• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada On the snow volunteering for high school students?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
All

This is of interest to my family right now, but I know it can be interesting for others as well. For those not familiar: High School kids in the US typically do lots of volunteering in order to round up extra credit for their College applications.

Anyways, we are talking about an intermediate skier who can definitely chaperone, say, local school kids to the mountain if they go for a field trip, or a weekend camp, help them boot up, hang our with little new skiers, etc - he has done summer camp work and LOVED working with little ones. Tahoe area would be ideal.

As it happens with these things, the hosting organization needs to be able to emit a certificate of participation, etc., but this pretty standard. I know it's a long shot but worth asking.

Needless to say, I appreciate any ideas, and let's please not debate whether or not volunteering should be rewarded this way. It is what it is :)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I recall, years ago at Tod Mtn, now called Sun Peaks, they had a Shadow Patrol program for high school students who basically spent the day with a Patroller helping out, observing and learning.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I recall, years ago at Tod Mtn, now called Sun Peaks, they had a Shadow Patrol program for high school students who basically spent the day with a Patroller helping out, observing and learning.

Something like this would be awesome. @ScotsSkier : are you aware of anything along these lines in Mt Rose?

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have your teen contact Mt. Rose and explain the desire to volunteer. With the holiday crowds coming, I would lay odds there is somewhere they would love to have teen volunteers. Also, a little initiative is a very attractive quality in an applicant.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I know that here we have middle school ski clubs. That may be a route they can look at. I would think that could push all the right volunteer buttons.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is it really volunteering if the beneficiary is a for-profit corporation? All that is doing is replacing what should be paid employee or paid position.

If you are providing free labor for a for-profit corporation that should be more accurately categorized more as an internship or work experience rather than volunteering.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it really volunteering if the beneficiary is a for-profit corporation? All that is doing is replacing what should be paid employee or paid position.

If you are providing free labor for a for-profit corporation that should be more accurately categorized more as an internship or work experience rather than volunteering.
Many hospitals use volunteers in a variety of departments and they are for profit. Most internships are paid positions now (not all) and then are more specific to a career training. Volunteer work is unpaid and does not generally lead to career advancement opportunities. You are right though, our local mountains have volunteer ski patrol who supplement the regular patrollers and handle some of the lower skilled work.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Many hospitals use volunteers in a variety of departments and they are for profit. Most internships are paid positions now (not all) and then are more specific to a career training. Volunteer work is unpaid and does not generally lead to career advancement opportunities. You are right though, our local mountains have volunteer ski patrol who supplement the regular patrollers and handle some of the lower skilled work.

There's nuances and details that are unsaid in your statement. Company and corporation put themselves at risk with the Department of Labor depending on the exact scenario. It can't all be brushed together saying because there is some volunteers at some hospitals therefore all work at any company can be volunteer work.
The devil is in the details and lawyers, HR and accounting should be all over it; with the main crux being who is the beneficiary of the work and the nature of the work
You can google it if you want to go down this rabbit hole.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There's nuances and details that are unsaid in your statement. Company and corporation put themselves at risk with the Department of Labor depending on the exact scenario. It can't all be brushed together saying because there is some volunteers at some hospitals therefore all work at any company can be volunteer work.
The devil is in the details and lawyers, HR and accounting should be all over it; with the main crux being who is the beneficiary of the work and the nature of the work
You can google it if you want to go down this rabbit hole.
Nope. Not a fan of rabbit holes! :beercheer:

Sponsor