still good. I had halo's early on but went away after a month or so.

<-- 20/3000, -9 diopters as I recall. I think my astigmatism wasn't as bad as yours, though.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I find that the newer OTG goggles don't fit as well as the older ones. Part of the issue is the older goggles had a notch in the frame to allow the arm of glasses to pass. This in turn also allowed a little more air to pass in and out preventing fogging.

I still have old OTG goggles but the foam is going, going gone. :( So now Smith IO and contacts.

TS
Redleg

Redleg

Groomer Gooner
Skier
Tried @Warp Daddy 's suggestion and it did help. @Monique , I had lasik in '02, was at 20/220. Brought me to 20/15. However, unlike @Philpug , the Docs who did it told me I would probably be good for 10 years. They were right, the nearsightedness returned in late '12/early '13 and I had to begin wearing glasses again. Hoping to either get lased again or get contacts for my active sports.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Tried @Warp Daddy 's suggestion and it did help. @Monique , I had lasik in '02, was at 20/220. Brought me to 20/15. However, unlike @Philpug , the Docs who did it told me I would probably be good for 10 years. They were right, the nearsightedness returned in late '12/early '13 and I had to begin wearing glasses again. Hoping to either get lased again or get contacts for my active sports.

I had a moderate increase in nearsightedness to maybe 20/80 in the several years after LASIK, which I attributed to being so young when I had it - my eyes were still changing. Anyway ... I feel like someone at 20/3000 like me is less likely to quibble with the outcome. It was a life changer.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier

Glad it worked for you ! So how did you like Tremblant ?

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I had a moderate increase in nearsightedness to maybe 20/80 in the several years after LASIK, which I attributed to being so young when I had it - my eyes were still changing. Anyway ... I feel like someone at 20/3000 like me is less likely to quibble with the outcome. It was a life changer.
Wow. That would be "blind as a bat" ! I thought 20/500 like me is bad. :duck:

Sponsor