• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old-school telemark ski stoke

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I had an odd experience Friday night as I filled up my tank at the King Soopers gas station in Longmont. A greybeard adorned with a Loveland-logo'd baseball cap was talking skiing. We chatted a bit, and he handed me a business card. He said something about his big plans for his endeavor next season. I was confused at first - thought he was an instructor. But no. He was promoting a video. Ski Telemark Movie. Curtis Johns. There was a URL, an email address, and even a phone number.

I wasn't sure what to expect - something from this decade, for sure. I am guessing that this Warren Miller-style video must have been produced in the late 70s or early 80s - one of you is probably able to pinpoint it exactly. There's talk about telemarking potentially becoming an Olympic sport - which is apparently again on the radar these days.

Funny thing, there's an interview early on with two skiers talking about getting snow "up to here" (indicates chest) "instead of up to here" (indicates waist) who really could have been skiers from today.

It's a pretty good movie, complete with some entertaining crashes and of course a dog following his owner's tracks in the powder.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Jim.jpg

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
No worries Monique. Its a telemark think. Posing with the heel lifted is my favorite.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If I was to meet a Crossfit, telemarking, gluten-free raw food vegetarian who's ticking off their bucket list - would I even notice?

Aren't crossfit and telemark competing religions??

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In that spirit, and as a >80 day/yr telemarker, I submit this picture of a sticker made up by someone from telemarktips quoting the title of an infamous Kristen Ulmer article:
telemarkingisstupid.jpg

I proudly display mine, but only when I'm on tele gear.

Then there's this:
micheal-cares-that-you-tele.jpg

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sponsor

Staff online