• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old skier - new Pugski member

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
I found Pugski a few months ago while researching new skis to buy, to replace my 7-yr old Volkl Kendo's. I had demo'ed the Mantras as well at that time, but found they weren't as well suited for moguls, even compared to my prior Volkl AC-3's. Almost got Kendo's again, but chose Mantra M5 instead. I think the M5's have hit the sweet spot, even based just on the two sub-optimal ski days (in UT on hard-pack) before our season abruptly shut down. "the tram's not open" "but there's no high winds" "it's the virus"

I was super- excited for my first ski-bum season after retiring in January, and had some great days at our local ski hill (Powderhorn) with the "Young-at-Heart" ski group. Unfortunately, this past season ended up with more canceled ski days than powder days, I'm planning to make up for that next season.

I'm 60 but have only been skiing for 52 of those years. My first three seasons were spent primarily at Hidden Valley, PA, where the primary uphill transport was rope tow or Poma, and downhill on wooden skis, cable bindings, lace-up boots, in a wool sweater with jeans and cotton longjohns. Looks like there are plenty of others on Pugski in the same age-range that also don't get the point of "terrain parks". Our family moved to New Mexico in 1972 for one year, but the powder that first season was plentiful, and we ended up never moving back to Pittsburgh. It was quite the transition from being yelled at by lift-ops to "Lower the safety bar!" in PA to "Holy crap, there's no safety bar!" in NM (on center-pole Riblet chair).

Most of my skiing has been in the central and southern Rockies, this year I'd like to head north to unexplored resort galaxies in my Ikon pass universe, except for getting a re-do attempt on last season's canceled New Mexico trip (Taos and Pajarito Mtn.)

I'll attempt to get a decent profile photo soon-

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I found Pugski a few months ago while researching new skis to buy, to replace my 7-yr old Volkl Kendo's. I had demo'ed the Mantras as well at that time, but found they weren't as well suited for moguls, even compared to my prior Volkl AC-3's. Almost got Kendo's again, but chose Mantra M5 instead. I think the M5's have hit the sweet spot, even based just on the two sub-optimal ski days (in UT on hard-pack) before our season abruptly shut down. "the tram's not open" "but there's no high winds" "it's the virus"

I was super- excited for my first ski-bum season after retiring in January, and had some great days at our local ski hill (Powderhorn) with the "Young-at-Heart" ski group. Unfortunately, this past season ended up with more canceled ski days than powder days, I'm planning to make up for that next season.

I'm 60 but have only been skiing for 52 of those years. My first three seasons were spent primarily at Hidden Valley, PA, where the primary uphill transport was rope tow or Poma, and downhill on wooden skis, cable bindings, lace-up boots, in a wool sweater with jeans and cotton longjohns. Looks like there are plenty of others on Pugski in the same age-range that also don't get the point of "terrain parks". Our family moved to New Mexico in 1972 for one year, but the powder that first season was plentiful, and we ended up never moving back to Pittsburgh. It was quite the transition from being yelled at by lift-ops to "Lower the safety bar!" in PA to "Holy crap, there's no safety bar!" in NM (on center-pole Riblet chair).

Most of my skiing has been in the central and southern Rockies, this year I'd like to head north to unexplored resort galaxies in my Ikon pass universe, except for getting a re-do attempt on last season's canceled New Mexico trip (Taos and Pajarito Mtn.)

I'll attempt to get a decent profile photo soon-
Welcome to the community.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Always room for another old fart around here. Welcome!

Being from Washington, we're almost neighbors.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pajarito? Were your folks nuclear/rocket scientists? Super cool place to spend a ski day and take in the history of the area..

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow... Hidden Valley... neat! I grew up in Pittsburgh, and last skied Hidden Valley a few years ago.

I haven't been to Pajarito, but try to get out to Taos each season for a PugSki Gathering.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome!

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
Howdy, I’ve enjoyed reading your advice to other members concerning their upcoming trips to Colorado. Wishing you loads of skiing in the upcoming seasons!

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
There are some unknowns this year, like what the Gathering will be like at Aspen. Hopefully we can meet and ski a run or two. If you haven't put the Gathering on your agenda, it is a fun event. Easy to have a great time. Hopefully, this virus thing won't make it too difficult.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
60 is barely middle-age in Pugski years...welcome aboard!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Damn kids, sneaking in the back door :nono:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
If 60 is "seasoned" I'm damn near a Thai green curry! :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor