• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

On the use of ankles to turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
so to summarize this thread.

Karlo thinks that we dont use our ankle or shouldnt use them. Skier agrees with him.

Every single PSIA, PMTS and other wise knowledgeable tech posters as well as video being described by Mikela fing shiffrin is saying use your ankles.

just learn how to tip your feet, it may only be your perceptions of your own movement but it starts on the ground, its certainly does nt start by trying to twist your femurs prior to your feet tilting.

Terrible summary.

I use my ankles in every single ski turn I make, and I am sure everyone in this thread except for 'skier" will say the same thing.

Well you're sure about this, uh? If you look back at my posts, you'll see that I said I use my ankles and always have.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Setting aside railroad tracks and side slipping for now, and just thinking about a freeskiing carve with weightlessness, I'm fairly certain now, having done the weightless variation of @razie's seated experiment, that everything moves together. So, one's mind can focus on moving the ankle, everything else will move. Or, the mind can focus on moving (rotating) the hip, and everything else will move. So, maybe whether one focuses on ankles or hips (or knees) depends on where one is tightest (or the least coordinated). I think my ankles are pretty loose; they move on their own accord when needed. My hips, on the other hand, need some mental attention to get them to move, in a coordinated way, at the speed I want them to move.

Just thinking out loud on a keyboard.

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
Setting aside railroad tracks and side slipping for now, and just thinking about a freeskiing carve with weightlessness, I'm fairly certain now, having done the weightless variation of @razie's seated experiment, that everything moves together. So, one's mind can focus on moving the ankle, everything else will move. Or, the mind can focus on moving (rotating) the hip, and everything else will move. So, maybe whether one focuses on ankles or hips (or knees) depends on where one is tightest (or the least coordinated). I think my ankles are pretty loose; they move on their own accord when needed. My hips, on the other hand, need some mental attention to get them to move, in a coordinated way, at the speed I want them to move.

Just thinking out loud on a keyboard.

Alright Karlo, I'm going to do you a favor. Watch this video below by Shiffrin on the use of hips. After watching it you will understand the proper use of hips, and yes they move constantly. You will understand hip dumping, and then you'll never need to talk about hips in a forum again and risk upsetting forum members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January