• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Opinions? Smith I/O X Turbo Fan (and the lens options)? Small face

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
After yet another powder day where I spent too much time dealing with fogged up goggles, I'm really interested in a fan for my goggles.

I tried these on at the store today. They are ... huge. But they didn't push on my nose at all, they just looked huge. I'm thinking they may have better peripheral vision with all the hugeness? Does it really matter, as long as they don't pressure my nose? To be honest, my Anons actually push on my nose more than these big guys do.

Everyone tells me their Anons don't fog, but mine sure do. The salesguy said that maybe it's because the WM1s I have (women's model) are lower profile, so the lens is closer to my face. Or maybe I'm just a sweaty gal - I had fogging issues with other goggles, too. He told me I'm not supposed to rub the inside of the goggles when they're wet, and I asked him how I'm supposed to avoid doing that when I'm on a slope and I can't see s**t. He did not have a convincing answer.

I have a friend who uses these fan goggles - she's a sweaty person, too. She wears a size medium helmet (I wear small) and says that yes, they are huge, but you get used to it. It's mostly a look thing - and honestly even my women's goggles look huge on my tiny tiny face. So it's a matter of degree. She said she tried add-on fans, but these are much better.

The salesguy said that Smith goggles have a baked-in anti-fog technology that's better than other brands - is that true or false or somewhere in between? He also claimed that while you shouldn't wipe the inside of any lens while wet, the Smith was more able to withstand such abuse. He also said that women's goggles and certainly mine tend to be lower profile, so the lens is closer to my face and more affected by the vapor thereof. And maybe that helped explain why the men I know with Anons haven't had fogging issues.

He also said that since I have a Smith helmet, Smith goggles will work best with my helmet for venting - is that marketing or truth?

Do any of you have experience with the lens options? It looks like they come in three sets -
* Ignitor Mirror / Red Sensor Mirror
* Green Sol X Mirror / Red Sensor Mirror
* Red Sol X Mirror / Blue Sensor Mirror

I'm gunshy because I've already had the experience of buying the Anons and then hating the lenses they came with and ultimately buying the Silver Amber lenses - which I adore. But I can already picture spending $275 on the fan goggles and then another ? dollars on a different lens.

My Anons are fine on dry days. But on snowy days, they just fog and fog and fog. If I can't see, I can't ski.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the I/O 7 with the red sol X and blue sensor lenses. I don't have fogging issues with them. They do make an Asian fit in the fan version that might be a bit smaller.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the same lens combination and they work fine for me. In the past, I have had a big tendency to fog up with goggles. Previous to the I/O 7, I had an earlier Smoth goggle with the fan -- they worked well, but the noise of the fan took some getting used to. Since using the I/O 7 goggles, I have had no problems with fogging. These are supposedly good for wearing over glasses, and my theory is that the larger goggle allows for better air circulation....

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have the I/O 7 with the red sol X and blue sensor lenses. I don't have fogging issues with them. They do make an Asian fit in the fan version that might be a bit smaller.

The Asian fit idea - that's intriguing! But I don't think that's for small faces so much as for shorter noses, or something, right?

You can see from my profile pic that even the women's Anon looks massive on my face.

James

Out There
Instructor
If you're sensitive to blue light do not get the Smith red sensor mirror. Allows too much blue. I can't stand it. Along those lines the red mirrored will transit more blue than the green/blue mirror.

We have posted lots of info on lenses in a couple threads on epic. You could also look up @ uilleann (sp?) - brian who has a shop in Utah somewhere. Very knowledgeable.
Asian fit is flatter nose. Fogging and wiping- yeah what to do? Don't know. They say don't wipe. Catch 22.

Suspect that you need either over the glasses size or a fan. If the fan model is larger than your avatar...well can you breathe?
Maybe Osbe helmet/lens?

Last edited:

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
My Smith's came with the Green Sol x / Red Sensor Mirror. As James indicates, there are some excellent Epic discussions about the Smith lenses. Memory tells me that the Blue Sensor Mirror is preferred in low light by many, the Blue Sensor package was not in stock when I made my purchase. I have no issues with the Red Sensor, it is far better in low light than anything I ever owned prior. I use that lens everyday since I made the purchase, as, it works well in all but the brightest light. Bright light will be more an issue for you as you live in Co.
I share your pain about not wanting to make an expensive purchase based on hope that it will meet your needs. Can't help with the face fit or fog issues.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Suspect that you need either over the glasses size or a fan. If the fan model is larger than your avatar...well can you breathe?
Actually - the Smith fan goggles push on my nose less than the Anons from the picture. The nose piece on the Smiths goes higher. Weird, right?

So, perhaps I shouldn't worry about looking like a bug, since I already do ...

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My Smith's came with the Green Sol x / Red Sensor Mirror. As James indicates, there are some excellent Epic discussions about the Smith lenses. Memory tells me that the Blue Sensor Mirror is preferred in low light by many, the Blue Sensor package was not in stock when I made my purchase. I have no issues with the Red Sensor, it is far better in low light than anything I ever owned prior. I use that lens everyday since I made the purchase, as, it works well in all but the brightest light. Bright light will be more an issue for you as you live in Co.
I share your pain about not wanting to make an expensive purchase based on hope that it will meet your needs. Can't help with the face fit or fog issues.

My typical day is a combo of overcast and sunny. Even when it's sunny, some of the places I ski are in shadows. I really wish these swappable goggles would just come in one *really good* all-conditions lens instead of two specialized lenses where I typically need to buy a third. This was not an issue buying pain in the butt swapping goggles like my old Oakleys.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
My typical day is a combo of overcast and sunny. Even when it's sunny, some of the places I ski are in shadows. I really wish these swappable goggles would just come in one *really good* all-conditions lens instead of two specialized lenses where I typically need to buy a third. This was not an issue buying pain in the butt swapping goggles like my old Oakleys.

And, it would be great to have one ski that is "really good" in all conditions. Dream on!

Like you, my home mountain has trails that transition from full sun to full shade, so my preference will always use the lens with more light transmission. I'm fine in the Red Sol X in eastern sun, and, also in full sun days last year at Jackson and Targhee. I believe the Blue Sol X lets in more light, so, it may not be as suitable in full sun. Your Co spring sun is extremely bright, but, you existing goggles can fill that need.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And, it would be great to have one ski that is "really good" in all conditions. Dream on!

The thing is, my silver ambers already do this for me!

Here's the description:
Lens Tint: Silver Amber

Amber base lens with a Silver Mirror for the best all around lens from low, flat to brighter light.

35% VLT

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Old school....Anti fog on the inside surface of the lense. Can't find any, liquid soap (prefer Palmolive) just a tiny dab on your finger rub it on the lense surface, let dry, buff. No more fogging at least for the day. May cause a touch of distortion that yo quickly get used too. When you come in for lunch clean lense and reapply for the best vision.

Added: don't use soap with a lotion in it.

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
My Anons also fog up. Got a set of I/OX Turbo and no more fogging at all. I have the Red Solex/Blue Sensor combo and works great. Overcast days and night skiing with Sensor, mix and sunny with Solex. No need for anything else. Mind you, I got mine on end of season clearance for $100 :crossfingers:

Now, for something completely different: http://www.abom.com
Looks like the future to me.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My Anons also fog up. Got a set of I/OX Turbo and no more fogging at all. I have the Red Solex/Blue Sensor combo and works great. Overcast days and night skiing with Sensor, mix and sunny with Solex. No need for anything else. Mind you, I got mine on end of season clearance for $100 :crossfingers:

Thanks for the feedback. I like to read that someone took this approach, and it worked! I am definitely intrigued by the defroster-style goggles - I saw that link somewhere a few weeks ago - but I would definitely need to try it on before I bought it.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
The thing is, my silver ambers already do this for me!

Here's the description:
Lens Tint: Silver Amber

Amber base lens with a Silver Mirror for the best all around lens from low, flat to brighter light.

35% VLT
So you're going with an all around lens. Realize that an actual low light lens is letting in nearly twice the amount of light. Your eye can't see something without receiving light. Since you've had eye issues and surgery you might want to contact uilleann on epic.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I just called to inquire - Sun Logic in Breck has both the ABom and the Smith I/OX Turbo. The sales rep told me the ABom is slightly smaller, and doesn't have the bulky battery thing going. It also charges via USB. I really like the idea of (if I am understanding this correctly) essentially the same system as a car's windshield defroster. I'm going to try them tomorrow.

So you're going with an all around lens. Realize that an actual low light lens is letting in nearly twice the amount of light. Your eye can't see something without receiving light. Since you've had eye issues and surgery you might want to contact uilleann on epic.

I don't know what to say. That Silver Amber works fine for me in bright light, maybe a little squinting on the lift but then fine for the actual skiing (It just occurred to me that this would be specific to where exactly the lifts are positioned vs. the sun ...). The yellow low-light lenses that came with my Anons, on the other hand, aren't nearly as good at terrain definition. I just can't see the bumps as well, even if they're transmitting more light. I don't understand the mechanics, but that's my experience. Even yesterday when it was snowing, I liked the silver amber better. Except of course that it was coated in fog and I couldn't see anything.

James

Out There
Instructor
That's because you're in Colorado. In the East it's harder to get away with a 35% VLT lens. Especially this time of year. Not nearly as much light. I tend to ski without goggles until needed. Usually when needed it's raining, snowing, cold, behind a twin tipper, and probably cloudy or foggy or a snow gun is spraying. Not generally bright.
Now April can be different. Or not.
Fwiw, I don't like yellow lenses and prefer orange or rose for low light.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear prescription inserts in my turbo fan goggles, which makes any goggle prone to fogging.. As long as the fan works, the smith turbo fans never fog.

I too have a small face. I needed to replace them and tried the knowledge and the IOs models. They felt HUGE. So I checked and Smith still sells the Phenom turbo fan. I ordered them from Amazon Prime. Got them in 2 days. Perfect and about 100 bucks cheaper than the IOs!

They are hard to find in the shops but are the only ones Smith calls Small/medium.

Fogged goggles are a real pain. And usually happen on the best days. Go for it

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's because you're in Colorado. In the East it's harder to get away with a 35% VLT lens. Especially this time of year. Not nearly as much light. I tend to ski without goggles until needed. Usually when needed it's raining, snowing, cold, behind a twin tipper, and probably cloudy or foggy or a snow gun is spraying. Not generally bright.
Now April can be different. Or not.
Fwiw, I don't like yellow lenses and prefer orange or rose for low light.

Well, given that I do ski in Colorado and don't expect to be skiing the East anytime soon - I think that's okay :)

All my husband's skis are twin tips, so there is usually a rooster tail somewhere around. Actually, just in general, I can't deal with wind in my eyes. Huh. I do have dry eyes from the surgery - another reason to think about the Aboms instead of the fan, maybe.

Jake M

AKA Gunnerbob
Skier
If you get a chance to check out the Aboms, PLEASE report back! I'm VERY interested in how they feel, see, and work. I'd trade in multiple goggles and lenses for one solid set that has good vision and never fogs up. I'm on my third set of expensive goggles, and while I love the optics/vision of the I/OX, they aren't exactly svelte and lightweight with that battery pack.

Side note: Yes, here on the East Coast, it's usually an "all or nothing" conditions for sunlight. A 35% VLT lens isn't terribly good at low light, nor good at bright light; it ends up being good at very little actually. Better off with two separate lenses to cover the low/bright range than one that sucks overall. That said, swapping lenses on the I/OX is horrible compared to my Anon M2.