• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Older ski info?

motogreg

A liftie once told me I was an okay skier....
Skier
Hi all, Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a resource for information on older skis; reviews, specs, that sort of thing. I recently upgraded my gear after a hiatus from skiing and wonder about my old skis; I bought them 20+ years ago with little research and am just curious about them. Skis in question are Dynastar Speed SX 62 in a 187 length. I have a few other pairs kicking around that I'm curious about as well, what's the best way to get info on older gear? Thanks in advance!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi all, Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a resource for information on older skis; reviews, specs, that sort of thing. I recently upgraded my gear after a hiatus from skiing and wonder about my old skis; I bought them 20+ years ago with little research and am just curious about them. Skis in question are Dynastar Speed DX 62 in a 187 length. I have a few other pairs kicking around that I'm curious about as well, what's the best way to get info on older gear? Thanks in advance!!
You came to the right place. The concern with 20 year old gear, specifically skis is the bindings. That Dynastar Speed probably has a Look Pivot binding, it is it the current design it is still indemnified, if it is the current design heel, you are good. If it is this heel, it is not indemnified, meaning a shop will mot touch or adjust/test it.
look-binding-pic-0900.jpg

Think if bindings like tires on your car. Would you feel safe driving on a 20 year old tire? Probably not.

We would glad to walk though the gear with you and help with what is still skiable and what you should move on from. The same with your boots.

TS
M

motogreg

Skier
Hi Phil, thanks for the response. My new ski is the M5, quite a change for me after 20 years, mounted with Griffons. New boots are Salomon x-pro. I dropped my old Technica TNS's off at Goodwill, and instantly regretted it, in retrospect I should have gotten new liners and kept them in the quiver. Not that I don't like the Salomons, but I had a lot of good days and memories with the Technicas and I'm a sentimental guy, so.... The dynas are mounted with some Salomon 850's on a riser plate.

I'm more looking for reviews of the skis themselves, what their focus was, etc. These skis are ALMOST pre internet, heh. You guys are a motherlode of info about the older stuff, that's whats I's appreciate's abouts yous...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi Phil, thanks for the response. My new ski is the M5, quite a change for me after 20 years, mounted with Griffons. New boots are Salomon x-pro. I dropped my old Technica TNS's off at Goodwill, and instantly regretted it, in retrospect I should have gotten new liners and kept them in the quiver. Not that I don't like the Salomons, but I had a lot of good days and memories with the Technicas and I'm a sentimental guy, so.... The dynas are mounted with some Salomon 850's on a riser plate.

I'm more looking for reviews of the skis themselves, what their focus was, etc. These skis are ALMOST pre internet, heh. You guys are a motherlode of info about the older stuff, that's whats I's appreciate's abouts yous...
The only mistake in dropping the TNSs off at Goodwill is that you didn't save a step and just put them right into a dumpster. It is not IF the plastic from the shells will break, it is WHEN. As far as the 850's, personally I wouldn't ski a platic binding from that era either. pass on them. They are prone to cracking and are not deamed safe by current standards. The Dynastar was a early gen shape skis but bot their first, that was the Max 1, 2 and 3. It was a fine hard snow ski and at a 187, that was actually a big step down from a two oh something we skied back then. It was psuedo GS cut ski and pretty good on hard snow. You might miss some of the edge to edge quickness going to the M5 but you will like the shorter turn radius. My guess is you are of uhmmm advancing years and after skiing a full day of Michigan skiing, you might be thinging "I don't remember my knees and ankles feeling like this" Part is the 20 years off and part is a 96mm wide ski that wants to be in the snow and not on the ice.

TS
M

motogreg

Skier
Heh, yes, definitely not getting younger, though I would put my fitness level at "above average".... I took the time off after living in SLC for 5 years or so, skiing maybe 30-40 days a season....after that, Michigan skiing didn't hold a whole lotta luster. The last couplea years we've taken it up again with the kids, the local hills are pretty perfect for kids learning to ski, and hanging with them has rekindled the love. I love the M5 so far, had maybe a dozen days on them last season. They are actually a lot more fun than the old Dynas were here in michigan, the Dynas only liked to wake up above 30mph or so, and by that time you are at the bottom of the hill here. The volkls are just more fun at slower speeds, getting them on edge, even on harder snow, is a BLAST. Yes, they are "too much ski" for the local hills, but we are planning to go out west some now the kids are getting up to speed (and once covid is not botching everything up) and as a one-ski quiver they are pretty great, for me. Thanks for the info!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Are those my old Volant SuperCarv's, the ones that the Navas were on? I have the perfect G90's to put on the Comprex S

Those went to a collector in Washington state, with the Navas and the boots. These had a far lowlier provenance - as an easy-going ice ski for a cyclist-physique friend.

The Compex S were Swiss cheese years before OP's TNS/TNTs came out.

Sponsor