• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hey guys, longtime lurker and first time poster here.

I’m trying to get a one ski quiver for my conditions in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland (and trips once or twice a year to Vermont). I ski a lot of groomers where ice and slush are very real concerns. This season I intend to get into off piste skiing, explore catching air, and generally shift over to a more freeride experience. I’m looking for a ski that I can ski aggressively and confidently with on groomers but I can also take off piste and learn with. I’d like it to be a directional (more directional than something like the ON3P Kartels/Jeffreys) with some balls, but also something that won’t punish me if I relax a bit.

From what I’ve read in descriptions and some very short reviews, the ON3P woodsman 96 seems like the perfect ski for my needs. My one big unknown is how the ski will handle on ice/very hard pack.

Does anyone have experience with the woodsman? Or are there any other skis I should be looking at? Thanks all!

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'm an On3p fanboi. But for the places you're describing, I think you're better served by something more hardpack focused than the Woodsman. When On3p and most reviewers write about it being good on groomers, we're talking about Western groomers which are typically far softer the mid-Atlantic.

Something in the 80ish range, with some tip rocker makes more sense. They'll be better on hardpack and tip rocker will keep them able off piste in more 3D snow. When you start traveling out West frequently, demo some 100-ish skis.

You'll find a lot of love for Liberty's new VMT 82 around here.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
+1 to jmeb.

For the use profile you're describing in Vermont I think the Woodsman would make tons of sense. As someone who grew up skiing PA I would not necessarily want it (or any ON3P) in that environment.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I give terrible advice....but...

If you are truly interested in the ON3P...go for it...it’s great to support these type of companies. Ski it and see how you like it. Very impressive build and quality control is incredible. If it’s not for you here on the EC, sell it....you’ll definitely find buyers out there on other sites. If you are my size....I’d consider taking them off your hands....lol

*I bought the 189 Wren 108 last year, skied it a few times at Hunter and up in VT....really enjoyed it...and would of definitely kept it if for not finding a pair of a Katanas I had been hunting for. I don’t really like having a quiver so I sold the Wrens basically new and recouped most of my purchase. I really had a great winter on the Katanas, so I will ski them another year......after that, it’s a crapshoot. I’m married to my boots.....I just date my skis.

My next “test run” ski is probably going to be some Moments.....everyone seems to be impressed by their versatility.... @Brian Finch

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The new volkll Mantra, 102, I think and the new K2 mindbender series seem to fit better for hard pack

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 to going with a narrower (<90) all mountain option with good carving chops and decent versatility. You height/weight stats will also be really helpful.

If you're into ON3P as a brand, I'd consider the Lib Tech Wreckreate 84. Indy brand, built in the US, super durable, and top notch environmental standards. But it might be a little soft if you're on the tall/heavy side. Lots of solid options in that class with the Brahma (88 or 82)/Bushwacker, new narrower Enforcer 88, Kendo/Kanjo, & Invictus 98ti.

And how do you expect your days to split between home & travel? (If I remember correctly, skiing the mid-Atlantic as a kid, off piste was usually dirt. If the majority of your days are there, I'd go narrower and rent on the deep days). Are you getting a first pair of skis or do you have a narrower option now that you could keep as a companion to a wider ski?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Libtech indie? They were owned by Rossi/ Quiksilver for a good while.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Libtech indie? They were owned by Rossi/ Quiksilver for a good while.

They've been independent (other than private equity ownership) since I've been in WA (which, admittedly, has only been ~5 years). They're around 50-60 employees, which makes them about 2-3 times the size of the likes of DPS/Moment/Icelantic, but that's also split across both snowsports, wake & surf, as well as across Roxy and GNU. I'm probably underestimating the size of their snowboard business a bit, but their location in Sequim and home mountain at Hurricane Ridge (1 POMA/1 rope tow) doesn't exactly scream titans of industry. And if they're in LibTech skis, they're more likely than not Peninsula kids.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
On3p makes IMO the most bulletproof /durable skis on the market. I have a pair of 191 Jeffery 114 (2015 when they were chargier than the more freestyle kartel they turned into.. Now back to being called Jeffery again but softer than og) with upwards of 250 days on them. Probably put a Woodsman 108 into the rotation this winter.

That being said across the board 0n3p skis are heavy. Also they come measured after pressing so ski 1-2cm longer than other brands in the same length. The indestructible bases, edges,and sidewalls add a good bit of weight. The lineup is mostly geared to the upper level advanced and expert skier that likes to charge at Mach loony speeds and actually sees the added weight as a bonus for stability.

As someone who grew up skiing 7springs (and still does on occasion) it probably wouldn't be high on my list for a daily driver in those parts. Not saying don't do it, as did above if you get on them and don't gel it should be pretty easy to sell them.

As @Analisa said lib tech is a solid option.
Have a lib tech wreckreate 100 in my current quiver and had a lot of fun in the around 40 days I put on them this season. Good build quality and an all around fun ski especially for the price. The magni-traction (serrated edge) definately gives a different edge hold grip than anything I've ever been on which did takeme a few days to get used to. For a 100 they can really get down on some groomers. Got them to fill the spot for a less chargy option with a shorter (19) radius for when it hasn't snowed in a bit and I'm riding groomers, trees, and bumps. Ended up as my spring slush ski for quite a few days on the tail end of the season also.

Favorite charictstic of the ski was how balanced it was in the air. Possibly best of anything I've been on. Biggest critique would be that for a directional ski it had a very freestyle mount at only 4 back from center. Great for maneuverability but not super stable off piste at high speeds. Thought if they were a bit heavier it would have given a better balance. But I personally like heavy skis

The wreck 90 would be something I would consider as a mid Atlantic option for myself definately. Didn't even know they made an 84 this season so that could be interesting. Would probably put a demo binding on them just to mess around with the mount point if I bought another pair, + if you don't agree with them it's pretty easy to off a ski with a demo binding

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
On3p makes IMO the most bulletproof /durable skis on the market......

That being said across the board 0n3p skis are heavy. ....

One in the same. On3p not only has great construction and qc -- but they simply use the most bomber materials available to ski makers. 1.8mm thick Durasurf bases add noticeable weight compared to almost all other manufacturers (Jskis is exception) use of 1.2-1.4mm. Combine that with the fact that they measure length post-pressing vs most manufacturers measuring material pre-pressing and a 180 On3p is going to simply be a lot more ski in weight and length than a 180 from most.

Reactions: BC.
TS
Dos-Equis

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm an On3p fanboi. But for the places you're describing, I think you're better served by something more hardpack focused than the Woodsman. When On3p and most reviewers write about it being good on groomers, we're talking about Western groomers which are typically far softer the mid-Atlantic.

Something in the 80ish range, with some tip rocker makes more sense. They'll be better on hardpack and tip rocker will keep them able off piste in more 3D snow. When you start traveling out West frequently, demo some 100-ish skis.

You'll find a lot of love for Liberty's new VMT 82 around here.

Thanks, I think youre absolutely right- there may have been something lost in translation when I read reviews. Do you think something like the VMT 82 would be versatile enough to take off piste and hit side cuts?

Ive actually got a lead on a pair of Nordica Navigators for a great price. Do you have any thoughts on something like that?

TS
Dos-Equis

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
I give terrible advice....but...

If you are truly interested in the ON3P...go for it...it’s great to support these type of companies. Ski it and see how you like it. Very impressive build and quality control is incredible. If it’s not for you here on the EC, sell it....you’ll definitely find buyers out there on other sites. If you are my size....I’d consider taking them off your hands....lol

*I bought the 189 Wren 108 last year, skied it a few times at Hunter and up in VT....really enjoyed it...and would of definitely kept it if for not finding a pair of a Katanas I had been hunting for. I don’t really like having a quiver so I sold the Wrens basically new and recouped most of my purchase. I really had a great winter on the Katanas, so I will ski them another year......after that, it’s a crapshoot. I’m married to my boots.....I just date my skis.

My next “test run” ski is probably going to be some Moments.....everyone seems to be impressed by their versatility.... @Brian Finch
Haha, thanks! If I get them and dont like them Ill let you know. Im 5'11 185lbs so Id probably be grabbing a 181-186

TS
Dos-Equis

Dos-Equis

Getting on the lift
Skier
+1 to going with a narrower (<90) all mountain option with good carving chops and decent versatility. You height/weight stats will also be really helpful.

If you're into ON3P as a brand, I'd consider the Lib Tech Wreckreate 84. Indy brand, built in the US, super durable, and top notch environmental standards. But it might be a little soft if you're on the tall/heavy side. Lots of solid options in that class with the Brahma (88 or 82)/Bushwacker, new narrower Enforcer 88, Kendo/Kanjo, & Invictus 98ti.

And how do you expect your days to split between home & travel? (If I remember correctly, skiing the mid-Atlantic as a kid, off piste was usually dirt. If the majority of your days are there, I'd go narrower and rent on the deep days). Are you getting a first pair of skis or do you have a narrower option now that you could keep as a companion to a wider ski?

Awesome, Ill definitely check out the lib techs. Sorry I thought I had listed my stats but looks like I deleted it. Im 5'11, 185, reasonably athletic. This will be my second season and my first experience with anything other than rentals. So Im looking for a "jack of all trades" ski that will let me move towards my freeridish goals without sacrificing too much on hardpack. So far Ive found that I like to ski fairly aggressively with a variety of turn shapes. But I also like to back off at times and slow down. I'm a bit concerned, based on reviews, that the brahma/bushwacker and the like would be overly demanding... but tbh Im not sure what to expect in comparison to rentals.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You know, if you like the ON3P’s the model to consider would’ve been the Wrenegade 88 which they discontinued a year or two back. That said, the Wrenegade 96 makes a lot of sense. I haven’t A/B’d it yet with the Woodsman, so I’m interested in the differences. That said, neither would be what I would choose for a hardpack ski, for one thing ON3P tends to made skis with a more rocker/early rise than comparable skis, so less effective edge. OTOH they punch well above their width in soft snow. They are versatile and intuitive to ski, and great as a one-ski quiver if your emphasis isn’t hardpack performance as a top priority.

So.....groomers with slush and ice, aspiring freeride, maybe K2 Ikonic 84 TI or Head Monster 83 . I haven’t been on any Liberty skis yet but based on reviews they sound promising. And come to think of it, the more soft snow oriented you want to go, the ON3P Wren 96 still sounds like a good option.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The OP skis near Washington, DC.
....I’m trying to get a one ski quiver for my conditions in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland (and trips once or twice a year to Vermont). I ski a lot of groomers where ice and slush are very real concerns. This season I intend to get into off piste skiing, explore catching air, and generally shift over to a more freeride experience....This will be my second season and my first experience with anything other than rentals. So Im looking for a "jack of all trades" ski that will let me move towards my freeridish goals without sacrificing too much on hardpack. ....

You folks are recommending a 96 waisted ski for this guy as his first purchased ski, for his second season on snow ever, after his only experience is rentals, and he skis in the mid-Atlantic on hard snow groomers??

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You folks are recommending a 96 waisted ski for this guy as his first purchased ski, for his second on snow ever, after his only experience is rentals, and he skis in the mid-Atlantic on hard snow groomers??

96 is the ski the OP asked about. The vast majority of us in this thread are suggesting they go narrower and more hard snow focused.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I agree with @David Chaus suggestion of the Head Monster 83, and would add the Head Titian 80 for it's versatility. Having skied the Titian in PA and NY in most of the conditions listed it will be able to do what the OP wants.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
OP hasn't us given much information about their technical skill or size. Given that -- I'm weary of a Monster 83. That skis absolutely rips but it isn't for the faint of heart. @Josh Matta has a good review of it on this board.

Something in the mid-high 80s with some tip rocker will be more versatile off-piste and in trees. The M83 is certainly not a free-ride styled ski. I think a brahma (or old Latigo) or Invictus 89ti or the Mindbender 90ti are all much more the sort of ski OP is looking for.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
OP hasn't us given much information about their technical skill or size. Given that -- I'm weary of a Monster 83. That skis absolutely rips but it isn't for the faint of heart. @Josh Matta has a good review of it on this board.

Something in the mid-high 80s with some tip rocker will be more versatile off-piste and in trees. The M83 is certainly not a free-ride styled ski. I think a brahma (or old Latigo) or Invictus 89ti or the Mindbender 90ti are all much more the sort of ski OP is looking for.
The Latigo is 78 the Brahma is 88 of the two the Brahma might be a good choice.

Sponsor

Staff online