• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Online resource for ski racing workouts

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Interesting. When I look at her footwear, it is not consistent with moving big poundage.

In my younger years I did squat workouts going to 315 for 15 reps. Once I got much over 225 (I weighed 165 - about the same as the subject above) pedestrian athletic shoes just got crushed.

I'd think that her footwear would be more robust for such poundage.

An athlete at her level can have custom everything.
It would be interesting to get a look at those shoes.
They might have footbeds that fit her boots in them.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
@martyg is right, the story is bogus. Firstly, I could be wrong but from the picture I get 385lbs. The bar is also resting on the safety bars so whatever she is doing it is not a below parallel squat. Is she lifting it from there or lowering it or just posing for a picture? I don't know, but that is a very unconvincing picture. I am sure she legitimately squats a lot but this looks like a PR pose. The interesting aspect of the picture is that the PR guys were prepared to show her with heavy weights. Do a search on all the articles of Lindsay Vonn's supposed training routine, usually a deliberate effort to conceal the fact that she lifts anything but the lightest weights. In general the exercises in "Your favorite Olympian's training routine" type articles always seem to coincide with the current popular trend. If Yoga was more popular we would have a bunch of articles showing Olympians in Yoga poses.

jonc

Putting on skis
Skier
The red plates are 25kg, 3 per side plus a 20kg bar is 375lbs. Plus whatever is on the end, unknown black plates are probably another 5kg each. I’d say 400 is a good estimated total. I think the 485 number in the story was just a rough estimate from counting plates.

You cannot tell whether she lifted it or not as the photo is in the bottom position. A lot of weight lifting photos are taken this way because the athlete is not moving. I agree it looks like the rack is set above parallel for her. Partial squats could be part of her normal routine or related to her rehab coming back from knee injury.

All that said I think heavy squats are still a useful part of your workout.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
An athlete at her level can have custom everything.
It would be interesting to get a look at those shoes.
They might have footbeds that fit her boots in them.

Agreed that elite athletes can have custom everything, as can I.

Orthotics in those shoes would not convert them into a purposefully designed powerlifting shoe.

If I squat anything over 225 in a general athletic shoe I feel the foam of the mid-sole collapsing. Anything over that.... and the shoe is worthless.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online