• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve decided to take advantage of Corbett’s end of season sale and do some early Christmas shopping for my 11 and 13 year old daughters.

The 13 year old is about 5’7” and 125 pounds. The 11 year old is about 5’5” and around 110 and probably still growing. Both have been skiing a little over two years in the NE (PA and VT). They were both starting to ski parallel this past season on greens but the younger one is definitely more aggressive and ahead of her big sister. She’ll generally ski blues and will follow me on easier blacks.

They both have been on Craigslist specials (148s) the past two years. Was thinking I’d stick with more of a beginner/intermediate level ski and bump them up to something the mid 150 range for length. Wasn’t looking to break the bank but was hoping to get a few years out of them before they progress. I was looking at Atomic Vantage 75s and Head Pure Joys. Anyone have any experience with either of these or others that they could recommend? Thanks!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’ve decided to take advantage of Corbett’s end of season sale and do some early Christmas shopping for my 11 and 13 year old daughters.

The 13 year old is about 5’7” and 125 pounds. The 11 year old is about 5’5” and around 110 and probably still growing. Both have been skiing a little over two years in the NE (PA and VT). They were both starting to ski parallel this past season on greens but the younger one is definitely more aggressive and ahead of her big sister. She’ll generally ski blues and will follow me on easier blacks.

They both have been on Craigslist specials (148s) the past two years. Was thinking I’d stick with more of a beginner/intermediate level ski and bump them up to something the mid 150 range for length. Wasn’t looking to break the bank but was hoping to get a few years out of them before they progress. I was looking at Atomic Vantage 75s and Head Pure Joys. Anyone have any experience with either of these or others that they could recommend? Thanks!
At the sizes of your girls, they're on the brink of being on a woman's ski.

You should probably consider something in the hight 150's for both of them.
The Pure Joys are a real beginner ski.
The Vantage 75s are a lower level intermediate ski.
The Vantage is going to be a little more damp and stable, while the Pure Joy will be light weight and not quite as stable.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Both my daughters at that age progressed well on Volkl Yumis.....they are were on them for a couple of tweenage years...PA/NY/VT....and yearly out west trips.....the Yumi was a nice 1ski quiver for them.

They are 19/17 now and on Blizzard Sheeva9’s...

SkiMcP

At the junction of 89 & 93
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A good friend's daughter is a bit older and bit more advanced skills wise but is in the same ball park height and weight wise as your eldest. She loves her Nordica Astrals (she's on the 84s but I see Corbetts has a pretty nice deal on the 78s).

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Atomic Vantage 77 ti W is available for a very good price at Corbetts (don't forget listed prices are Cad$) and might be a better match for your older daughter. It should not be too much ski for her, being on too little ski as she has been might not have been good for her confidence. I do not like too stiff skis but as a parent of two 14 year girls (and a couple of boys) I suspect that I kept them on beginner/junior skis too long.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A good friend's daughter is a bit older and bit more advanced skills wise but is in the same ball park height and weight wise as your eldest. She loves her Nordica Astrals (she's on the 84s but I see Corbetts has a pretty nice deal on the 78s).
I was actually coming here to suggest the Astrals. Another option is the K2 Mindbender 85 Alliance.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all the good input. The Astral 78s look like a very good option. Corbett’s has 158s that would probably run me about $340 USD. For a little bit more I could go with the K2 Mindbenders or Volkl Yumi’s but length wise I’m looking at mid 150s or low 160s. I’m just wondering if a jump to 161 or 163s might be a little much? I can get the Atomic Vantage 77 ti for less in similar size ranges.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Atomic Vantage 77 ti W is available for a very good price at Corbetts (don't forget listed prices are Cad$) and might be a better match for your older daughter. It should not be too much ski for her, being on too little ski as she has been might not have been good for her confidence. I do not like too stiff skis but as a parent of two 14 year girls (and a couple of boys) I suspect that I kept them on beginner/junior skis too long.

Confidence was definitely an issue with her last year. She shot up several inches from the previous season and filled out. She had been the more aggressive of the two prior to that. She skied a narrow 67 under foot junior ski last year that probably didn’t help. Her feet have finally stopped growing so I’m planning on getting her fitted for a proper boot also.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for all the good input. The Astral 78s look like a very good option. Corbett’s has 158s that would probably run me about $340 USD. For a little bit more I could go with the K2 Mindbenders or Volkl Yumi’s but length wise I’m looking at mid 150s or low 160s. I’m just wondering if a jump to 161 or 163s might be a little much? I can get the Atomic Vantage 77 ti for less in similar size ranges.
A 158 in one brand may be similar to a 161 in another brand, or possibly a 156 in another brand. The way skis are measured is not consistent. Don't get too hung up on the numbers.
All three of those skis are great options. At some point, you can be okay with any of them and let the girls pick based on what appeals to them graphic wise.
Really can't go wrong.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep the skis that they are currently on are all camber with not much tip rocker. Dad will have to pick since it will be a surprise. I at least know no pink! Thanks again!

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier

The girls would be fine on the the Atomics or the Nordicas. Just be aware of the bindings issue. The 77ti Wcomes with system bindings, they are mounted but the toe and heel pieces need to be slid on the rails (trivial) and do need to be professionally adjusted (maybe $20). If you go this route do not make the mistake of paying a $70 mounting fee. Any bindings you get with the Astrals need to be professionally mounted (~$70) and may even need to be remounted if you to transfer them to someone else with a very different boot size. System bindings on the other hand adjust to a different boot size by flipping a lever.

To over simplify, East coast skiers prefer system bindings which are way less hassle and also sit a little higher on the ski which is an advantage when edging on harder snow. Western skiers are less inclined to like the extra height of system bindings in their conditions and are also less intimidated with the idea of having their skis drilled and bindings mounted. I have no problem screwing bindings onto race plates but otherwise, like most Eastern skiers, I am clueless and go for skis with system bindings.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Both my daughters at that age progressed well on Volkl Yumis.....they are were on them for a couple of tweenage years...PA/NY/VT....and yearly out west trips.....the Yumi was a nice 1ski quiver for them.

They are 19/17 now and on Blizzard Sheeva9’s...

@BC.were your daughters on the older version of the Yumis that didn’t have any metal in them. If I understand correctly the recent version has a band of metal and the Kamas are more in line with the older Yumis.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@BC.were your daughters on the older version of the Yumis that didn’t have any metal in them. If I understand correctly the recent version has a band of metal and the Kamas are more in line with the older Yumis.

Yes, no metal...2015 and 2016 models.....they were both listed on here for sale....

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @BC. I think I’m going with the 161 Yumis for my eldest and 161 Kama for her not so little sister. Just looking at bindings now... thinking about attack 2 11s.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks @BC. I think I’m going with the 161 Yumis for my eldest and 161 Kama for her not so little sister. Just looking at bindings now... thinking about attack 2 11s.
Nice...
Can’t go wrong with those skis......my daughters had Marker Squires on them....Volkl/Marker family...lol

Attack is a great choice.....check the price of the Attack 12.....if it’s close...go for the 12 over the 11.
Golden rule for the Attack is the 12/13 > 11.......especially if price is close/budget doesn’t matter.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep I’m reading up on the squires... they seem a fair amount lighter than the attacks. Just mounted attack 13s on a pair of Stocklis for myself so I already have the binding templates on hand. ogsmile