• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

On the Accuracy of Long Term Weather (Snow!) Forecasts

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Very nice article indeed, thanks for sharing.
But I think most of us will still look at the forecasts and daydream. It's like horoscopes - they're complete BS, but people still have fun with them :)

sdstarr

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Long range forecasts are bad, but for some reason long range forecasts of the Pacific Northwest are really, really bad. However, if you want some good medium to short range forecasts in Washington check out the Poobah of Powder, Larry Schick!

https://powderpoobah.com/about

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

Thorough and lengthy article. I skipped to the end for this summary:

Some forecasters will use years of experience to adjust what the models are predicting, and a few forecasters could get it right some years. But as you can see above, most of the predictions for temperature, precipitation, and snowfall were completely off for last season. There are too many short-term patterns through the winter season that can't be forecasted more than 1-2 weeks out, and it is these short-term patterns that can control whether a certain region is cold and snowy or warm and dry.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The long term winter forecast is useless unless it is broken down into smaller units than 6 months. Example: in my part of B.C. we had several mild spells at the start of winter which impacted opening dates and early season conditions for many resorts. (Sun Peaks was first to open in B.C.and the only resort to open on their projected scheduled opening day) This was followed by the coldest February in over 80 years, followed by May like temps in early March.

I think snow levels were about average but was it a very cold or very warm winter? The correct answer is Yes.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Deep down isn’t this something that all of us have always known but just don’t want to believe.
I’m surprised he even believes 10 days out is better than the flip of a coin.
& yes, it’s going to be the best winter ever!
:Cristmassnow:
:yeah:
:snow::snow::snow:!

4ster

Instructor
Often I will surf forecasts till I find one that I like. Just came across this...
image.jpeg

Since I plan to be in Utah most of the winter, I like it :snow:

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
snotelmar19.jpg

Not to be braggy or anything, just looking at it from my perspective. I didn't actually do that bad for the Western US, pretty well in fact given the nature of seasonal forecasting, in terms of last year's seasonal forecast. I bombed out with the Eastern US though.

I forecast California to have an above average snowfall season.
I forecast Colorado/Utah/NM/AZ to have an average, maybe even slightly above average snowfall season
I forecast the PNW and BC to have a below average snowfall season.
I forecast the Eastern US (New England and Mid Atlantic) to have a moderately-strongly above average snowfall season, particularly in December and February

That was down to the foreseeing of the strong Nino atmospheric state that dumped on California.
And the failure of the foreseen SSW to bring anything decent for the East Coast, because of several problems with strat-tropo teleconnection.

The other forecasts in the BA article are just too simplistic with looking at only the "popular" drivers.

4ster

Instructor
I
'
So you aren't in favor of 4ster's forecast? Stone him, he's a witch!:roflmao:
Whoa! Not mine, that’s Farmers Almanac. I think it is based on caterpillar fur, butterfly effect, chaos theory or something like that.
A12AECBA-8B95-4DBF-AE30-1ABB7DBB457E.jpeg

My forecast is never a mystery, it is always for the best winter ever! :snow:

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Well we all know that scientists don't know anything about climate. I mean look at how wrong 90% of the scientist are regarding climate change and the effect that humans have on it.
Here in Western North Carolina we use the age old process of counting the mornings with fog in august and correlate that with snow in the winter. It always works except when it doesn't.

Sponsor

Staff online