• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

On piste and mogul ski, I need some good knowledgeable advice.

DrG

Big Dreams
Skier
I’m new to Pugski, the advice and expertise here is second to none. I have enjoyed and gained a lot of insight and knowledge from y’all, thank you. I thought it was time to join the conversation, so here I am. That being said I’m gonna do more listening than giving my 2 cents.
Briefly, I’m a 63yo senager having a great time getting back into skiing. I’m 5’11”, 160lbs, advanced intermediate, in pretty good shape, looking to continue to learn and advance, but with good technique. I’m looking at taking a multi-day mogul camp next year, I think it will help me everywhere.
I‘ve been doing quite a bit of research into skis that will be used about 70% on-piste and 30% moguls give or take. I primarily ski out west, and looking for something I can advance on. I enjoy moguls :eek:, but I’m not very good.....yet. I’m thinking that some good skis might help, with a waist of 80ish or less. I realize it’s not the arrow, but I think I need a ski that helps and not hurts my progress or my backside!
Here’s the list I’ve compiled so far, in no particular order.
- K2 Iconic 84 (TI?)
- DPS Cassiar A79 C2 Trainer
- Liberty V76
- Liberty V82
- ID One FRXP (www.idoneusa.com)
- Stockli Laser AX
- Fischer RC4 The Curve
I’m a little concerned the Stockli and Fischer might be too stiff and unforgiving but I don’t know.
I’ve gotten advice that going shorter in length is good for moguls, but is 167/168cm too short for me? Would they get unstable on-piste?
The last ski I tried was a Salomon XDR TI 172, 130/88/113, it was ok, but a bit unstable at speed on-piste.
OK, that’s long enough! Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here’s the list I’ve compiled so far, in no particular order.
- K2 Iconic 84 (TI?)
- DPS Cassiar A79 C2 Trainer
- Liberty V76
- Liberty V82
- ID One FRXP (www.idoneusa.com)
- Stockli Laser AX
- Fischer RC4 The Curve
Other than the bookends in your list, I think you have a pretty good start of a list. As you said above, it is the indian and not the arrow. I would stay in the mid 170 length.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m a little concerned the Stockli and Fischer might be too stiff and unforgiving but I don’t know.
Don't know about the Fischer, but the AX will be very compliant. It hasn't killed me (yet).

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
I have one thought on this. Learning to ski bumps is hard for many reasons but especially when you're in the back seat (which is an easy place to be). I would consider a ski with decent tail rocker and also some tail taper and generally avoid piste-only skis like the Fischer. That, and get the tails de-tuned. This will all keep your tails from hooking when they inevitably contact snow. Once us learners start keeping our tips engaged and our orientation perpendicular & downhill, the tail design becomes less important. But at the early stages, a ski of this design will save you a lot of frustration.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
The Liberty V76, V82, (and new Evolv84) would all be fantastic choices, as are the Stockli SC, AX, and AR--I very much enjoyed those skis this past year for on-piste use, including moguls. Other skis I've enjoyed in the circumstances you describe would be the Head i.Rally/e.Rally, Rossignol Hero Elite Plus Ti and Hero MT; as well as the Volkl Kanjo. Although little bit wider, the Nordica Enforcer 88, Liberty Evolv 90, and K2 Mindbender 90, and Volkl Kendo 88 also work decently for what you want, while allowing a bit more off trail/new snow efficacy.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some thoughts, but I am a little confused on what you are looking for. After re-reading I got a west coast ski, 70% smooth groomers and 30% moguls. So a groomer ski that will be good in moguls too. I initially thought you are looking for a "great" mogul ski to use in your camp.

I second Phil's response and would add to your list:

Blizzard bushwacker
Elan Wingman 86 CTI

Any other "not overly stiff, small radius carving ski that can release its tails" will be goog in moguls.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Fischer the Curve is a great high performance carving ski, but not a good mogul ski.
Stockli AX is a good compromise ski works ok everywhere, although there are much better skis for deep snow and true high performance carving (the SX is a great high performance carving ski).

For carving: narrow, full traditional camber, radius depends on speed, aggressive and razor sharp tune, stiff ski. For moguls: some tip and tail rocker will be ok, width not that critical so long as its not too wide (less than about 85 mm), less aggressive tune, not sharp (but NO DETUNING!), longer turn radius, and softer ski.

You need a quiver. :ogbiggrin:

TS
DrG

DrG

Big Dreams
Skier
This is all great help and info, thank you.
Has anyone tried the Liberty V76 or ID One FRXP (www.idoneusa.com)? Moguls? Groomers? Whatever?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Yup--the Liberty V76 is a great ski; for me performance is similar to the Head i.Rally. I also like the Stockli AX and Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti in that width range.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is all great help and info, thank you.
Has anyone tried the Liberty V76 or ID One FRXP (www.idoneusa.com)? Moguls? Groomers? Whatever?
I own the ID One FRXP and had it listed for sale here, but I pulled it off due to little interest, so I figured I’d just ski it. I’d consider a sale if you’re interested. ;)

It is a very fun ski, easy to ski. It carves well and is complaint in bumps. It has a poppy feel, which gives it a nice energy out of the turn. It’s easy to rip turns on it on groomers and it’ll play around in crud. I am 5’10”, 53 yo, and I ski the 176.

65DA9878-6B37-4018-8979-74F09C54884C.jpeg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m looking at taking a multi-day mogul camp next year, I think it will help me everywhere.
70% on-piste and 30% moguls
I enjoy moguls :eek:, but I’m not very good.

Does anyone else feel like we've done this thread about five times this spring?

Anyway, @DrG, here's the thing. A high performance carving ski like many of the ones mentioned in this thread can be fun in modest bumps, if you are already good at bumps. For learning bumps, they suck, especially for someone light for his height like you (because you will likely be on a longer ski than the average 160-pounder would be on).

So my suggestion is to start with a very very honest evaluation of what kind of an "on-piste" skier you are. You don't have to tell us, but you have to be straight with yourself or you will end up unhappy. Are you ripping honest-to-pete arc-to-arc railroad track turns, racer-style, when you are skiing groomers, like very few people actually do in the wild, no matter who claims what here on PugSki?

If you are, then you need a real carving ski. And in that case I agree with the folks who are saying you need a second ski if you want to optimize your bump learning - one with a bit of both tip and tail taper and rise, detuned beyond the widest points of the ski but never inboard of those.

I would guess, just based on odds, that you are not carving those high angle hero turns. Most (not all) people who are that good have a ton of focused time on snow and are not struggling in the moguls. If you are NOT carving Michael Rogan turns on piste, then you are all set. Just get a narrow-ish all-mountain ski and call it good. (Wendy's candidate above could be great, though I haven't tried it.) Stay away from the carve-centric skis like the Rally and the Liberty V series. (The Evolv series is a different matter.) For example, a Nordica Navigator 85 would be fine. Rossi Experience series (new generation) would be fine.

Hope this contrarian view helps rather than hinders.

EDIT: https://www.pugski.com/threads/2020-liberty-evolv-90-172cm-325.19881/#post-484181

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wow ski essential has a cornucopia 80s rtm 81/84 or ripstick 86 $450. Lx 85 $550. Just a few examples prices are with bindings. I free demoed some lx one time they were like a hot knife through butter.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I own the ID One FRXP and had it listed for sale here, but I pulled it off due to little interest, so I figured I’d just ski it. I’d consider a sale if you’re interested. ;)

It is a very fun ski, easy to ski. It carves well and is complaint in bumps. It has a poppy feel, which gives it a nice energy out of the turn. It’s easy to rip turns on it on groomers and it’ll play around in crud. I am 5’10”, 53 yo, and I ski the 176.

View attachment 102385
How much? Bindings set to what BSL?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Wow ski essential has a cornucopia 80s rtm 81/84 or ripstick 86 $450. Lx 85 $550. Just a few examples prices are with bindings. I free demoed some lx one time they were like a hot knife through butter.
I rented the Ripstick 96 for a day out on Vancouver Island two years ago. It was a nice compromise ski for a place that gets a lot of snow, skied in trees in deep snow, in bumps and on groomers, 96 instead of 86 due to the deep snow requirement. For what @DrG is looking for the Ripstick 86 would likely work well.
EDIT: at the time I weighed 150 lbs.

Last edited:

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lx 85 $550

Assuming you mean the Kastle, I own and love this ski but it is not a good choice for someone who self describes as not very good at bumps and wants to learn.

Edit: the Ripstick 86 looks like it might be fun for OP’s purpose though

Edit 2: the FX 85 might be a nice choice too, depending on OP’s groomer turns. Very easy in bumps. They’re not particularly inclined to get up on edge, but do stay there once convinced.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Edit 2: the FX 85 might be a nice choice too, depending on OP’s groomer turns. Very easy in bumps. They’re not particularly inclined to get up on edge, but do stay there once convinced.

This x3

Sponsor

Staff online