• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comparison Review ON3P Demo Day, Stevens Pass 3/17/18

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tester: Age 55, 5’10”, 145 lbs. Level whatever, part-time instructor, working on PSIA level 2. Likes everything and thinks bumps are fun rather than obstacles.

I am looking for a wider crud and powder ski to replace (or possible complement) my Head Rev 105’s. I am likely replacing my Rev 85’s with a Renoun Z-90, though the DPS Cassiar 87 Alchemist (maybe Foundation) are also candidates.

Nature did not cooperate with soft snow conditions. It last snowed earlier in the week, and the lower elevations got warmed up above freezing so there was some refrozen crust, while the upper mountain wasn’t too bad. So, I took this as an opportunity to see how these wider skis did in less-than-favorable conditions, which is kinda what I wanted to do, anyway. I took all of these skis on the same route: double back bumps and crud on 7th Heaven (the Meadows and Cloud 9), groomer to Tye Mill chair, over to the back side (bumps on Corona Creek/Sneaky Chute) and then steepish, scraped out black on Shooting Star. Jupiter lift back to the front side, Roller Coaster/GunTower bumps down Tye Mill and flat run out on Promenade back to the base.

Under normal circumstances I would not have gone up 7th Heaven after the first run. While the top half was skiable, the bottom half was refrozen crust and coral and not much fun. I would have wanted my Rev 85’s with some metal, if anything, but it was definitely “good for you” snow. So perfect for testing a powder ski, eh?

By the time I got to the demo tent at 9:15am, most everything was out, except for a few park skis. Well, that and a Wrenegade 108 in 189. Note, I usually ski something in 177 for frontside and low 180’s for wider skis. However, ON3P make skis with bamboo cores, and the 189 was actually pretty light under my feet, did not feel unmanageable.There’s also a lot of rocker, so it was pretty easy to get it to turn. At that length it offered a lot of stability and helped ski through the crud, even the crusty stuff. I could kind of ski bumps, but not really. This ski wants to go down the fall line. I noticed that I could put it on edge, but when I wanted to tighten up the turn radius, at the end of the turn my outside ski wanted to continue down the fall line, diverting from where I was guiding my inside ski. Stil, I was surprised how well I was able to steer this bad boy.

Next I sized down and got on the Wrenegade 108 in 184. A little more turntable, but pretty much the same thing. The Wren 108 in 184 was the only ski I fell on a few times, for some reason the tip got caught on some crud and didn’t want to come around to start a turn. I think the extra length of the 189 allowed the tip to glide over chop at the start of the turn better than the 184. No better in bumps than the 189, still very solid and wants to go, go down the fall line, and go fast. The Wrenegades don’t feel burly, but they ski burly. They are sold, stable skis that can turn you into a meat missile if you are not on your game.

This was good information for me; made me realize this wasn’t what I wanted, not enough finesse-ability for me.

I next tried a Kartel 96 in 186 (it’s what they had available). Kartel are more twin-tip, center mounted, jibbing-oriented and playful. The 96 is a new width, with a different sidecut than in the past. When I tried Kartel a couple of years ago, I felt they wanted to springboard me off every bump. This time, I felt more planted, and the Kartel has a nice feel underfoot, you can carve them easily - but then on moguls, you can quickly pivot them around. I mean, I could change directions really quickly, even on a 186. They can make a much rounder turn than the Wrenegade, and they are almost as stable on the frozen crud as the more directional Wrenegade.

I then tried a new, wider Kartel, the 114, again in 186. (They make a 181 as well) but it was out. A little slower edge-to-edge than the 96, but not that much. Still felt light for the size, very easy to ski, very responsive to input. Actually pretty fun ski. The wider Kartel was much friendlier than the Wrenegade, it makes a great powder and crud ski if you also want playfulness.

Finally I got on the Billy Goat, first in 189 and then in 184. Two years ago, the 184 felt comfortable and the 179 was freaking amazing. This year, they didn’t have the 179 for the demo tent. The rep advised that unlike the other ON3P’s the Billy Goats have an asymmetric tip taper, which they incorporated last year and supposedly makes it easier to for the tips and tails to engage and release. The upshot it there is a definite Right and Left ski and they advised not to mix them up. They also changed the sidecut to improve hardpack performance. I had lots of fun with the both the 189 and 184, the edge going to the 184 for my size and weight. It’s supposed to be a powder ski, with a width of 116, but man, these can carve and hold an edge. They are very smooth engaging and releasing, capable of beautiful brushed turns. They are better at bumps than the Wrenegades and Kartels, and just about anything else as wider or much narrower. If you look at the width you might think it’s a wider ski than needed for most days, overkill for anything but a big dump. In reality they are versatile for a lot of conditions, they reward good technique but aren’t demanding at all, one of the most accessible wider skis I’ve ever been on. I ended the demo day thinking I could have fun all day on a Billy Goat, even on a day like today with no new snow and lots of refrozen crud.

Winner of the day: Billy Goat, 184. I may still consider the 179, however wouldn’t need to stress about if I bought the wrong length if I got the 184.

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tester: Age 55, 5’10”, 145 lbs. Level whatever, part-time instructor, working on PSIA level 2. Likes everything and thinks bumps are fun rather than obstacles.

I am looking for a wider crud and powder ski to replace (or possible complement) my Head Rev 105’s. I am likely replacing my Rev 85’s with a Renoun Z-90, though the DPS Cassiar 87 Alchemist (maybe Foundation) are also candidates.

Nature did not cooperate with soft snow conditions. It last snowed earlier in the week, and the lower elevations got warmed up above freezing so there was some refrozen crust, while the upper mountain wasn’t too bad. So, I took this as an opportunity to see how these wider skis did in less-than-favorable conditions, which is kinda what I wanted to do, anyway. I took all of these skis on the same route: double back bumps and crud on 7th Heaven (the Meadows and Cloud 9), groomer to Tye Mill chair, over to the back side (bumps on Corona Creek/Sneaky Chute) and then steepish, scraped out black on Shooting Star. Jupiter lift back to the front side, Roller Coaster/GunTower bumps down Tye Mill and flat run out on Promenade back to the base.

Under normal circumstances I would not have gone up 7th Heaven after the first run. While the top half was skiable, the bottom half was refrozen crust and coral and not much fun. I would have wanted my Rev 85’s with some metal, if anything, but it was definitely “good for you” snow. So perfect for testing a powder ski, eh?

By the time I got to the demo tent at 9:15am, most everything was out, except for a few park skis. Well, that and a Wrenegade 108 in 189. Note, I usually ski something in 177 for frontside and low 180’s for wider skis. However, ON3P make skis with bamboo cores, and the 189 was actually pretty light under my feet, did not feel unmanageable.There’s also a lot of rocker, so it was pretty easy to get it to turn. At that length it offered a lot of stability and helped ski through the crud, even the crusty stuff. I could kind of ski bumps, but not really. This ski wants to go down the fall line. I noticed that I could put it on edge, but when I wanted to tighten up the turn radius, at the end of the turn my outside ski wanted to continue down the fall line, diverting from where I was guiding my inside ski. Stil, I was surprised how well I was able to steer this bad boy.

Next I sized down and got on the Wrenegade 108 in 184. A little more turntable, but pretty much the same thing. The Wren 108 in 184 was the only ski I fell on a few times, for some reason the tip got caught on some crud and didn’t want to come around to start a turn. I think the extra length of the 189 allowed the tip to glide over chop at the start of the turn better than the 184. No better in bumps than the 189, still very solid and wants to go, go down the fall line, and go fast. The Wrenegades don’t feel burly, but they ski burly. They are sold, stable skis that can turn you into a meat missile if you are not on your game.

This was good information for me; made me realize this wasn’t what I wanted, not enough finesse-ability for me.

I next tried a Kartel 96 in 186 (it’s what they had available). Kartel are more twin-tip, center mounted, jibbing-oriented and playful. The 96 is a new width, with a different sidecut than in the past. When I tried Kartel a couple of years ago, I felt they wanted to springboard me off every bump. This time, I felt more planted, and the Kartel has a nice feel underfoot, you can carve them easily - but then on moguls, you can quickly pivot them around. I mean, I could change directions really quickly, even on a 186. They can make a much rounder turn than the Wrenegade, and they are almost as stable on the frozen crud as the more directional Wrenegade.

I then tried a new, wider Kartel, the 114, again in 186. (They make a 181 as well) but it was out. A little slower edge-to-edge than the 96, but not that much. Still felt light for the size, very easy to ski, very responsive to input. Actually pretty fun ski. The wider Kartel was much friendlier than the Wrenegade, it makes a great powder and crud ski if you also want playfulness.

Finally I got on the Billy Goat, first in 189 and then in 184. Two years ago, the 184 felt comfortable and the 179 was freaking amazing. This year, they didn’t have the 179 for the demo tent. The rep advised that unlike the other ON3P’s the Billy Goats have an asymmetric tip taper, which they incorporated last year and supposedly makes it easier to for the tips and tails to engage and release. The upshot it there is a definite Right and Left ski and they advised not to mix them up. They also changed the sidecut to improve hardpack performance. I had lots of fun with the both the 189 and 184, the edge going to the 184 for my size and weight. It’s supposed to be a powder ski, with a width of 116, but man, these can carve and hold an edge. They are very smooth engaging and releasing, capable of beautiful brushed turns. They are better at bumps than the Wrenegades and Kartels, and just about anything else as wider or much narrower. If you look at the width you might think it’s a wider ski than needed for most days, overkill for anything but a big dump. In reality they are versatile for a lot of conditions, they reward good technique but aren’t demanding at all, one of the most accessible wider skis I’ve ever been on. I ended the demo day thinking I could have fun all day on a Billy Goat, even on a day like today with no new snow and lots of refrozen crud.

Winner of the day: Billy Goat, 184. I may still consider the 179, however wouldn’t need to stress about if I bought the wrong length if I got the 184.

Great review...were the skis you demoed 2019 models (next years)?

I was targeting a Wren for purchase....but now maybe the BG?....after your review?

I’d be a 189 guy. 6’1 205....like playful skis that can still rip a groomer on the way back to the lift. Coming off a 193 Shiro.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Good review!
I'm a huge fan of On3p.
Is that next years Kartel coming in a 114 instead of 116? I have a Jeffery in my quiver that I absolutely love! 114-191 so bummed they stopped making them in 16". They are a little heavy but charge through the chop. Kartel seem a little lighter with a close shape and rocker profile.

Have yet to ski "the goat" but have only heard great things. Too bad they don't come to Tahoe for some demo days

Last edited:

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Demo'd the Kartel 98 and Wrenegade 98 at Smuggler's Notch. Both great skis ... I preferred the feel and turn radius of the Kartel 98 for how I use a ski of this type, which includes glades/trees, bumps, etc. Wrenegade was an awesome fall-line crud-buster, but not as nimble in tight spaces.

@iggyskier - Can you explain a little more about the changes to the Kartel 96 (no longer 98) for next year? I was told it was moving in the direction of more of an all-mountain focus rather than jib-focus, but could use any additional info. you might have. Thanks!

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Demo'd the Kartel 98 and Wrenegade 98 at Smuggler's Notch. Both great skis ... I preferred the feel and turn radius of the Kartel 98 for how I use a ski of this type, which includes glades/trees, bumps, etc. Wrenegade was an awesome fall-line crud-buster, but not as nimble in tight spaces.

@iggyskier - Can you explain a little more about the changes to the Kartel 96 (no longer 98) for next year? I was told it was moving in the direction of more of an all-mountain focus rather than jib-focus, but could use any additional info. you might have. Thanks!

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Great review...were the skis you demoed 2019 models (next years)?

I was targeting a Wren for purchase....but now maybe the BG?....after your review?

I’d be a 189 guy. 6’1 205....like playful skis that can still rip a groomer on the way back to the lift. Coming off a 193 Shiro.

These were 2018-19’s. ON3P is actually making the new season’s skis available for purchase pretty soon, rather than waiting until the fall.
FWIW the Billy Goat is unchanged for 18-19, probably the first time that’s ever happened.

I was also thinking about the Wrenegades, but they really like to go fast. The rep says the Wrens are the ski that can wear him out if skiing all day. Even though the Billy Goats are a “powder” ski, I think they handle crud, especially PNW-style, better. The tail allows for easier release and the ability to control turn shape and speed.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These were 2018-19’s. ON3P is actually making the new season’s skis available for purchase pretty soon, rather than waiting until the fall.
FWIW the Billy Goat is unchanged for 18-19, probably the first time that’s ever happened.

I was also thinking about the Wrenegades, but they really like to go fast. The rep says the Wrens are the ski that can wear him out if skiing all day. Even though the Billy Goats are a “powder” ski, I think they handle crud, especially PNW-style, better. The tail allows for easier release and the ability to control turn shape and speed.

Yes...I plan a purchase this summer. I was locked into the Wren 108 and wanted a 2019. The BG sounds intriguing albeit the same type of ski I’ve been on previously.

Thanks....would love to hear more about them.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Billy Goat seems like a super cool ski. Apart from the many positive reviews, and the great name, I think it has the best graphics out there. If I was to buy an ON3P ski though, I'd probably head towards the Kartel 108 which sounds like a fun West Coast allrounder that's a little more versatile. It's a shame David didn't manage to get on those in a 181.

It'd be interesting if people are able to compare these skis to more mainstream skis.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@iggyskier - Can you explain a little more about the changes to the Kartel 96 (no longer 98) for next year? I was told it was moving in the direction of more of an all-mountain focus rather than jib-focus, but could use any additional info. you might have. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Here is an explanation of the differences in the 2018/2019 models as explained by ON3P's Scott Andrus on Blister Gear who had a pair of the new 2018/19 Kartel 108 in for review.

"According to ON3P, the current 2017-2018 Kartel 98 and 108 uses an elliptical sidecut in both the front and back of the ski. This basically means that the sidecut is longer / straighter in the middle of the ski, and gets shorter / tighter as you get closer to the ends of the ski.

For 18/19, the Kartel 108 and 96 will now use what ON3P is calling “hybrid sidecut,” which is elliptical in the front of the ski, and standard radius in the back of the ski. (The Kartel 116 will return unchanged, maintaining a bi-radius sidecut)

Here’s what ON3P’s Scott Andrus says about the change to the sidecut:

“As we push the Kartel line a bit more all mountain, we wanted a bit less hookiness in the tail, while keeping the skis ability to carve going forward. So this will hold the turn shape in the tail a bit more consistently and takes out a bit of catchiness. That said, its a minor change so I’m not sure that most people would be able to notice.”

We didn’t find the 17/18 Kartel 108 to feel particularly hooky, but we’ll be keeping this sidecut change in mind while testing the updated Kartel 108."

Billy Goat seems like a super cool ski. Apart from the many positive reviews, and the great name, I think it has the best graphics out there. If I was to buy an ON3P ski though, I'd probably head towards the Kartel 108 which sounds like a fun West Coast allrounder that's a little more versatile. It's a shame David didn't manage to get on those in a 181.

It'd be interesting if people are able to compare these skis to more mainstream skis.

Skis that would be similar to the Kartel line would be the- Armada ARV 96/106(Although the ARV are not as damp or well built-ARV96 Ti more similar), Black Crows Camox and Atris(softer in flex than the Kartel, not as beefy but fun all mountain freestyle skis), Moment PB&J (Similar fantastic build quality to ON3P), Line Sir Francis Bacon(again lighter and not as beefy as the Kartel), K2 Poacher or Marksman (Similar weight and flex), J Skis Metal/Master Blaster(similar weight and feel but again not as well built as ON3P) and maybe the Blizzard Rustler line which is lighter than the ON3P and is kinda between the Kartel and Wren lines as far as binding mounts position and feel.

The ON3P Kartel line and Wren for the matter are kind of unique in that don't use metal(this might change next year though in the Wrens) but are still fairly beefy and damp, haven't gone to the "super light is better" approach so even their freestyle Kartel range can still charge though crud and are stable at higher speeds and their build quality is insane with very thick and beefy edges and base material. Even the way they measure their skis is AFTER pressing so the 181cm actually measures 181cm rather than 179cm approx like almost every other twin tip ski.
The biggest testament to ON3P is how rare it is to see them for sale used and if they do come up, it's because the person is buying another ON3P ski with the used price closer to new prices still and is sold in minutes. Rare to have a ON3P customer with only 1 pair of their skis.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Skis that would be similar to the Kartel line would be ... J Skis Metal/Master Blaster(similar weight and feel but again not as well built as ON3P)

Interesting, as Master Blaster is another ski I'm looking at. Is your comment about not being as well built as ON3P Kartel primarily comparing the beefy edges and base material? Just wondering, since most of the reviews I have read on J skis suggest very nice build quality.

Thanks for all the information!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting, as Master Blaster is another ski I'm looking at. Is your comment about not being as well built as ON3P Kartel primarily comparing the beefy edges and base material? Just wondering, since most of the reviews I have read on J skis suggest very nice build quality.

Thanks for all the information!

Yes, the bases, edges and everything else on the ON3P are built for abuse that many park riders seem to give them on rails etc. but many ON3P owners who don't ski in the park always are shocked at how well their bases hold up with hitting rocks etc. on/off piste. J Skis are very well built indeed but ON3P have a rep of being "bomb proof" in the freestyle world that's very well deserved.

Most J Skis are more park/freestyle/playful and softer flexing but the Metal and Masterblaster are fun skis that can still charge groomers too. Very good skis too!