• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Opus Hut in Silverton, CO

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My friends who went raved about the hut and the terrain.

The price is a bit hard to swallow compared to European huts, but there aren't many other options. There are two others on Red Mountain pass -- a full lodge with tons of amenities and a yurt. Both full service with great bc skiing.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
My friends who went raved about the hut and the terrain.

The price is a bit hard to swallow compared to European huts, but there aren't many other options. There are two others on Red Mountain pass -- a full lodge with tons of amenities and a yurt. Both full service with great bc skiing.

There might be three now. Ownership of Opus opened a hut last fall (maybe?) it might be the one that you are thinking of?

Another, newer, full-service lodge just opened: gourmet meals, showers, flush toilets. Pricey. However given the location, lack of infrastructure, etc it has to be expensive to run.

If I remember correctly, and it has been a big week for us, Opus Hut is $130ish for private room, and $50 / head / day for food.

Compared to staying in Silverton it would probably be a wash, plus you are right in the thick of it when you wake up.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Yep -- Opus works out to $100 per person per day with food. That isn't terrible at all. But it is more than twice the cost of what an alpine hut with food costs in Switzerland.

Just a different model. Opus is nicer and will cater to your dietary needs. And less examples to dial in the model to adjust costs.

Really glad to see the model starting to pop up. And hope it continues across the San Juans and eventually in spots closer to the front range.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep -- Opus works out to $100 per person per day with food. That isn't terrible at all. But it is more than twice the cost of what an alpine hut with food costs in Switzerland.

Just a different model. Opus is nicer and will cater to your dietary needs. And less examples to dial in the model to adjust costs.

Really glad to see the model starting to pop up. And hope it continues across the San Juans and eventually in spots closer to the front range.

Ouch, when you start saying Switzerland is ‘cheap’ there is something wrong with the world... :ogcool:

I was just looking at the OPUS hut and others, thinking about possibilities, but that’s crazy for prices. A few weeks ago we spent our last night in the Alps in the Rifugio Granero, in the Italian Alps. Remote setting, all supplies flown in by Heli. Small hut, so no economies of scale either. $45/adults and $25 kids for dinner, bed and breakfast. What makes American huts so expensive?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Ouch, when you start saying Switzerland is ‘cheap’ there is something wrong with the world... :ogcool:

Switzerland in my experience was cheaper than most large US resorts. Of course, I chose to stay/ski in "mid-size" Swiss areas which are still larger than most anything in the states.

What makes American huts so expensive?

If I had to guess -- the Euro huts are just much more dialed. There's more of them, they've been doing it far longer. They probably don't need as much insurance due to reasonable legal and healthcare systems. In the five huts I stayed in, there also wasn't choice per se for dinner. You got what they were serving, you ate it. If you wanted beer or wine or extra bits you could buy those too. But even in the most extravagant evenings I barely racked up a $30 bill not including dinner and breakfast which was paid for with the stay. And that was a few beers, afternoon pie, a couple of extra coffees and lunch for the next day. Beds and bedding were simple but effective.

My friends who went to the Opus hut seemed to have a bit more luxurious experience -- gluten free options, veggie options, fancier food in general. More private feeling lodging, etc.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are the Opus huts on private property or on NF lands? If it's NF land that would likely be a part of the price. Permits often come with a cost to the outfitter. 100 bucks sounds very reasonable to me.

Edit: I read that it's on a mining claim. So, insurance and remote location come to mind as part of price. Still, 100 for bad ass lodging with all meals included? That's great.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, insurance and remote location come to mind as part of price..

Remote location does not explain the price. (Almost) all huts are remote, it’s kind of what makes a hut a hut.

As @jmeb wrote, part of it is the level of luxury.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Edit: I read that it's on a mining claim. t.

Either the NF's GIS files or geo-referenced sat photos are misaligned -- according to those two it's on NF land.

I'm not saying $100 is extravagant. I'm just saying its a bit more the 2x what you pay to stay a night in a hut in Switzerland inclusive of a 4 course (soup, salad, main, dessert) dinner, breakfast and marching tea.

Economies of scale. Reduction in available options/luxuries. And a social safety net that doesn't make the proprietier pay out the wazoo for insurance probably all contribute.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Either the NF's GIS files or geo-referenced sat photos are misaligned -- according to those two it's on NF land.

I'm not saying $100 is extravagant. I'm just saying its a bit more the 2x what you pay to stay a night in a hut in Switzerland inclusive of a 4 course (soup, salad, main, dessert) dinner, breakfast and marching tea.

Economies of scale. Reduction in available options/luxuries. And a social safety net that doesn't make the proprietier pay out the wazoo for insurance probably all contribute.

As per ownership, they found an abandoned mining claim to build the cabin on.

It would be interesting to know more about European Huts, i,e,. Ownership of building, land, government subsidies, etc.

$100 with most of your food is far better than you could do in Silverton. And in Silverton, at least in summer, you have to deal with wall-to-wall Texans.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@jmeb @martyg it can be both. As long as it’s outside designated wilderness areas, minerals on public lands can be mined under certain types of mining claims.

Good point.

And in fairness....I've been cited for for trespassing on private property when my justification was NFS GIS maps. As someone who has a degree in GIS....I should know better to believe that most organizations data products are truth.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
As per ownership, they found an abandoned mining claim to build the cabin on.

It would be interesting to know more about European Huts, i,e,. Ownership of building, land, government subsidies, etc.

$100 with most of your food is far better than you could do in Silverton. And in Silverton, at least in summer, you have to deal with wall-to-wall Texans.

There used to be a Mexican restaurant that I loved there. They had this old timey jukebox that was filled with old school country music. I guess that was 13 years ago though.

Sponsor

Staff online