• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Opinons: Your Take on Compression Ski Bottom Layers

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I've started a couple of threads dealing with the subject of my aging, achy knees. I've been fighting some knee pain this season that occurred during pre-season conditioning, the knee seems to be doing some natural healing and today, I had my best day on the mountain in 5 weeks. I am considering doing an upgrade to my existing 3/4 length Salomon compression bottom pants, to one of the higher end pairs, CWX or Opedix. My experience with the Salomon pair is slightly positive, in that, they do provide some support for both thigh and knee, but, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the improvement about 3. Presently, I've been using a knee brace for additional support over the compression gear, and, find that is definitely an improvement, bringing the total improvement maybe up to a 5 or 6. Still, no magic, but, I am not expecting miracles.

So, I am curious as to what anyone has experienced with either CWX ( the less expensive option) or with Opedix ( the more pricey option)?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought the CWX pants last year, thinking the same kind of things you are. Wore them several times, but found the downsides exceeded the up. Your experience may be different as you already have worn compression pants, but I could not stand them. Strangled me at the waist (ok, maybe I'm a bit chubby), drooped at my knees so they didn't compress where I wanted, and generally gave me the "girdle I can't wait to get out of" experience. I'm not a fan.
Now I wear regular tights and a soft knee brace.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Ah. You might have found an explanation of the idea behind such a brace - to reduce pain by transferring load to the still-good portion of the joint. A softsleeve brace really can't do that because it can't be loaded in compression. Neither can tights.

Anyhow, back to tights.

StoicDude

Booting up
Skier
I have the Opedix Core Tec. I like them. I don't know how good they really are but they do feel like they give me. Good amount support. I ski 3-4 Times a week so my legs are in pretty good shape to begin with. It is very pricey piece of clothing/ equipment, but I will take anything I can to enjoy skiing.
Opedix also has a no questions asked 30 day money back guarantee. As somebody else already stated, if you are not slim, it will be tight around the waist.

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
I've started a couple of threads dealing with the subject of my aging, achy knees. I've been fighting some knee pain this season that occurred during pre-season conditioning, the knee seems to be doing some natural healing and today, I had my best day on the mountain in 5 weeks. I am considering doing an upgrade to my existing 3/4 length Salomon compression bottom pants, to one of the higher end pairs, CWX or Opedix. My experience with the Salomon pair is slightly positive, in that, they do provide some support for both thigh and knee, but, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the improvement about 3. Presently, I've been using a knee brace for additional support over the compression gear, and, find that is definitely an improvement, bringing the total improvement maybe up to a 5 or 6. Still, no magic, but, I am not expecting miracles.

So, I am curious as to what anyone has experienced with either CWX ( the less expensive option) or with Opedix ( the more pricey option)?
As Mike knows, I started wearing the CW-X Stabilix 3/4 compression pants a few weeks ago. My diagnosis is a slightly torn (or frayed) meniscus and osteo arthritis in the left knee and, starting this year, something feeling pretty similar in the right. I am fortunate that I have no swelling and just occasional semi sort of locking snapping sensations (nothing that can't be shaken out so far). They tended to ache after skiing or working out to get ready for skiing. On bad days I would come home and ice them down followed by heating pads for the rest of the night. That usually got them back in usable condition for the next day. I thought about using compression sleeves to see if they would help but could not find sleeves that didn't move after a short period of use. That lead me to try the compression pants. A friend at our mountain who had a serious knee injury a couple of years ago told me he used CW-X, so they are the brand I tried. After a few weeks of use (3 - 4 days a week) I think they are doing a pretty good job. I haven't had to ice the knees down at all since i started using them (I still use the heating pad...it makes the knees, or anything for that matter, feel better). I don't get the snapping sort of locking sensation anymore and my knees feel fine all day while skiing. They do require a fair amount of effort to get on but they seem to stay in place pretty well. They don't feel that confining to me around my waist once they are on, but I may have just gotten used to them by now. As an added bonus, they make it easier for me to zip up my jacket (my jacket seems to have been shrinking around my waist and hips the past few years...weird). Anyway, I think they work. At the very least, they keep all the moving parts in there together in one place.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought the CWX pants last year, thinking the same kind of things you are. Wore them several times, but found the downsides exceeded the up. Your experience may be different as you already have worn compression pants, but I could not stand them. Strangled me at the waist (ok, maybe I'm a bit chubby), drooped at my knees so they didn't compress where I wanted, and generally gave me the "girdle I can't wait to get out of" experience. I'm not a fan.
Now I wear regular tights and a soft knee brace.

Maybe need some Spanx as well!!! :)

TS
Living Proof

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
http://www.forbes.com/sites/allison...-make-you-a-better-faster-skier/#71d064084f89

Targeted internet marketing had the above thread pop-up regarding Opedix. It is written by the gear editor of the Diva forum, interesting in that she has not yet used the product, but, still touts the claims of Opedix. Supposedly, Opedix has performed studies that indicate their product is marvelous (pardon the sarcasm). I be willing to bet a fair amount that Opedix will gladly comp her pair.:eek:gcool

A minor find from a recent visit to my Orthopedic specilist is that wrapping my knee with an ace bandage on a regular basis has helped alleviate knee pain.

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
I use the CW-X 3/4-length. I'd report a modest improvement over no tights. I looked at the Opedix, but they seemed to have some part that had to go down in the boot and I didn't want that, or the price.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My take is depending on fabric they can be very warm given their weight and I wear them cross country skiing, trail running and hiking. However my keep pains are such that with alpine skiing I don't like my knees constricted in such a way to feel like the patellas are being tugged on, especially so bent sitting on the chairlift. If my knees happen to be achy from over use, east coast humidity, atmospheric pressure changes etc, "tight" compression tights make them feel 10x worse. I can't get to the lodge quick enough to take them off.
On the other hand my hips tend to feel better with a degree of compression support and when they are achy I'll wear light underwear type compression shorts.
Of course I could be alone here with this pov, we're all different as are our injuries.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Use both 3/4 length and bike compression shorts on occasion ...i mix them up but really prefer the bike shorts under a very lite pair of fleece lined compression long undewear on a damn cold day .. Talking below 5 degrees

This combo is great to keep hamstrings in check also use compression tops under one other t echnical layer . Very satisfied

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
^ I'd certainly hope you're using the type of bike shorts without a chamois!

Nope mine have a chamois and it is awesome on the damned cold old Hall chair lifts when the temps uo here on the border often go below zero . Keeps te "troops " happy

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ eek I couldn't handle that bulk.
Part of the reason I wear compression tights or shorts hiking and running is every darn pair of "built-in" running shorts I've tried and all athletic shorts with my choice of underwear always end with me getting a chaffed inner thigh crotch area:(

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ Yes!
And thanks. I have a few of the Hind Animals, nice simple construction that actually works. Not the easiest things to find either, I bookmarked the page.

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hey when the windchill is wicked and it often is up here ,we're talking windchills 20 -40 below zero you wear stuff that warmer climes might not ..just sayin . Never ever been chafed .

But then again we NORTHMEN are a tough and hardy stock. Hahahaha hell i have been out in 75 below zero windchill and just a short time ago at Whiteface it was 114 below windchill . On some occasions i have worn the bike shorts and 2lite fleece pants under my spyder ski pants ., with a soft shell under my Karbon jacket heres a pic it was wicked that day also had on a heat exchanger face mask . Look like michelin man BUT was comfy and rocked it all day
image.jpeg