• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Opinion: Why 100-108mm waist skis?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Because of the vast size of the resorts, and altitude, fresh snow can be found long after the last snowfall with hiking and traversing and (if you’re sensible) a guide.

Hiking? As in...ski touring? In those funny Scarpa boots with loose heels? Nah...I am not good enough for this yet. This is entirely different universe. Looks terribly physically demanding. These guys look like superhuman athletes to me and I am nothing like that.

If there is fresh snow around the pistes-good. If not-edge riding on groomers all day long chasing personal Strava records and that's that :):)

Reactions: BMC

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hiking? As in...ski touring? In those funny Scarpa boots with loose heels? Nah...I am not good enough for this yet. This is entirely different universe. Looks terribly physically demanding. These guys look like superhuman athletes to me and I am nothing like that.

If there is fresh snow around the pistes-good. If not-edge riding on groomers all day long chasing personal Strava records and that's that :):)
Ha :)

There’s that. With a guide though you can also cover vast distances in downhill gear with loooooootttttttts of traversing and not much hiking.

Thos one day in band camp I skied off piste in Alpine gear (with a guide) from Val D’Isere via Tignes to Les Arcs and La Plagne (maybe another resort or two) and ended the day in Village Roger, behind Les Arcs. I gather it’s a well plotted path.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thos one day in band camp I skied off piste in Alpine gear (with a guide) from Val D’Isere via Tignes to Les Arcs and La Plagne (maybe another resort or two) and ended the day in Village Roger, behind Les Arcs. I gather it’s a well plotted path.

Well noted. Will try it next season if the boss at home does not have something else on her mind :)

Reactions: BMC

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Wait...is it Kumbaya time already?

Yes. We are adults that share a common passion, and should play nicely.

Along those lines, I'll note that @Atomicman and I live in the PNW. I doubt that our "hardpack" is quite the same as what is experienced by @ARL67 in Ontario!

And though I love my Enforcer 100s, the 88s are certainly more engaging and joy-inducing on hardpack and bumps. But those 100s just flat out SLAY the crud!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Yes. We are adults that share a common passion, and should play nicely.

Along those lines, I'll note that @Atomicman and I live in the PNW. I doubt that our "hardpack" is quite the same as what is experienced by @ARL67 in Ontario!

And though I love my Enforcer 100s, the 88s are certainly more engaging and joy-inducing on hardpack and bumps. But those 100s just flat out SLAY the crud!
True, if my hard snow and groomers were what I find on the groomed runs when I go to Mt. Washington on Vancouver Island instead of what I find in Ontario and Quebec, I probably would have a totally different opinion.

I love One-o-something skis in deep snow, and as long as the groomed run lets the ski sink in an inch (or more), they aren't bad on the groomed. They still don't bring out the joy of quick, precise direction change at speed (love of power and control is a human survival characteristic and cannot be denied), so they would not be an only ski for me, but I sure would own a pair. With 90% of my ski days not being ice, but not allowing an inch of penetration (typically cannot stick my ski pole into the slope at the bump I patrol lol), not so much.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
our hills have groomers, the first 30-60 minutes at best. since lots of hills are steep & narrow all the sections before rollers turn ice, the steep part of the rollers turn into piles of snow, and depending on temp will freeze at night. they open at 07 or 09, and close 22:00, so conditions will be variable through the day.

The most fun ski at 07:00 is not the most fun at 22:00 with refrozen piles.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
True, if my hard snow and groomers were what I find on the groomed runs when I go to Mt. Washington on Vancouver Island instead of what I find in Ontario and Quebec, I probably would have a totally different opinion.

I love One-o-something skis in deep snow, and as long as the groomed run lets the ski sink in an inch (or more), they aren't bad on the groomed. They still don't bring out the joy of quick, precise direction change at speed (love of power and control is a human survival characteristic and cannot be denied), so they would not be an only ski for me, but I sure would own a pair. With 90% of my ski days not being ice, but not allowing an inch of penetration (typically cannot stick my ski pole into the slope at the bump I patrol lol), not so much.

It's really funny how different conditions are even within seemingly similar areas - I've had about as many "can't get my pole through the surface" days as powder days the last 2 years (I will go burn a ski in sacrifice to Ullr now). Most are somewhere in the middle but more towards the moveable snow end and for that I really do think a Mantra 102 or Mindbender 99 Ti or Kastle MX90/99 are fun if you don't want to make very tight turns.

Just in the interests of clarity: I've gotten lucky during my annual trips out west, so I'm not saying if you only ski the east that would be the typical. On the other hand, if you can pick your ski days you could probably do better than I out east.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So I was snooping g around checking out reviews of 20/21 Enforcer 100. Powder 7 recently named the Enforcer 100 "Ski of the Decade" and Blistergear 5 straight years at #1.

So this is the mediocre do nothing well ski? Nothing but raving reviews of the current model.

As I said earlier about the comments in this thread.....2+2=5. I submit the variable is technique/ability and/or tune. too much base bevel, not enough side edge!

So if anyone has a different ski preference, they're not very good skiers.... ok. FWIW, while the Enforcer series skis are great for many, I will say straight away that I personally prefer the 20-21 Bonafide by an order of magnitude, but whatever, I only drive an Alltrack wagon, so there you go. :)

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
So if anyone has a different ski preference, they're not very good skiers.... ok. FWIW, while the Enforcer series skis are great for many, I will say straight away that I personally prefer the 20-21 Bonafide by an order of magnitude, but whatever, I only drive an Alltrack wagon, so there you go. :)
"So if anyone has a different ski preference, they're not very good skiers.... ok"

1st, I take issue with the gross generalization of all skis of a particular range of waist sizes (100-108). So that lost me right there!

That is not what I said, nice mis-paraphrase. What I said was the OP calling a ski that was deemed the ski of the decade by and ranked the #1 ski for 5 years over many review platforms
mediocre, causes me to be suspect of the commenter. Additionally, when pointing out the skis is slow edge to edge, has no float and gets deflected in 3D snow is grossly inaccurate. Everyone knows this ski excels at chop. Since I ski this ski, I can tell you 1st hand that these descriptions are highly inaccurate. But of course, the OP is entitled to his opinion regardless of how far off base it is. B

But what other then technique or ability or tune, would cause such a disparity in the opinion of a ski? It is a serious question!

I have not skied the new Bonafide so I will reserve comment , but the original, which I did ski was garbage and people loved it! It folded up like a cheap tent!

Last edited:
TS
C

Coolhand

Getting off the lift
Skier
Atomicman... Ok you win... The ENFORCER RULZ!!!

The Enforcer is the only ski you need for every condition! If you don't like it, you suck, and you should quit skiing, especially at any resort where Atomicman skis. If you don't ski Enforcers you suck! All the other ski companies need to go back to Europe (or China for some) and quit trying to sell skis in North America. Note to other Pugski folks, take your Stockli's, Renown's, and Augment's to the ski swap and get a pair of Enforcers now!

Dude... You have no idea how I ski or what I do... I have skied your Enforcer, it just doesn't speak to me, it is just a meh..., I have sent the Enforcer out on demos with prospective buyers, the conversion rate to sales after demo for the Enforcer is less than 50%. In my shop, that ain't stellar for us. By, the way, they were tuned very well (if you want to argue about my tuning ability, then you better pack your lunch). That is my experience. If it doesn't jive with your experience, so be it. But you have absolutely lost your mind about this and called me everything but human about it. I don't know if you are a Nordica rep or are getting paid by Zanatta to be an influencer or what. Why you have taken my characterization of the one-oh-something category and the Enforcer so personally? I certainly didn't call you an idiot for liking the ski. I'll agree to disagree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lol, when it comes to these there's always some puff an ruffle you suck and your ski choice proves it euphemisms from some who laughably think they are being genuinely helpful.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven’t tried the Enforcer for a few years, it wasn’t for me. Then again, neither was the Bonafide, and admittedly I haven’t been on it since it was first introduced.

Forgetting the specific brand and models for now, the OP was inquiring what others here on this forum think about why there seem to be so many skis in the 100-108 range being sold. There have been a number of opinions expressed. Now, has this become a debate about who’s right, or about how one’s individual preferences should be everybody’s preferences? Because I really don’t give a f#%& about what anyone else is skiing. And I don’t think many minds have been changed.

FWIW, I’m in the PNW, where groomers become off-piste in a matter of a few runs. I mostly ski with a Renoun Z90 (please note the correct spelling) and bring out my BillyGoat (116 wide) when I feel it’s appropriate, or just more fun. I’m looking for a mid-90’s to low 100-something, maybe I won’t even get one of those. I might get a narrower front side ski and sell the Z90. Who cares?

Kumbaya, y’all.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
"So if anyone has a different ski preference, they're not very good skiers.... ok"

1st, I take issue with the gross generalization of all skis of a particular range of waist sizes (100-108). So that lost me right there!

That is not what I said, nice mis-paraphrase. What I said was the OP calling a ski that was deemed the ski of the decade by and ranked the #1 ski for 5 years over many review platforms
mediocre, causes me to be suspect of the commenter. Additionally, when pointing out the skis is slow edge to edge, has no float and gets deflected in 3D snow is grossly inaccurate. Everyone knows this ski excels at chop. Since I ski this ski, I can tell you 1st hand that these descriptions are highly inaccurate. But of course, the OP is entitled to his opinion regardless of how far off base it is. B

But what other then technique or ability or tune, would cause such a disparity in the opinion of a ski? It is a serious question!

I have not skied the new Bonafide so I will reserve comment , but the original, which I did ski was garbage and people loved it! It folded up like a cheap tent!

FWIW, I had a 185 enforcer briefly the first season. Fine on groomed, but couldn't ski it as fast as I wanted off piste, so I went back to the car and grabbed a Monster 98. Problem solved. :) That said, I completely understand why the Enforcer 100 works for so many people, and even in different ability bands. I also agree wholeheartedly that a properly prepped ski almost always skis better than out of the wrapper. :)

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
FWIW, I had a 185 enforcer briefly the first season. Fine on groomed, but couldn't ski it as fast as I wanted off piste, so I went back to the car and grabbed a Monster 98. Problem solved. :) That said, I completely understand why the Enforcer 100 works for so many people, and even in different ability bands. I also agree wholeheartedly that a properly prepped ski almost always skis better than out of the wrapper. :)
You must be hauling ass off piste!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
... traded them in for a 189 Kore 99. Also rock solid but not quite the killer hard snow edge grip of the Monster, but hard snow is for narrow skis anyway.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well to answer the original question. Why other people buy them, could be all kinds of reasons, good ones and bad.

I can only speak for myself.
I bought a K2 Marksman a few years ago. It was my only ski. It is 105 underfoot.
I bought it because Blister specifically called it out as the most pivoty, slarvy ski out there. I also wanted something wide enough, to make skiing soft snow fun and easy, even with my mediocre technique.
It fits all those criteria. It is also fun to carve on hardpack, although it doesn’t have much bite on ice. Luckily I almost never ski that.
I would have considered a narrower ski, but I never heard of a narrower ski that had those same attributes.

Similar story again with the touring skis I just bought:
I bought Wayback 106.
I wanted >185cm (I am 6’5”)
I wanted a rockered tail.
I looked, and could not find a narrower touring ski with those specs, let alone one that had a solid number of real reviews to check out.
Finally, although a wider ski will suck when skiing steep, hard pitches, with a little luck you can wist for them to soften.
At the same time, I don’t always have good technique, so trying to ski a, let’s say, 90mm ski in waist deep powder or breakable crust, might not go so well for me.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am sitting at the Denver Airport coming back from 4 days at Vail. Unfortunately no substantial snow and my Mindbender 99Tis were great for what I skied. They held fine on what was firm for Vail. That said the older Rossi E88s I have would have been just as good If not better. If we had gotten 6-8 inches of snow the E88s would have worked but the MBs would have been better.

If I skied Colorado the MB 99Tis would be my daily driver and I could certainly live with them as a one ski quiver out there. I live in New England and most days I ski on my Salomon SForce Blasts. The Blasts and MB 99s are all I need for New England. I have skied the MBs on firm snow in NE and they will hold but aren’t nearly as much fun as the Blasts. If I could only have one pair of skis I might go a little wider than the Blasts but not 90+. Likely not wider than 85.

Sponsor