• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes one more 29+ fork thread..... need advice/knowledge

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
So I was thinking.... which makes sense and what is the better option? Here's the crux of the matter: my Bike is a Why cycles Big Iron fat bike. I would like to roll 29x3.0 or possibly a 2.8. the main issue is Forks. The head is tapered 42upper/ 52 lower.

heres my current thinking. buy a fork that will run a 29x3.0.
2a. which forks will run this tire? pikes? MRP?

Open to suggestions and Ideas.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I scored a 2020 Fox 34 boost for 550. There’s no real difference between the fox and the pike now

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So I was thinking.... which makes sense and what is the better option? Here's the crux of the matter: my Bike is a Why cycles Big Iron fat bike. I would like to roll 29x3.0 or possibly a 2.8. the main issue is Forks. The head is tapered 42upper/ 52 lower.

heres my current thinking. buy a fork that will run a 29x3.0.
2a. which forks will run this tire? pikes? MRP?

Open to suggestions and Ideas.

I havent seen any. There is just not enough room (between the Arch and the uppers) there even with long travel forks. It would have to be a fork without an arch.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
FWI- through reading a bunch of 29+ forums, any FOX or Rockshox Boost 34 will run a 29x3.0 tire. As I posted, I scored a Blem 2020 Fox Float, Factory 34 Fit4 fork for $550. thats just a stuuuupid killer deal on a $909.00 fork

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
FWI- through reading a bunch of 29+ forums, any FOX or Rockshox Boost 34 will run a 29x3.0 tire. As I posted, I scored a Blem 2020 Fox Float, Factory 34 Fit4 fork for $550. thats just a stuuuupid killer deal on a $909.00 fork

It is probably gonna change the geometry of your bike quite a bit, no?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This one seems to have a very high arch which is awesome:

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

nope, 29x3.0 is just about the same as a 27.5x4.5

the machete is OK but not nearly as good as the Fox 34 and the Fox 34 was cheaper. both clear a 29x3.0

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, all new Rockshock forks clear 2.8 officially, which usually means 3.0 will work too.

@Ron , if you are turning your fat bike into a 29+ hardtail, check out NSMB.com, Andrew Major rides a rigid or hardtail 29+ and has many articles up about it.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It is also cheap ($45) to get a new airspring for a 34 and swap it to adjust the travel, and therefor axle to crown height, to match up with what you want.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yes! exactly! I am waiting to hear from Why Cycles on what he (Andy, the owner) recommends for travel.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
There’s no real difference between the fox and the pike now

Disagree. Very different feeling forks. (not a better than/ worse than thing--but different for sure).

I vastly prefer the Pike and just ditched a Fox Factory 34 on my trail bike for the Pike Ultimate.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
In the past couple of years, the Floats small bump and mid-stroke has improved vastly. But, that's why there's more than one company making them. :). IMHo, if you really want to optimize the performance of any shock, send it off to Push Industries. They make significant improvements to your forks and shocks.

Sponsor

Staff online