• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

On-snow Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Pro FDT experience?

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Eyeing the D. SF Pro (122/78/102, R16 at 174 cm) for next season - any one been on 'em yet? Any comparisons with other similar skis e.g. Stockli AXs, Fischer Curve GTs, Castle MX 78, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Maybe the Head Titan or Rally if you can still find one.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Perhaps a Blizzard Firebird or Rossignol Hero

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ummmmm, so that's two "no"s?

I'm only interested in the Nordicas; hoping it's a less brutish, more nuanced FA 84 EDT.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ummmmm, so that's two "no"s?

I'm only interested in the Nordicas; hoping it's a less brutish, more nuanced FA 84 EDT.
I know that the Doberman was hard to come by at ski tests, but I think @Philpug or @Drahtguy Kevin got on a pair. I could be wrong.

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know that the Doberman was hard to come by at ski tests, but I think @Philpug or @Drahtguy Kevin got on a pair. I could be wrong.

They tested the Spitfire RB and Pro EVO, both of which are 72 waisted. Once again we seem to have too many models that appear to differ only in subtle detail :facepalm:, at least in the vendors description.

I'm guessing that the SF Pro FDT (what's an FDT?!?!) is the most recent release, so am not too surprised at the paucity of on snow feed back. Skis.com has some staff review videos up but they really don't say much more than they carve :nono:. Its possible that the Pro FDT is the 2019 equivalent/replacement of the 2018 Pro EVO, but the FDT's wider waist makes it sound like a much different ski

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They tested the Spitfire RB and Pro EVO, both of which are 72 waisted. Once again we seem to have too many models that appear to differ only in subtle detail :facepalm:, at least in the vendors description.
I know that I work hard at keeping all the models I test straight, I will never be able to keep up with all the skis our other testers get on, for reasons you state above.
Imagine this...
I skied one version of the Firebird, but there were other models. When someone asks about the Firebird, I can give an estimate of what all of them feel like but not exactly because I only got on one.

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
*$#@*&&+*)#!!!

Skis.com offers the Doberman spitfire Pro FDT with a 78 mm waist, and being too lazy to calculate the actual turning radius based on the 122 tip and 102 tail (published specs R=16.0), I trusted their numbers. Plus there's a ton of noise surrounding their 2019 skis, which kind of left me numb. Ordered a pair, arrive today, and low and behold the waist is not 78 but 72 (which does indeed produce a radius of 16). Knee jerk reaction was to call and demand a refund, but upon further reflection decided to merely inform them of their misleading web page specs and keep them. It will be the narrowest ski in my quiver, and will be mounted without a riser to begin with. Actually getting excited about moving a bit outside my comfort zone, just for giggles.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Use a riser.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Theres nothing wrong with a 72 waist. You may find that it is the most fun of all in your quiver ;)

Indeed. No reason at all to freak out.

TS
P

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Oh, I'm far from freaking out, more of a geezer/curmudgeonly grumbling. And as for a 72 waist, what goes around .....
Not only was I skiing when anything over 70 was considered morbidly obese, but more recently I've ridden some skinnies: Head GS World Cup, and Stockli Laser SCs. The SCs were 2 years ago, and based on the lack of a connection, I theorized that I needed a waist of at least 75. Pretty sure the Nordics will be a little softer than the SCs, so hopefully it will more than compensate. And you're right Mark, had a senior moment - risers it is.