• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OSBE helmets?

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Saw these in Phipug's Wayne Wong thread. Went to their website: http://www.osbeusa.com/products/Light-Visor.html.

These look like a great idea, especially as I'm now skiing with glasses and hate it even though I've got some Scott Storm OTG goggles. Not all that expensive when you're getting a helmet and goggles (visor) for one price.

So, does anyone have experience with these things?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My son is on his 2nd unit. He loves them. Great for general skiing.
He switches to goggles when it is snowing.

meput

Booting up
Skier
I used an OSBE helmet for ~75 days about 4-5 years ago. It intrigued me after seeing it on the Realskiers web site. I am a glasses wearer. Aspects I liked: great field of vision, worked well with my glasses in the right conditions, no problem with the visor fogging when lifted in the lift line. Aspects that I did not like: mine was a full, over the ear model, and I could not hear as well as when wearing a helmet with ear flaps, my glasses fogged on snowy days under the visor, there was a moderate amount of buffeting under the visor at speeds above ~40 mph. When I sustained frostbite to the eyebrow region on a cold (- 15° F) day that was windy and while skiing briskly, I abandoned the OSBE. Currently using a POC Fornix MIPS with Anon M2 or Smith IO/X Elite fan (the fan is worthless).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There were a lot of these style helmets on display at SIA. I might have to take one for a test drive. If I still wore glasses, I would surely have it as a priority to try.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Everyone who gets forehead schwitz down into the goggle (and clouding therefrom) should.

(And grab yourself a Giro Air Attack or similar for summertime road riding while you're at it)

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
A friend bought a visor type helmet for her daughter. First time she wiped out the inside filled up with snow and it was impossible to keep clear after that.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I personally think the Head version is better.

Sponsor

Staff online