• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

On-bike mud scrapers?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Did anyone at P2A ride a colossal clearance frame? Thinking of something like a Jones frame with truss fork, with 33s or 38s.

1687459574613.png

Mt. Airy had a bike built up sort of like what I'm thinking of.

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Did anyone at P2A ride a colossal clearance frame? Thinking of something like a Jones frame with truss fork, with 33s or 38s.

View attachment 206247

Mt. Airy had a bike built up sort of like what I'm thinking of.
I didn't see that? Maybe? There was a variety for sure, fat bikes, MTB, gravel etc. Knobby tires were a blessing and a curse. Packed up faster, but did have grip sometimes. There were at least two tandems... I think the best tire would have been a low lug wide spacing mud xc tire.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah bigger pulleys less stress. I can see that but hard to quantify.

Can you vouch for that? I mean seriously, do you feel a difference between oversized and normal pulleys? I have been wondering for quite some time if the upgrade is worth it.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Anyway, what about the pulleys? Should I or shouldn’t I?

Haven't you already answered that? I mean:

Besides I try to avoid mud by all means, the biggest nightmare in my life as a cyclist is getting my bike dirty. I hate that.

If you're not going to get tyres or tyre clearance for mud, why get OS pulleys based on a mud recco?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't you already answered that? I mean:

If you're not going to get tyres or tyre clearance for mud, why get OS pulleys based on a mud recco?

No I was wondering in general. Is there any real advantage of them on a road bike?

I mean those Ceramicspeed thingies the size of the 15t cog.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
No I was wondering in general. Is there any real advantage of them on a road bike?

:huh: Economic churn? Cute stylish Danish flags on the aero shield?

I mean those Ceramicspeed thingies the size of the 15t cog.

We know.

In the video I cited in post #18 of this thread, Tyler specifically credits those for his drivetrain continuing to sort-of-work after everything was caked in mud and rock - and after his hanger screw backed out.

My question was whether he has a point, or whether he's just lost in his head after (losing) his first real mud battle.

Sponsor

Staff online