• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old News Stories - Really old...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have a friend who shares real news stories from the old Cadillac Evening News Paper. Quite often they crack me up, but back in the day......this was serious stuff.

From a recent archive find:
Cadillac history

Oct. 24, 1916

Cadillac Chief of Police Evans urged parents to watch their boys if they were building “shanties” and to be certain they knew where the lumber was coming from for the building. Several complaints had come in to police as a result of the shanty-building activities of Cadillac boys and it was necessary for the officers to take one 17-year-old boy into custody. This boy went across the street and carried away sufficient lumber and shingles to build a fair-sized “house” and then he put a stove in it, secured several chickens from the neighbors’ roosts and invited his friends over for a banquet. Shortly after officers interfered with these “good times.” “When a boy builds a shanty he should be watched,” said Evans, “for they usually procure a part of all of the materials away from home."

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
And the next thing you know your son is playing for money in a pinch-back suit, and listening to some slick outta town jasper talking all about horse race gambling. Not a wholesome trotting race, no, but a race where they sit right down on the horse! Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin on Dan Patch. Make your blood boil? Well I should say. Friends, let me tell you what I mean. You got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table, pockets that mark the difference between a gentleman and a bum, with a capital B that rhymes with P and that stands for pool!