• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch, any update on these?

What would you like to know?

I'm not sure what exactly in the questionnaire led them to think this is what I wanted, but they built me a fat SX ski with a massively colossally powerful tail. Which is pretty much awesome, on any number of levels.

I am intentionally distinguishing between a GS ski and an SX ski - a GS ski will have a more pliant tip and damp shovel because it is not intended to be airborne and land into an edgeset.

Yeah, the tips are not pliant on these, these can pop up off the snow and come back without getting diverted from wherever you were steering them to. And you can do that all day. Does that make sense? If these things are not tipped way, way, way over, you are skiing the sidecut and not the flex. And you can't afford to be late in tipping them.

Are they supple? Not really. Not in a Stockli Eskimo-chewed sealskin way. Not in a Head Monster hyper-engineered-scientific-damping way. But they have none of the 'digital' feel of super-lightweight CF layups. This is CF with an old school feel.

If you like your 88 waist skis rockered, don't get these. If you like to ski coral reef, ask for a different softer flex.

If you like to twist your big toe into the turn to crank it some more, even on a sun-soft groomer, you will love these. If you liked the old Nordica Firearrows but wished for a bit more sensitivity - you will love these.

Anyway - I am skiing these -1 from the waist, and I've changed the edge angles to 1/4. The Kante Scharf linear structure is pretty sweet for New England; decent but not great for the Mid-Atlantic. If I was in California I'd have a cross or chevron or thumbprint by now.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
What would you like to know?

I'm not sure what exactly in the questionnaire led them to think this is what I wanted, but they built me a fat SX ski with a massively colossally powerful tail. Which is pretty much awesome, on any number of levels.

I am intentionally distinguishing between a GS ski and an SX ski - a GS ski will have a more pliant tip and damp shovel because it is not intended to be airborne and land into an edgeset.

Yeah, the tips are not pliant on these, these can pop up off the snow and come back without getting diverted from wherever you were steering them to. And you can do that all day. Does that make sense? If these things are not tipped way, way, way over, you are skiing the sidecut and not the flex. And you can't afford to be late in tipping them.

Are they supple? Not really. Not in a Stockli Eskimo-chewed sealskin way. Not in a Head Monster hyper-engineered-scientific-damping way. But they have none of the 'digital' feel of super-lightweight CF layups. This is CF with an old school feel.

If you like your 88 waist skis rockered, don't get these. If you like to ski coral reef, ask for a different softer flex.

If you like to twist your big toe into the turn to crank it some more, even on a sun-soft groomer, you will love these. If you liked the old Nordica Firearrows but wished for a bit more sensitivity - you will love these.

Anyway - I am skiing these -1 from the waist, and I've changed the edge angles to 1/4. The Kante Scharf linear structure is pretty sweet for New England; decent but not great for the Mid-Atlantic. If I was in California I'd have a cross or chevron or thumbprint by now.
So, their AI was a 50% failure?

sigiski

Booting up
Manufacturer
Nope, I didn't, I took a flyer on the whole Kante Scharf package. They look 1/2 which is fine for now - with detuned tips :cool:.

Oh, sorry for my hiatus, as much as I love technology, I sometimes get lost in these forums, or too busy in our factory. Anyways, I can give a few notes on the tune.

For base tune, we first and foremost focus on extremely flat bases. As much precision as you put in any ski molding/pressing technology, the bases are never 100 flat after finishing the press process. So the entire tuning process is VERY important to the ski performance (our head designer believes its 90% of the ski performance, which is maybe exagerating it a bit, but you definitely can destroy a world cup winning ski with a bad tune). We put extreme focus on base flattening, giving the ski a very high number of stone passes with low pressure, low speed and a lot of cooling. I have a bit of a japanese, zen-like approach to this. Until 6/2020, we then applied the above shown stone grind, with a flat section next to the edges, and a arrow-type structure in the ski center. This due to the fact that whenever you apply a stone structure over the base edge, the depth of the structure is technically always deeper than any base-side edge bevel, which results in a stone structure in the edge, which again results in more friction and worse "turnability" (not so easy to turn skis). All that said, this is just a lot of work, unfortunately no AI in these machines, just craftsmanship, and a lot of work that mostly goes unnoticed. Where we differ is what type of arrow structure we apply to the bases (deeper or not), and then the base-side and side edge bevels. For these, we have an algorithm in our configuration process, that determines an appropriate tune for the preferred geographical regions a user selects during the configuration process. E.g. in Colorado you have a winter average humidity of lower than 20%, a lot of fresh depreciation and as such very long periods of softer, hexagonal crystaline snow. Another extreme would be south of the Alps, eg. in the Dolomites, with a lot of southern exposure, primarily man-made snow, and mainly round-corn, watery type of snow. Agressive snow requires less aggressive settings, and vice versa. So we basically adjust this in 0,25 degree steps to your chosen territory.

Since 07/2020 our lives got a lot easier, as we now have a new technology, where - still on a stone-flattened ski base - we apply the structure with laser; as to my knowledge we are a first-one with that technology in the ski industry, since we were development partners with Reichmann machines in this process. We now can apply any free-form, CAD generated structure to ski bases; and also set the laser so that it creates the structure in the ski, but leaves the edges perfectly flat and polished.

sigiski

Booting up
Manufacturer
So, their AI was a 50% failure?
As mentioned higher above, I have to agree on the tune - basically not possible to make ONE tune for all regions of the US. Too big of differences between the larger geo-climatical conditions (humidity, slope exposure, shadowness, height, depreciation, etc.).

sigiski

Booting up
Manufacturer
The idea was that by filling in the questionnaire you would get a custom offer. Still waiting.
Hello DJ, sorry to hear that. Our initial idea was that you could just send yourself any configuration you created, to always later open that again. We offer telco and e-mail consultancy on any question you have. The easiest is you drop me an e-mail
and I'll get back. Kind regards, Sigi

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
As mentioned higher above, I have to agree on the tune - basically not possible to make ONE tune for all regions of the US. Too big of differences between the larger geo-climatical conditions (humidity, slope exposure, shadowness, height, depreciation, etc.).

You did quite well on this pair for the first 25 days of use :D

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welcome to the ai bandwagon, another way to impress people with buzzwords

James

Out There
Instructor
E.g. in Colorado you have a winter average humidity of lower than 20%, a lot of fresh depreciation and as such very long periods of softer, hexagonal crystaline snow. Another extreme would be south of the Alps, eg. in the Dolomites, with a lot of southern exposure, primarily man-made snow, and mainly round-corn, watery type of snow. Agressive snow requires less aggressive settings, and vice versa. So we basically adjust this in 0,25 degree steps to your chosen territory.
Where does that come out in numbers?
I would think waist width would come into account.
There’s also possibly a certain amount of over thinking involved. I know a bunch of people who ski with very little base bevel, <0.5, live in Colorado, and certainly don’t change for Vermont. Not sure what they do over 95mm waist, but those skis would be used only in deep 3-d very soft snow.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This company is bankrupt

Makes me wonder if their communications with me were so bad because they were in trouble or if they were in trouble because their communications were so bad.

Date of the last balance sheet
06/30/2021
Well.

I tried about three times to take some of their advertised excess inventory off their hands. They were not interested in my money.

Last edited:

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
They had probably been in trouble for some time. Like many small businesses the Covid-19 pandemic will likely have hit them very hard and last winter’s poor snow conditions will also not have helped.

They seem to have made the insolvency filing on the day you made your FB post about their poor service. In Austria the application must be filed with the regional court responsible within 60 days of the occurrence of insolvency. A prerequisite for the opening of insolvency proceedings is the existence of cost-covering assets or the payment of an advance on the costs of up to a maximum of EUR 4,000. So, they had a lots to do around that time.

The court ordered the closure of the company on 21. June 2023 and the insolvency administrator announced that the assets were insufficient to meet the claims of the creditors on 26. July 2023, so it looks like the assets will be liquidated. If so then any skis that are left might show up on eBay.

TYPS GmbH outsourced the manufacture of their Original+ skis, initially to Croc/Augment and later to Renntechnik Ski & Sportgerätebau GmbH in Ebbs, TYPS owns 10% of Renntechnik Ski & Sportgerätebau, their website https://renn-technik.at/ is also down.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So.... Original+ are out, Ramp are out, Kicker are out, Revision are gone?, CoreUpt are gone, Worth skis are gone, Bluehouse are no longer.

What ski companies do people not like for herself to demo next? :duck:

Last edited:

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So.... Original+ are out, Ramp are out, CoreUpt are gone, Worth skis are gone.

What ski companies do people not like for herself to demo next? :duck:
Next you're going to tell me Miller skis are out too.

Curious, they are not even listing the Augments anymore.