• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
There is something Westerners often don't get about Japan until they get there: Even very cheap, basic accommodations are going to be clean and safe and virtually everybody will be at the very least basically polite and accommodating.

Wonder what the Koreans feel about these days :)

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
go to smaller resorts that Japanese frequent.
Did you have any trouble getting to and around on the mountain speaking only English?

And were you able to interact with others without knowing Japanese?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Did you have any trouble getting to and around on the mountain speaking only English?

And were you able to interact with others without knowing Japanese?

In Hakuba, most Japanese can understand a little English. Some don’t, mainly those over maybe 50. But, e.g. menus are all available in English and have photos. I recall that one ryokan, where I tried dining at, that had zero English capability. The proprietor and I gave up and I left. That was before I was savvy enough to use Google translate.

Two years ago, in Myoko, which is frequented much less by Westerners, but when I was more savvy, I explored local restaurants and inns. It was a great success and left cherished memories. For instance, I walked into an old inn. Big alcove with old snowshoes and skis and backpacks above, on the walls. Long dark hallway to the unknown. A 50’s lady appeared, no English. I got the basic info. Then Two women guests entered. Same, no English, but from Tokyo. They were excited to show me around and the proprietor became more enthused too. At the end of the hallway were lounges with lounge chairs and a huge collection of VCR tapes, including skiing tapes. Upstairs were roomy rooms with tatami mats. Downstairs was a hot springs. Upon leaving, I asked how to make a reservation. The ladies gave me their names and contact info, all using google translate, and offered to be my reservationists. Now, that I think of it, since I plan to return to Myoko this January, I’ll take them up on their offer.

Oh, and there was that restaurant. I study a Japanese menu posted outside, using a translation app that uses the camera (I’m an expert now). It’s odd. I see the menu, but no restaurant. Instead, through the window, I see a used clothing shop. Then, the non English speaking proprietor comes out and offers me an English menu and invites me in. Past the clothing shop, behind curtains is the restaurant. I took a seat, alone, at a communal table. By the time I was served, an Aussie couple and an Alaskan couple had joined me. Had a great mushroom pasta (al dented with local mushrooms) and good company.

It is totally do-able for those that wish to explore and are willing to take the time.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Sorry, I wasn’t specific enough in my question. (I have traveled in Japan before, but no skiing). I’m comfortable finding my way around cities and even train station. But not sure about how easy it is to figure out the ski specific information. I’m a little concerned about skiing off the marked trail into a riverbed, or getting stuck at a deserted base because I misunderstood the shuttle bus schedule etc.

Also, did you take your own skis? I’m trying to come up with a picture of trying to rent equipment with hand gestures... (and if you did take your own skis, how easy is dragging skis around trains and buses? )

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
Why limit yourself to North America? If I were doing it, I'd head to the Pyrenees.
What a fantastic idea! Fun and funky resorts and super friendly. I have family in Toulouse and I always sneak-away to the Pyrenees whenever I visit.