• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Opinons: Your Take on Compression Ski Bottom Layers

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
That heat exchanger mask IS the cat's ass !! Comfy no cold air goes into the lungs at all .the air is pre heated by the exchanger

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
No actually THIS polarwrap mask is the very best i have every owned . I have 3 versions , two are full wrap around which velcro under the helmet , i use them when temps and winchills exceed zero . I have a haf polarwrap heat exchanger that i wear on temps above zero to about. 30 degrees .

I had open heart surgery almost 7 yrs ago and cold air into the lungs AINT good . Ergo these puppys save the day since i like to ski fairly fast for an ole fart AND that adds even more windchill

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
To me there are a few benefits to the C pants , 1 is knee support, 2 is the keep you legs fresher longer, well worth the expense IMO

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
After several years of CWX and various neoprene knee braces, I found these, which actually stay in place AND breathe, making them moderately tolerable for a day of skiing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPOL7KA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I prefer them over the compression tights, which I hate. However, I remain unconvinced whether or not any of these actually do any good.

I am curious about the hatred of compression tights.....fully agree that many do not experience the positive results claimed by advertising ( great surprise, not, that advertising does not match actual experience), But, hate is a very uncommon response.
My Ortho did recommend a sleeve without a knee hole like the one you referenced. I've been using an elastic ace bandage, but, am looking of a good sleeve for walking the golf course in the summer. May just give it a try.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am curious about the hatred of compression tights.....fully agree that many do not experience the positive results claimed by advertising ( great surprise, not, that advertising does not match actual experience), But, hate is a very uncommon response.

Well, there is that whole stuffed-into-a-sausage-skin experience. And if you happen to schwitz just a bit more than the tight can transport - then there's the choice between clammy nethers and swamp ass.

James

Out There
Instructor
My Ortho did recommend a sleeve without a knee hole like the one you referenced. I've been using an elastic ace bandage, but, am looking of a good sleeve for walking the golf course in the summer. May just give it a try.
I suspect it's mostly from men. Getting them on is a pain. Women are much more used to dealing with clothing that takes work so it's no big deal. Guys think it's torture.

I picked up a pair of CWX insulators on sale at EMS. I've got probably 20 days on them. When it was super cold I wore a loose thermal over them.
They work. No question. I've had 3 knee ops with 2 acls.
The biggest problem is slipping down so the knee is centered. That's another pain that I guess people hate.

I'd like to try the opedix.
I think the biggest issue with all these is fit. Different length femurs and tibias in same height person is a problem. The market is ripe for custom sewing here.

Elastic Ace bandage? So 1960's.
Dude, stop waffling and get a pair. It's not that big a deal. I guarantee you'll like something about them. Maybe not all but something.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yes, "hate" was an overstatement. My biggest issue with them is that the size that provides the best knee support (tension) also provides too much squeezing for the rest of my bod!

My solution was to take a pair of size L lowers, and have my wife graft on the top of a set of biking bib shorts whose shammy had given up the ghost. A good solution -- though not available to many -- but I still prefer the knee sleeves. BONUS -- I can get the sleeves off pretty easily in the parking lot for the 40 minute drive back down the mountain!

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I've got 3 pair of compression tights, all 3/4 (boot top) length.

CW-X insulated: I'll wear these under shell pants if it's cold, and under insulated pants if it's really cold.

Virus non-insulated: under insulated pants if it's cold, under shell pants if it's not cold.

Spyder non-insulated: Same as Virus.

The bottom line for me is as I rapidly approach 60 I'm starting to feel the wear and tear. But, I skied a long day at PCMR last month, racking up 45K vertical feet, and wasn't sore at the end of the day or the next morning. I think my compression tights helped with that. That particular day I wore the Virus top/bottom set. Usually if I'm wearing the CW-X bottoms, I'll wear the Virus or Spyder top as I don't have the CW-X top.

Nutshell: I like 'em. I wear 'em. No problems getting them on and off, but being into road biking for decades I'm used to that sort of thing.
;)

As always, YMMV.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I stand corrected....Hi Jenny good to hear from you.
I suspect you think I'm Rainbow Jenny - but I'm not. Just thought I should mention it, because I'm pretty quiet on this forum so didn't want you to think she wasn't responding.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
of the above brands I only have the CW-X - the biggest definite, undeniable help has been on coral reef/death cookie days. The top of Mineral Basin for example.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Another + 1 on CWX insulated stabilizer 3/4 length. Thing I really don't like about CWX (besides the price) is the absurd profusion of models, among which it's really hard to differentiate. They do a terrible job with that. How many different kinds can you usefully make? Seems designed to make profit rather than happy customers.

Also note that for those of us who run cold, these - even the "insulator" ones - are essentially no help from a heat-retention point of view. On colder days I have to wear thicker fleece tights over them, under my shell pants. Or even under insulated pants, if it's down in the single numbers or lower.

James

Out There
Instructor
I agree the cwx insulators are not the greatest ... insulators. Also the absurd model choices. Let alone sizing charts.
Thankfully, I was in a store, they're on sale, rare, and I just picked the insulated ones. Full length.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
My opinion is that if you drink enough beer and eat enough calamari at Incline Village that any base can become compression layers:eek:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My opinion is that if you drink enough beer and eat enough calamari at Incline Village that any base can become compression layers:eek:

How do squid get to Nevada?

(There should be an amusing riddle in there somewhere.)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January