• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Laner

Wax on, wax off.
Skier
I recently returned to the sport after a brief seven year hiatus from skiing and am now in the market for new ski.

About me:
40yo, 5’-11”, and a portly 230lb athletic intermediate level skier piloting vintage (2005) Head iXRC 800 in 170 length (65mm under foot).

I ski mostly groomers (Ontario Canada, and east... Quebec and eastern US) with my young children; when the kids let me loose I will push the limits of my skis mostly on piste but I ogle the off-piste, trees, bumps and everything in between (my 7yo boy has me in the park too). My current setup does not instill confidence and I need something that is mild mannered enough on the blues with the family but can handle some much-deserved dad time on the blacks.

Local shops have some well priced new non-current 2018 Head, K2, Rossi, and Atomic. A few that were suggested: Head Monster 83 and 88, K2 iKonic 80ti and 84ti and Atomic Vantage 90 CTi. Another suggested was 2019 Head Kore 93. Toronto ski show is a week away and there may be a good range of skis available.

Okay Google, lay it on me; what ski do you suggest and in what waist and length?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Skiing the same stuff....I prefer 75 and under for east coast conditions. We ski ice and that's all there is to it! I was at the Ottawa Show yesterday and the manufacturers are finally showing again. So they will be there to talk too. Also the major stores take over a lot of floor space to get rid of left overs at the show. And add in the swap, lots to choose from.

What stores are you looking at? Please do not say Sportchek!!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Fellow Ontario skier here as well and like a few skis on your list especially the Monster 83 and the iKonic 80Ti that would be great for the conditions you ski in and your size. Lighter skiers your level may not find those skis as forgiving as you would. Both very good on harder snow and the bumpy afternoon crud we get here that causing many people to hate skiing after lunch as busier resorts.

Since you don't have a quiver of skis, I'd maybe stay closer to the 80-85mm range as the ones wider will not be as great on harder snow and ones skinnier sacrifice off trail performance. I'd be looking longer than what you currently have and think the 177cm sizes would be more in line with your size. Still not too demanding but you gain more stability with the longer length.

Lots of deals at Corbetts on both those skis in last years models and they will be at the Ski Show next week along with many other great shops. Not sure what they will have at the show so check online so you know comparable prices and then get additional info at the show. Will be a "ski swap" area too there with all a large range skis in that size range and might be something decent in there too. Agree with Jilly to avoid Sportchek like the plague! lol

I've got to ask as well about the ski boot situation. How many days on the boots and were your feet recently measured and boots fitted? They could be holding you back from gaining confidence too if the fit is not great.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Accept reality. Ontario skiing is pretty much hard snow.most of the time, and you need some beef in the ski to make you turn.

http://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/ski/ski/race/laser-sc-2018
http://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/ski/ski/race/laser-sx-2018
https://www.corbetts.com/2018-head-supershape-i-magnum-skis-w-prd-12-bindings/
https://www.head.com/shop-us/us-CA/worldcup-rebels-i-race-67.html
https://www.fischersports.com/ca_en/rc4-the-curv-126?c=161

Choose wisely.

If you have too much cash, supplement with something 105 to 115 mm for that once a year storm event.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A fellow Ontario skier, I wouldn't ski anything wider than a 76 or so (maybe 78). Look at Dynastar Speed Zone, Volkl Racetigers , Rossi Hero, Head SuperShapes (They are usually sold out every year, but some friends got some at Corbets)
I'll be at the ski show next weekend to see what I can get cheap. Theres usually nothing at the swap...very low end new stuff, and old rental gear.

TS
Laner

Laner

Wax on, wax off.
Skier
Thanks for the input.

I live just west of Toronto and although Sportchek will accept Canada’s unofficial second currency, they would not be my go-to for skis. There are a few local shops, with ski in their name, that I prefer to patronize. Corbetts is not local but also not too far away, and I have been keeping an eye on their website.

TS
Laner

Laner

Wax on, wax off.
Skier
Fellow Ontario skier here as well...

I've got to ask as well about the ski boot situation. How many days on the boots and were your feet recently measured and boots fitted? They could be holding you back from gaining confidence too if the fit is not great.

My old Salomon boots, sloppy and poor fitting in the end, were put to rest last season and I am in Nordica Speedmachine 120. They provide great feel for me and all day comfort. One screw was removed to soften the flex; 95% of my time was skiing blues with my son. I probably have 20 days on the pedometer.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I have 64mm and 80mm skis here in Ontario. I thought about going wider but..really??? Either of those skis works fine though. The 64's obviously tear it up here. The 80's are my travel skis.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
My old Salomon boots, sloppy and poor fitting in the end, were put to rest last season and I am in Nordica Speedmachine 120. They provide great feel for me and all day comfort. One screw was removed to soften the flex; 95% of my time was skiing blues with my son. I probably have 20 days on the pedometer.

Glad to hear you’ve got your boots sorted out. Now all you have to do is pick a ski among the hundreds of options. Easy....

What do you like/not like about your current skis so you can be better guided on your search?
You said they weren’t confidence inspiring-do you mean you don’t feel stable going fast, not enough edge grip, too slow to initiate turns or wants to turn too often etc?
Going to a current binding with much lower stand height than the ones your current skis have might improve your perceived stability too.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Ontario dad here as well.. I've got some near-SL for dad time, and 80's width k2 for family duty and those rare days over a few inches of fresh.

Family skiing i spend a lot of time on the greens/blues.. and more than enough of it either backwards or pivoting to watch the kids.. Whatever you get, set the side edge to a minimum of 2 degrees.. I tend towards 4 degree edge on all my skis as there is lots of ice with our variable weather conditions.

Get a ski with a system binding or with adjustable bindings.. It allows you to move your boot forwards and back on the ski.

Don't be afraid to ski something way shorter than you'd think you'd want.. unless you get outside of ontario often, there is only so many turns you can make on a 300' vert.. an 18~20 meter ski is fun, but unless you're out early or late when the hill is empty, you just can't open them up as often as you'd want... it's the whole driving a slow car fast vs a fast car slow deal.

TS
Laner

Laner

Wax on, wax off.
Skier
So if a SL ski with a 60-70mm waist is a must for local ski conditions, what length? A quick perusal of the manufacturers website leads me to believe their main size is sub 170mm.

I Hadn’t even considered a race ski but I guess it makes sense with the rain/snow conditions...
Volkl Racetiger, Head Supershape, Fischer RC4, Stoeckli Laser, Rossignol Hero.

How do they handle with the inevitable crud that builds throughout the day? Is it fair to say a rockered tip helps with this?

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am taller and heavier than you and oicked up last years Monster 83s for hard pack midwest conditions. Great ski for crud and a little fluff on a snowy day. Slainte.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm going to take a different approach and suggest something besides race oriented/inspired skis. While yes I agree they would be a good fit for the conditions, I don't believe in limiting oneself to that type of ski or to the demands of that type of ski if it's going to be the only ski you own. My suggestions would be to look at the Nordica Enforcer 93, Rossignol Experiance 88ti, and the Head Supershape iTitan. Somewhere around the 170cm size range for those skis. From my own experience they each have good edge grip, are forgiving for making mistakes, and quite capable when the day gets crudy and skied out.

TS
Laner

Laner

Wax on, wax off.
Skier
Ugh! :doh: The shortlist is expanding.

Does anyone have any experience with Volkl Code (Speedwall S)? Is this a more approachable (sport) SL-type ski (versus the Racetiger) that can maybe manage a little crud and bumps?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ugh! :doh: The shortlist is expanding.

Does anyone have any experience with Volkl Code (Speedwall S)? Is this a more approachable (sport) SL-type ski (versus the Racetiger) that can maybe manage a little crud and bumps?
Don't know about the Speedwall, but I Have the Racetiger SC. At 170cm it is a 15m radius, not as demanding as the SL. It can be skied as fast or slow as you want to go, (better at fast!) tips are soft enough you can rip in the bumps. (eastern bumps I'm saying)

TS
Laner

Laner

Wax on, wax off.
Skier
Don't know about the Speedwall, but I Have the Racetiger SC. At 170cm it is a 15m radius, not as demanding as the SL. It can be skied as fast or slow as you want to go, (better at fast!) tips are soft enough you can rip in the bumps. (eastern bumps I'm saying)

Is the 170cm length your ideal size? I am 5’11” and am currently on a more recreational 170cm but contemplating a 175cm.