• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Slowly, over the past year, the US Ski Team has been rebranding itself. You may have noticed the new US Ski Team logos on some athlete uniforms last season.

In June, the US Ski and Snowboard Association unveiled its official rebrand as US Ski & Snowboard. The new brand mark was created to unite athletes, members and fans as one team with a vision to be Best in the World in Olympic skiing and snowboarding. Now seven sports will be united with this one brand.

OneTeam.png

Here is the original announcement:

http://ussa.org/news/us-ski-snowboard-unveils-new-brand

A cool promotional video that gets you psyched for the upcoming season and the Olympics:

And even an explanation of the new logo!
Crest-Breakdown_U.S.-Ski-&-Snowboard-Crest-GFX-Qual-60-width-2000.jpg

There has been a URL change (but it will redirect automatically when finished):

http://usskiteam.com/ is now http://www.usskiandsnowboard.org/

And here's a visual of the progression over the years:

progression.png

What do you think about the changes and the new look?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I knew they had a new look but I hadn't heard the details.
Thanks for sharing.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the new logo.

My issue with the branding goes back to 1963. I wish it were USA like all the other Olympians rather than US. Chanting USA, USA, USA just sounds so much better than US, US, US. ogsmile

Then again, I'd never noticed it before. But now it will forever bug me. Thanks @Karen_skier2.0

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not a fan of the YOU ESS, looks like "US"

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
This is business strategy, plain and simple.

Like any substantial non profit, they need to raise more money. In their case, they need to really accelerate it, as this continuing "funding gap" is a thorn in many an ass.

I've heard that some of the research involved in this showed some confusion on the part of potential corporate donors/sponsors about just what this organization was/is.

"Uniting" this is about appealing to that base, because you will more clearly reach ALL of the stakeholders in all of the disciplines. It also enables, I imagine, fewer issues in trying to allocate money to those that struggle.

The logo itself doesn't blow me away. I would actually prefer the alpine ski team to be branded as the ski team. That's sort of traditional.

But, what is more important is fueling this organization with more revenue. More sponsorships, more donations. If this helps with substantial progress there, WIN.

They have always struggled with overhead and headcount, so the solution boils back to more revenue.

If you like the old logo, check out Phil's Garage . There sweet USST denim shirts for sale. Classics!

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
US Ski and Snowboard Association now officially rebranded as US Ski & Snowboard. The hope, apparently, is that this profound rework will bring sponsor dollars flooding in:huh:. Good God!

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
This is business strategy, plain and simple.

Like any substantial non profit, they need to raise more money. In their case, they need to really accelerate it, as this continuing "funding gap" is a thorn in many an ass.

I've heard that some of the research involved in this showed some confusion on the part of potential corporate donors/sponsors about just what this organization was/is.

"Uniting" this is about appealing to that base, because you will more clearly reach ALL of the stakeholders in all of the disciplines. It also enables, I imagine, fewer issues in trying to allocate money to those that struggle.

The logo itself doesn't blow me away. I would actually prefer the alpine ski team to be branded as the ski team. That's sort of traditional.

But, what is more important is fueling this organization with more revenue. More sponsorships, more donations. If this helps with substantial progress there, WIN.

It took awhile, but the logo is growing on me. I liked when they introduced the curves into the last logo since it denoted the mountain, and ski tracks, and more. From a graphics standpoint, this one is probably a lot easier to scale from very small to very large items.

I just would have thought the rebranding would have been mid-quadrennial instead of this close to the Winter Olympics.

The "One Team" reminded me of soccer's "One Team. One Nation."--but I have always like that slogan.

Looking at the media package, I'm confused that 7 sports are under the 3 logos for ski team, freeski, and snowboard. There is a 30+ page PDF and it does not clarify that point. I thought that US Ski Team is still reserved for Alpine, but then I don't know where the nordic events fit in? Freestyle was the predecessor for freeskiing, so that one hits me quite a bit personally, but I guess they need to spare 2 letters in the logo. ;).

It's all good with me if it increases the revenue for all teams!

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Surprised you all like it, most of the time people hate changes when surveyed.

The correct answer is the retro 1963 logo and let the snowboarders do their own thing, it’s better for them to be different anyway.

Remember it’s the boomers who grew up with the classic logo and who HAVE THE MONEY. Why not appeal to them? Why not sell 100,00 team hats for $40 with a 70% profit margin?

Doh

This is just a CEO exercise in marking his territory and erasing the old guard. It has zero or negative benefits to the organization.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Karen_skier2.0 asked "where do the nordic events fit in?" Sorry to say the US doesn't seem to be involved in Nordic skiing anymore. Disbanded the jumping, combined, and x-country teams, and sent the athletes away. That's one way to solve the funding problem.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it's kind of cartoon-y as logos go, but I'm more irritated by the no allowed acronym thing.

I was at an Alpine Officials' clinic last weekend and all of us, to a person, hated the move away from the familiar USSA acronym. "You-ssssssss" was the result from trying to be "verbally economical" with the new brand identity.

So for me, it will continue to be USSA. Sorry, but the not-too-old dog won't be learning any new branding tricks right now.

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Karen_skier2.0 asked "where do the nordic events fit in?" Sorry to say the US doesn't seem to be involved in Nordic skiing anymore. Disbanded the jumping, combined, and x-country teams, and sent the athletes away. That's one way to solve the funding problem.

I guess they just are wearing the new logo without support. :(

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just came across an old sheet of stickers and a new one.
EFE704E0-21D2-4CED-9D10-62C6CCA68888.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid