• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Old Jarhead on the Mountain

OldJarhead

Putting on skis
Skier
I learned to ski in the ‘70s in Poconos and I hadn’t skied again till settled in New Mexico after a camping trip across the United States 5 years ago. Since then I have skied in New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah.

I Initially started skiing with a Mountain Collective Pass now I ski with an Epic Military Veteran Pass.

There is a new season pass from Ski Cooper I may purchase to add a number of other ski areas in Colorado and New Mexico that would be free for 3 days per area.

My home mountain is Ski Santa Fe where I ski for free.

I started a blog The Old Man and the Mountain a couple of months ago “to help me get to my goal of skiing at least 60 times this winter while spending as little money as possible. If this adventure makes it possible for me and one other person to ski more for less I will be happy.”

So far I have met online, one other senior skier. His goal is 125 days skiing.

He has some advantages over me:

1) He is only 66, I am 74.

2) As he says he has: “a beast of a 4WD van” that goes through anything and he can sleep in it when he wants to - he calls it his bedroom on wheels. Being a Vet with a VA card I can ride the train and bus from Albuquerque to the front steps of Ski Santa Fe for free. Since I am over 72 I can ski for free. After that, I have to look for ride-sharing and carpooling from the Albuquerque - Santa Fe - Los Alamos area to get to the Ski areas near I70 and Crested Butte.

3) Along with his Ikon and Epic Military Pass he has the use of a duplex in SLC (that helps a lot!!!) My plan consists of using Hostels in Leadville, Co., Minturn, Co. Breckenridge, and Crested Butte. Right now I have lodging for one stay near Vail for under $70 a night.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@OldJarhead
I didn't see this thread before I posted one asking how retirees plan their ski season. Your post fits right in with that theme.
Did you get an Epic military vet pass too like your friend?
I will check out your blog.

Last edited:
TS
OldJarhead

OldJarhead

Putting on skis
Skier
@OldJarhead
I didn't see this thread before I posted one asking how retirees plan their ski season. Your post fits right in with that theme.
Did you get an Epic military vet pass too like your friend?
Yes, This will be the second year with an Epic military vet pass. Besides being old which enables me to ski for free at Ski Santa, the senior discount at Ski Cooper, and the Not Forgotten Outreach Ski Week I may be able to reach my goal of skiing 60 times this winter. I am thinking of posting something about coming west as cheaply as possible to ski and making non-skiers happy at Ski Santa Fe and Taos. Especially after this article The 11 Nations of The United States.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Those military deals for the Epic Pass are one of the best things about it. I am not a vet, but have much respect for them. Let me know if you're skiing Park City anytime after first week of Feb and want to make a few turns as I'll be in that vicinity. I'll also probably be in Vail-BC area last week of Jan.
While on a business trip to Los Alamos back in 1992 I skied just one day at Ski Santa Fe. Very beautiful spot.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Skiing my age (72) is going to have to wait for retirement :(

Sponsor

Staff online