• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Opinions on 686 gear

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been looking online for a new pair of ski pants and I see a lot of 686 stuff available at pretty reasonable prices. The 3 in 1 gore tex smarty pants particularly caught my eye. Does anyone have any experience (or inside info) with their gear?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Herself has had at least one pair of Smarty Pants in the rotation since about 2011. For her they're warm, comfortable and windproof down to 5F. The fleece tights tend to pill, and she hates that. She has other, much more waterproof, pants for wet weather.

Reactions: Ogg

kingsalami

Booting up
Skier
Both my wife & kids have had used 686 jackets & pants with great results. Fairly basic designs that fit really well, burly fabric, and pretty good waterproofing. Their upper-tier stuff (Gore-tex) seems to deliver excellent bang-for-the-buck since you can often find it @ 30% off. My wife - who's pretty picky when it comes to fashion/clothing - really loved her insulated 686 jacket and used it for 3 seasons before replacing it with a "more fashionable" Burton jacket. Happy hunting!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My 686 jacket is excellent. It's my heavy hitter it's mother freakin cold out jacket. Comes with a removable fleece liner and an insane amount of pockets. Great jacket.