• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Open Letter on Diversity in Our Sport

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That was quite a while ago. Maybe it has changed by now and I accept that possibly my current fears may be simply based on that one bad experience??? :huh: Check it out and hang out there for a bit. You'll get the feel of the place pretty quickly.
ehh there are better towns in the NEK even discarding the racism factor. Would have liked to have gotten into a place on Memphremagog but not sure that it’s within reach anymore.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are. Just some are "better" than others. ;)

Let's face it, the "locals" just want everyone else gone, whatever their race.

It's a classic status quote thing. But if you're from the group of historically "have not", yeah, you feel the stink more.

I see it here with long time locals getting antsy about people moving in from California.
I've only lived here 13 years so don't feel like I can cry out to shut the gates. They let me in. :D

Also, I don't see people of different races, color or creed as have or have not. I think that is part of the problem in society.
Just because you're black or hispanic or...doesn't mean you're a "have not".
Just because you're caucasian doesn't mean you're a "have"

I'm not saying that you're making this assumption, but just wanted to make that point.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see it here with long time locals getting antsy about people moving in from California.
I've only lived here 13 years so don't feel like I can cry out to shut the gates. They let me in. :D

Also, I don't see people of different races, color or creed as have or have not. I think that is part of the problem in society.
Just because you're black or hispanic or...doesn't mean you're a "have not".
Just because you're caucasian doesn't mean you're a "have"

I'm not saying that you're making this assumption, but just wanted to make that point.

Trying to say this in a kind way… this comment seems a bit tone deaf in the context of the discussion about historically white mountain towns stereotyping BIPOC folks as being non-local and unwelcome. In certain circumstances, I frequently feel compelled to make it a point to mention that I bought my current home before Covid because I am acutely aware of the silent assumptions that are flung my way.

We are all well aware that not all white people are “haves” but the second you pluck me from my actual (boujee AF) socioeconomic context I am significantly more likely to be talked down to, disrespected, condescended to, etc. than a white person in the next town over where they don’t know me. I know this for a fact since it’s my lived experience. I can’t exactly get away from my facial characteristics without major plastic surgery. And, yo, I’m not about to walk around my mountain town in the full lawyer regalia of makeup, heels and a skirt suit.

I don’t think @crosscountry used the best terminology but I understood his point enough to not feel compelled to jump in nitpicking.

I believe you when you say you support diversity in our sport and communities or I wouldn’t make the effort to engage you with this comment.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Trying to say this in a kind way… this comment seems a bit tone deaf in the context of the discussion about historically white mountain towns stereotyping BIPOC folks as being non-local and unwelcome. In certain circumstances, I frequently feel compelled to make it a point to mention that I bought my current home before Covid because I am acutely aware of the silent assumptions that are flung my way.

We are all well aware that not all white people are “haves” but the second you pluck me from my actual (boujee AF) socioeconomic context I am significantly more likely to be talked down to, disrespected, condescended to, etc. than a white person in the next town over where they don’t know me. I know this for a fact since it’s my lived experience. I can’t exactly get away from my facial characteristics without major plastic surgery. And, yo, I’m not about to walk around my mountain town in the full lawyer regalia of makeup, heels and a skirt suit.

I don’t think @crosscountry used the best terminology but I understood his point enough to not feel compelled to jump in nitpicking.

I believe you when you say you support diversity in our sport and communities or I wouldn’t make the effort to engage you with this comment.

I'll admit what I write out doesn't always reflect how I thought it was coming out in my head.

For my poor choice of words, I'm sorry. I sincerely appreciate your post.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have become friends with Lamont White over the past few years and have skied with him a few times.

Loved seeing this after his new installation

Edit: looking for link that works.
Screen shot here.
Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 9.05.07 PM.png

Sponsor