• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Opinions on FX85, Fischer Ranger 90ti, and Mindbender 90ti

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
First post here so apologies if it's not in the right place.

Trying to decide on the hard snow, hasn't snowed in a while so everything is firm and bumped out spot in my way too big as it is quiver of skis. Based on reviews and because I've skied bigger version of these skis, I'm trying to decide between the FX85 181cm (non HP), Fischer Ranger 90ti, or K2 Mindbender 90ti. Looking for something dampish that I can have fun on in firm groomers and won't work me in the bumps. I used to have a 2015 Bonafide 187cm but sold it as it was too stiff in the bumps. Tend to prefer "fun to ski" skis but definitely looking for good edge hold in firm conditions.

I'm 5'11" 210lbs and aren't super aggressive but do ski fast, mostly because of momentum... Definitely not a technical, hip dragging skier and like to vary turn shape. Current skis - BMX 105 189 (non hp) for soft conditions, Rustler 11 for powder. Love these skis as they actually are relatively easy to ski but don't necessarily punish me if I'm off my game.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you love your Rustler 11 have you considered the Rustler 9? Folks say that’s a playful ski that’s very versatile.

I’m not sure you could go wrong with either the Ranger or the Mindbender, imo.

TS
S

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
Skied the Rustler 10 and was 'meh" about it to be honest so thinking the 9 might be similar. But maybe I'm wrong and I should try the 9.

TS
S

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
One more piece of info. Skied the Ranger 98ti and actually really liked it but there would be some overlap with my BMX 105. Wondering if the 90ti is just a narrower version of the 98ti but I can expect it to ski similarly?

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One more piece of info. Skied the Ranger 98ti and actually really liked it but there would be some overlap with my BMX 105. Wondering if the 90ti is just a narrower version of the 98ti but I can expect it to ski similarly?

@Erik Timmerman is a Fischer guy. He could probably answer that question better than I.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just out of curiosity...why these three skis? The reason I ask is all are pretty darn different. Seeing what you have and where this will fit in...I woudl lean to the Mindbender jsut because the other two are a bit more soft snow bias. The Kastle has a lot of taper at the extremities and the Fischer with elongated tip again skis a bit gradual on firmer conditions, The K2 won't punish you in the bumps and still be pretty good on the firm. If you msut have a Kastle, I would wait for the upcoming FX86.

TS
S

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
Good question Phil. Mostly these three because
Fischer Ranger 90ti - skied the 98ti at Stowe and liked it alot. Was easy to ski, plenty stable, and great grip on the firm and frozen groomers.
Mindbender 90ti - Based on skiessentials review, seems perfect for what i'm looking for but havent' skied a K2 in a long time. Have you skied this? Know if it's available for demo anywhere in Tahoe?
Kastle FX85 - fantastic deal on STP and do like the way the BMX 105 skis so figuring this a narrower version with possible better edge hold on firm and smaller for easy handling in bumps

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Good question Phil. Mostly these three because
Fischer Ranger 90ti - skied the 98ti at Stowe and liked it alot. Was easy to ski, plenty stable, and great grip on the firm and frozen groomers.
Mindbender 90ti - Based on skiessentials review, seems perfect for what i'm looking for but havent' skied a K2 in a long time. Have you skied this? Know if it's available for demo anywhere in Tahoe?
Kastle FX85 - fantastic deal on STP and do like the way the BMX 105 skis so figuring this a narrower version with possible better edge hold on firm and smaller for easy handling in bumps
Cant beat that $300 deal for the Kastle new. :drool:

TS
S

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
Yep, that'a a great deal on the Kastle but found equally good deal on the Fischer and good deal on the Mindbender.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First post here so apologies if it's not in the right place.

Trying to decide on the hard snow, hasn't snowed in a while so everything is firm and bumped out spot in my way too big as it is quiver of skis. Based on reviews and because I've skied bigger version of these skis, I'm trying to decide between the FX85 181cm (non HP), Fischer Ranger 90ti, or K2 Mindbender 90ti. Looking for something dampish that I can have fun on in firm groomers and won't work me in the bumps. I used to have a 2015 Bonafide 187cm but sold it as it was too stiff in the bumps. Tend to prefer "fun to ski" skis but definitely looking for good edge hold in firm conditions.

I'm 5'11" 210lbs and aren't super aggressive but do ski fast, mostly because of momentum... Definitely not a technical, hip dragging skier and like to vary turn shape. Current skis - BMX 105 189 (non hp) for soft conditions, Rustler 11 for powder. Love these skis as they actually are relatively easy to ski but don't necessarily punish me if I'm off my game.

Where are you skiing?
Answer this first.

So happens I own the fx 85, and have briefly skied the Fischer 90ti, the Rustler 9, and the 88mm sister to the Mindbender 90.

The Fischer is not damp. If that's really a priority for you I'd skip it. Personally I liked it on hard snow but found it too stiff, edgy, and pre-shaped in bumps. However, since you have seventy pounds on me your experience might differ. It's worth trying, for sure.

The Rustler 9 hooks up surprisingly well on groomers if you do. I have not skied the R 10, but the 10 looks to have a lot more rocker. You might like the 9 even if you disliked the 10. I thought it was super fun. It's a good mogul ski, but it won't fix stupid.

The Kästle FX 85 is wonderful but polarizing. Most of the folks who like it are on the slight side for their height. It's definitely not a hard snow ski, especially without an ace tune, but it is totally fabulous in bumps.

Don't know how the Mindbender 90 differs from the women's 88, but the 88 is another great bump ski. It's very quiet and reassuring. If you're really into damp this might be the pick of the four.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
For those looking for deals on the Mindbenders, the Canadian retail price is the same as the US so you instantly get a 30% off discount buying in Canada. Since they are 2019/20 skis they won’t be discounted much off retail like the 2018/19 skis which will be discounted 40% off Canadian retail starting soon with Spring Sales.

The Rustler 9 is stiffer, heavier and has less rocker than the Rustler 10 so I would agree with others that you may like it if you like your Rustler 11. The 9 doesn’t ski as short as the 10 or 11 either so you could try a 180cm vs the 188cm min for your size on the wider Rustlers. I like my Rustler 9s on groomers and in bumps but you have more weight on me, so I’d maybe try the Brahma 88 as well.

The Brahma 88 is another ski in the 180cm that would have that Blizzard feel that you like but with less rocker and a bit stiffer and damper then the Rustler 9. With your size it would be a fun ski for you.

Mindbender 90Ti in the 184cm is a fun, playful that’s nice and damp. Weight is a touch more than the Brahma 88 and Rustler 9 which helps in afternoon crud but it’s still not close to being a heavy ski.
The Mindbender 90Ti is indeed heavier and beefier than the 88 like all the Men’s vs Women’s Mindbenders. The women’s models have different metal layouts and construction diiferences to compensate for their different needs.

If I had to pick two to demo, it would be the Brahma 88 180cm and Mindbender 90Ti 184cm. Both great skis for your needs.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Fischer is not damp. If that's really a priority for you I'd skip it. Personally I liked it on hard snow but found it too stiff, edgy, and pre-shaped in bumps. However, since you have seventy pounds on me your experience might differ. It's worth trying, for sure.

^^^ This. This season is my first on the Ranger 98Ti. Sooooo not damp. It is quite lively and energetic. I like it a lot on the groomers and it is truly a dream of a ski in powder, especially being "only" 98mm. I actually dislike this ski in bumps. Even soft, smallish bumps (all my local hill really ever gets). Too stiff and active. Get behind the power curve and they'll let you know.

Have you considered going even a little narrower than the skis you ae thinking about? Seems then you would have a fantastic quiver that would cover just about anything the mountain could throw at you. Just a thought. Good luck in your search!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I had to pick THREE to demo, it would be the Brahma 88 180cm and Mindbender 90Ti 184cm AND THE ENFORCER 88 IN 186. ALL THREE ARE great skis for your needs.

Fixed that for you, all at no charge.

Although it may be tough to find any price love on the Enforcers, since Nordica controls their pricing pretty firmly.

Pro Tip: Shop ski and binding combos. That sometimes allows shops get around those restrictions.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Fixed that for you, all at no charge.

Although it may be tough to find any price love on the Enforcers, since Nordica controls their pricing pretty firmly.

Pro Tip: Shop ski and binding combos. That sometimes allows shops get around those restrictions.

Also thought about the Enforcers in there. I didn’t get to demo the 88 yet but a skier on the chairlift who owns 93s was demoing them for the day. Didn’t seem to love them as much as his 93s. Found them too damp and not as playful I think. Wasn’t super firm that day so his 93s would have been a better choice for the afternoon crud maybe. I love the 93s and the 88s look fun.

2018/19 Enforcers like the 93,100 etc are going to be 40% soon off but the 2019/2020 E88 and E104 will not be discounted much. So just 30% off on those compared to the States right now. Lol

TS
S

sfmtber

Booting up
Skier
Thanks all for the info! Weight (and skill) definitiely plays into how a ski feels. I skied the Fischer 98ti on a hard snow day at Stowe and found them to be very smooth and easy going but with great edge grip. Didn't take them into bumps though so not sure how the long tip splay would affect their performance there. But I suck at bumps anyway so it always boils down to user error. Sounding though, like the Mindbender is the way to go as it seems to be all the things I'm looking for.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Following this thread b/c of great deals available on Kastle FX85's lately. Any more comments on them? I've read the 2016 review thread, but still unsure. I'm looking for an eastern crud/bumps/tree ski that is easier than my Motive 95's. 5'6", 170lbs, level 7+/8. I'm thinking non-HP in 181.
Comments?

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Following this thread b/c of great deals available on Kastle FX85's lately. Any more comments on them? I've read the 2016 review thread, but still unsure. I'm looking for an eastern crud/bumps/tree ski that is easier than my Motive 95's. 5'6", 170lbs, level 7+/8. I'm thinking non-HP in 181.
Comments?
What @Tony S said about them is accurate. On groomers they're nothing to get excited about, and on icy days you want something without all that rocker. But that rocker is what makes it fabulous in bumps and trees. Crud isn't as great. They don't float or absorb very well. The perfect conditions for the FX85 is from a couple days after a storm when everything is packed powder, until the next thaw/freeze cycle.

Don't know much about the FX86. If they could keep them as easy to turn but give it a bit more crud busting ability, I would SO be into that.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Comments?

I would put you on the 173 over the 181, for that use case.

Sponsor