• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Open Letter on Diversity in Our Sport

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Phil and I had a lengthy video meeting with Shone Mallet a few weeks ago, hoping to work with him to see how we can make a difference.
You and Phil are the standing definition of those trying to make a difference. Your efforts are greatly appreciated and this website is a forum for ALL things ski related, including tackling "Diversity" on a level that is bar none of the highest caliber! Thank you!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You and Phil are the standing definition of those trying to make a difference. Your efforts are greatly appreciated and this website is a forum for ALL things ski related, including tackling "Diversity" on a level that is bar none of the highest caliber! Thank you!
[Humbled]

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In case you missed it, Shone Malliet is featured in this US Ski and Snowboard Eastern Region article.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I deleted a few posts about the recent walk outs. We went down the national team sports path a while back and had to steer it back on track. Please keep this about diversity in skiing.

Thank you.

Last edited:

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I deleted a few posts about the recent walk outs. We went down the nationa team sports a while back and had to steer it back on track. Please keep this about diversity in skiing.

Thank you.
Has any ski organization made any public statements about recent events?

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Has any ski organization made any public statements about recent events?
Yes. Links have been posted throughout this thread about statements from SIA, USSA and several resorts.
This was a good start.
The US Ski Team Discussion on Diversity is up and has been added to post #3 in this thread for easy viewing as this thread keeps moving.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A few links to check out. If you Register and provide an email you should be able to access the video.

A powerful statement from Burton:

This Burton quote in their 1st paragraph, is ... nuff said;

"We’ve taken our time processing, listening, learning, and haven’t always known how or when to speak up. The fact is: It’s time for Burton to take ownership of our part in this. It’s time for change on a national and global scale. And it’s time for Burton and snowboarding to grow the fuck up. "

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few links to check out. If you Register and provide an email you should be able to access the video.

A powerful statement from Burton:

This Burton quote in their 1st paragraph, is ... nuff said;

"We’ve taken our time processing, listening, learning, and haven’t always known how or when to speak up. The fact is: It’s time for Burton to take ownership of our part in this. It’s time for change on a national and global scale. And it’s time for Burton and snowboarding to grow the fuck up. "
The video from the USSA webinar video has been added to post #3 in this thread for easy access.
Thank you for continuing to create a helthy atmosphere while making a difference.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Legends Lounge featured Ben and Clay a couple nights ago.
After fixing a glitch on the first run, the new one is pretty interesting.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
An interesting article about Diversity in the SLC Tribune;

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The paintings by this guy are great.
128263515_135398818339959_1574778832235170814_n.jpg
Image may contain: 1 person
skiingincolor-tpr-112820-2-768x1024.jpg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
An interesting article about Diversity in the SLC Tribune;

It's interesting to read about the Native American population feeling they are being viewed by their community as almost selling out and being "better" than those around them. That's a high bar to hurdle.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good reading.
I recall talking to Trayc when she moved from Brooklyn to SLC. She said it took her a really long time to find someone who knew how to do black women's hair.
As for the clothing fit issue, whew! That's a big one in a lot of ways.
Dare I say it? There are bigger issues with fitting ski pants than there are with ski boots.

When I have curvy customers who are nearly in tears because they can't find skis pants that fit.... ugh!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's interesting to read about the Native American population feeling they are being viewed by their community as almost selling out and being "better" than those around them. That's a high bar to hurdle.

I lived "On Rez" for several years near a ski area in the San Juan Mtns of CO. This is sadly a truth that has just started being addressed. When I returned recently there were many more Indians working at the mtn. When I was there in the early 2000's, you saw very few Indians. I called them Native Americans when I arrived on Rez, thinking I was showing respect. They promptly corrected me on several occasions and told me, "We are Indians. Native American? That's what they... the Mangani (spelling?), call us. " By the third correction I got it! Funny but I was affectionately called Dr zin'eh (spelling?... Dr. Black Guy... but generally that term is a bit... okay ALOT :duck:... more derogatory... I just took it in stride as their sense of humor around race, is VERY diff than ours.)

Indian it was from then on and I never got corrected on that nomenclature again. To my surprise I was actually thanked and praised for listening. Lots of unexpected cultural stories like that after witnessing life On Rez. I had to adapt my personality to fit into their culture in order to accomplish the tasks required. That was not easy but it ended up being rewarding beyond my wildest dreams as it taught me volumes about my own limitations and prejudices. By adapting to their culture I was able to maneuver to the point of becoming one of the primary cultural liaisons between DHHS/IHS and the tribes of the region. Adaptation was pretty intense and even scary at times...

.... Okay a Black guy walks into a bar... in a tiny western town... finish the sentence!! It sounds like the start to a bad joke. Just kidding around but it actually happened many times w/ various outcomes...

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I lived "On Rez" for several years near a ski area in the San Juan Mtns of CO. This is sadly a truth that has just started being addressed. When I returned recently there were many more Indians working at the mtn. When I was there in the early 2000's, you saw very few Indians. I called them Native Americans when I arrived on Rez, thinking I was showing respect. They promptly corrected me on several occasions and told me, "We are Indians, Native American? That's what they... the Mangani, call us. " By the third correction I got it!

Indian it was from then on and I never got corrected on that nomenclature again. To my surprise I was actually thanked and praised for listening. Lots of unexpected cultural stories like that after witnessing life On Rez. I had to adapt my personality to fit into their culture in order to accomplish the tasks required. That was not an easy task but it ended up being rewarding beyond my wildest dreams as it taught me volumes about my own limitations and prejudices.
My Grandmother had two Indian/Native Americans working for her for years. They lived on the reservation in Reno. I finally asked which is it? Indian or Native American? She said, "The sign says Indian Reservation. That's good enough for me!" Some people are very particular, some aren't. It can be an awkward situation if you don't know who's who!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My Grandmother had two Indian/Native Americans working for her for years. They lived on the reservation in Reno. I finally asked which is it? Indian or Native American? She said, "The sign says Indian Reservation. That's good enough for me!" Some people are very particular, some aren't. It can be an awkward situation if you don't know who's who!
I think it changes by the minute! LOL

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When I was working as an ICW (Indian Child Welfare) social worker for CPS (WA state), and in a methadone clinic run by a tribe, individuals seemed to prefer to be referred to as a member of their tribe (Swinomish, Stillaguamish, Tulalip, Upper Skagit, etc). The general term is often First Nations.

Sponsor

Staff online