• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Opinion: Why 100-108mm waist skis?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I took out my Blaze 106 skis the other day cause it was slushy and why not. Definitely fun and they'll be my spring/powder/slush ski at Bromley. Super easy to ski and seemed pretty light. They blasted over the slush and were even good in the crusty parts in the shade around 3pm. I don't think I'll ski them a lot but I got them for a good price and I now know they'll be a good time whenever I take them out.

Reactions: BMC

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also like the way that a deep rocker line and tapered tip makes skiing 'variable' conditions so much easier. The M free is a fantastic bump ski and does great on the steeps even when its pretty firm. I feel like there is the goldilocks everyday ski out there that I can do all the above PLUS carve instinctually on firmer trails. Maybe I need to demo the new Mantra and start from there? Maybe the Sender Free 110 would be the end of sequence for that experiment.
I think you’re asking for a unicorn here. I agree with you about the things the 192 M-Free 108 does well. I think getting it to be a more exciting carver would require very different design attributes, like those in the Mantra 102.

I could believe the Sender 110 Free might be somewhere between the Mantra 102 and the M-Free 108 in terms of how it balances off piste maneuverability with on piste carving, but I doubt it would be a better carver than the Mantra 102 or an easier tight terrain ski than the M-Free. Another option could be the QST 106, but I’m not sure whether it’s stronger on firm snow than the M-Free 108.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Because most skiers only want to own one set of skis. And because most skiers are willing to trade off some hardpack performance for soft snow/3D performance. Even if that doesn't match the majority of conditions people ski (i.e. non-3d snow) -- it's a preference for being better on the good days than better on the bad days.

There's nothing particularly logical about skiing -- spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, hours of drive time, to throw yourself down a cold wet hill at high speeds with minimal safety equipment. I don't see why anyone would expect ski selection to be particularly logical.
In my experience, skiing my 109mm wide ski on groomers doesn’t make a bad day. It’s fun. Optimal? No, but still fun.

But I have had bad days skiing a 70-something mm ski in heavy cruddy snow. Not fun.