• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Wouldn't have thought so but might guarantee the retirement that always seemed on the cards after the next World Champs

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Bode and Lance were talking about that on a podcast they did together. They both stated in both skiing and cycling the answer is yes. Bode even stated some statistic about how many tenths slower you were for each kid you had.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Marcel has consistently, for at least four years, said he will NOT be skiing past 2019. Plans to retire at 30, and feels he will have nothing “to accomplish.”

Many of us have posted the same here. Virtual certainty that this will be his last season.
And yes, having a child can change things. I have never heard anyone express a lack of willingness to risk it....but a lot of discussion of missing family and wanting more family time.

Keep in mind, he’s a tech skier. Or 99% so. So not so much risk.

I have suggested enjoying every single MH run while we can. There was talk that he would hang it at this time, but he’s said he’s had too much fun.

I would be the farm that it’s over at the WCF, spring 2019.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does having a child impact one to subconciously take less risk?
For sure, and they actually proved this with exact times for F1 drivers. And also for skiing it works similar way, but it's way more obvious on speed side. On tech side, it's not so much, if any at all. You are afraid to risk your life, not your knees, and on tech events it's more about your knees then your life, so I don't think there will be much difference because of this. Only downside might be, he would want to be more home, but Hirscher wasn't going so much around until now either. I don't remember when he was training in South America/New Zealand for last time. But then again, it also helps if you are living some 50km away from pretty good glacier and you get heli ride up there straight from your front door whenever you wish for. So kid or no kid, I don't think it matters :)

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Bode and Lance were talking about that on a podcast they did together. They both stated in both skiing and cycling the answer is yes. Bode even stated some statistic about how many tenths slower you were for each kid you had.

Didn't Bode have to apologize for making a comment like that this past season? Can't remember if it was Olympics or somewhere else but I think that ruffled some feathers on the womens side.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Going to be interesting to see if there will be any changes to HK:s program. He talked about the need for some change at the end of the season — more resources in between the lines — to have a fair fight compared to MH. I think that HK is one of few athletes that could benefit from a more individual layout. It’s not for everyone.

James

Out There
Instructor
Didn't Bode have to apologize for making a comment like that this past season? Can't remember if it was Olympics or somewhere else but I think that ruffled some feathers on the womens side.
Yeah he joked that blame it on Anna Veith's spouse that she's slower. Itwas actually stated more as a matter of fact. Of course people got all upset about it. He and Lance talked about this on Lance's podcast. Both said they took less risk after marriage and kids.

Muleski

Inactive
It’s also A LOT easier to see your family and kid{s} if you are based in Europe and living in Europe, than it is for the North Americans who have almost no events at home.
It has never been a risk factor to those who I’ve known. It’s a “I miss my family”. When the child is a baby, some chose to have them travel on tour. Gets harder as the get older and as a family grows.
Just my observations.....

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yeah he joked that blame it on Anna Veith's spouse that she's slower. Itwas actually stated more as a matter of fact. Of course people got all upset about it. He and Lance talked about this on Lance's podcast. Both said they took less risk after marriage and kids.

But not to the extent of avoiding leading the biggest systematic cheating and bullying programme in sports... I guess Lance measures risk somewhat differently...

James

Out There
Instructor
But not to the extent of avoiding leading the biggest systematic cheating and bullying programme in sports... I guess Lance measures risk somewhat differently...
Well that's not physical risk while racing, which was the subject. Clearly Sheryl Crow didn't make the difference to him being a sleazebag.

Lance Armstrong sat down with American World Cup ski racer and six-time Olympic medallist Bode Miller in Aspen to talk about Miller's decorated alpine skiing career and more. Their candid conversation touched on everything from Miller’s unconventional upbringing, to what it feels like to fly down a mountain at 100 miles per hour, to the mental game of higher-risk sports like skiing and cycling. Miller, now a father of four, also talks about his passion for horse racing, and shares what’s next, following his formal retirement from ski racing.

https://soundcloud.com/user-4118672...ller-the-forward-podcast-with-lance-armstrong
Or
Not sure where the part on risk is. Prob after 36min.

Muleski

Inactive
I find it interesting that Lance "won" his seven consecutive TDF's form 1999-2005. He married his first wife in 1998. Their son was born in 2000. Twin daughters in 2002. Divorced in 2003. His two youngest are now 8 and 7.

Bode had a pretty unusual experience with fatherhood before marrying Morgan Beck. Now he's got four, with number five on the way.

Lance has been working, hard, to rebuild his image, etc. I actually think he's doing a good job of it. Trying to take the very hard edge off, and appeal to a much wider audience. Bode has been doing a lot of the same. Trying to broaden that appeal, demonstrate his smarts, and showing how much his family means to him. They both are.

I would absolutely call "BS" as loudly as possible on any relationship, or on fatherhood having a single thing to do with either of them slowing down, or retiring. Other circumstances, for sure. In Bode's case, Father Time and injuries. Lance......his aging and "other factors" so to speak.......

Andrew Weidrecht just retired. He has made it clear that he wants to be back in Lake Placid with his wife, and child, and friends say more to come. Wants to begin to take over the family business. Hated travel. Now in HIS case, he was slowing down. He had really only been fast and competitive when skiing with real abandon. So I get it. I hear that David Poisson's death may have slowed him down another gear, and changed his thinking. I'll be interested to see just how much we'll see Steven Nyman race in the future. I bet being a dad is factoring into it.

But Bode and Lance. I can't believe it. Maybe other guys slowed down around them.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Lance claimed he was less agressive going into a corner with a pile of people. So, maybe it's by degree compared to the previous Lance or maybe it's true and he made up time in other areas.
Don't know what to say about Bode. He was as matter of fact about it slowing you as he was about Lindsey ending up in the nets or under a helicopter if she skied a men's downhill course in Bormio, Wengen, or Kitzbuhel. Seems like if he had backed off and applied some "common sense" he might have podiumed more.

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
That was about Anna Veith's husband being responsible for her decrease in performance.

Sponsor

Staff online