• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Open Parallel/ Dynamic Parallel

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Can you tell us how you draw that line? Or is it just "I know it when I see it"?

See post #51

Exam candidates receive multiple opportunities to demonstrate their skiing skills throughout the exam process. If I observed a candidate performing a parallel turn demo which I felt was too borderline or too biased toward a particular skill, I would ask them to demonstrate showing more of the bias I want to see. If they could do it great, if not, I would take note and observe if these same issues showed up in other tasks, demos, or free skiing and make my pass/fail decision based on what I found. It is not necessarily a black or white demo for me, I am simply looking for a parallel edge change and skis guided around a skidded arc. The width of the skis' track to differentiate "basic" from "dynamic" is open for interpretation but the ability to demonstrate contrasting skill blends is not.

Note: Are the ski edges "released" and "changed" very close in succession as with a rail road track turn, or is the timing of these two actions farther apart as in a pivot slip? Where along this spectrum does a parallel turn, in your mind, change from a dynamic turn to a basic or open parallel turn? How do you believe it should be differentiated? I am always open to epiphanies.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Does your division let you just pass/fail the candidate as a whole? Here in Eastern, each individual task is scored and the candidate has to pass all of them. It sort of takes away a bit of that wiggle room though there still is some.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this part of Level II or just Level III?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It could be either. We used them for Dev Team and Tech Team Tryouts last year.

bud heishman

Instructor
Sky Tavern
In the Western Division, candidates could fail a particular demo or task and still pass the exam.

bud heishman

Instructor
Sky Tavern
If we are balanced on our outside ski would it not be as soon as the COM is fully inside the balance point?

Wouldn't we be out of balance if the CoM was inside the balance point?

How about it becomes dynamic when the turn forces become greater than gravity.

uke

OK, how do we quanitfy that approach?

because if people are going to an Exam they should know what pass at what fails.

If an examiner knows it when they see it, and can not define a clear point when open becomes dynamic maybe it time to scrap the terms entirely.

OK, let's say we scrap the terms "open" parallel, "basic" parallel, and "dynamic" parallel. Now what?......

I want to see a more skidded parallel turn and I want to see a more carved parallel turn? Damn, that was easy.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
bud why wouldnt the force of the turn hold you up?

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yes, but that could be inside your BOS since your balance axis in a dynamic turn will pointed outwards towards your COM aka centripetal force.

James

Out There
Instructor
What's wrong with the simple it's Dynamic because if suddenly stopped, freezed framed, you would fall over? This eliminates those leaning on the inside ski.

bud heishman

Instructor
Sky Tavern
What's wrong with the simple it's Dynamic because if suddenly stopped, freezed framed, you would fall over? This eliminates those leaning on the inside ski.

I think a basic or open parallel skier would fall over too if stopped too? I don't think we are going to find a black and white on the difference in demos. Even looking at just ski performance on the snow there is a gray area. The best we can do is clearly demo on either side of this gray area to show the appropriate skill blend to appease the on looker.

bud heishman

Instructor
Sky Tavern
yes, but that could be inside your BOS since your balance axis in a dynamic turn will pointed outwards towards your COM aka centripetal force.

I think I know what you meant to say but the verbage was a bit confusing. I would think if the CoM was inside the balance axis we would be out of balance. Inside the base of support, OK.

JSDOS

Booting up
Skier
... and I wonder if the specifics of position and description derail the motion and movement of skiing and the learning experience. Sincerely.

I get that we can infinitely slice movements into precise instants of motion, frozen... of exact and perfect positions.
But I wonder if that is truly the way humans interact with the physical world.
It may be the best way to certify.
Is it the best way to teach?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January