• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Oh, Hell No.

Could you sleep/sit/relax in this hammock?

• Sure, No Probs.

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No Effin way.

Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Speaking of climbing "opps"....

20120219_oregon_skinnersbutter_022112.jpg

When I was 23 I was teaching "how to rappel" and to demonstrate better the concept of being perpendicular to the wall I leaned way out from the top... when I levered a 9' Basalt Column that my rappel anchor was bolted to out of the face of Skinner's Butte in Eugene, Oregon. I fell ~ 60' from the top clear to the ground and broke my pelvis and ankle multiple places, plus ACL and assorted minor stuff that landed me a Summertime in St Mary's Hospital. Luckily the column didn't roll onto me or worse. (Besides the bones this was before they started screening blood for HIV and back then every druggy bum donated blood for $15 a pint.) Effectively ended my professional skiing career (bone spurs had already curtailed it) and while I've been back to the climbing gym with my kids I've never seriously climbed since (used to go to Yosemite, LCC, Gunks, etc.). I still have a circa 1983 climbing rack with Choiunard hexes and stoppers, D-carabiners....

Don't trust anchors after a Winter's freeze/thaw cycle!

There is a series of annual books called "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" and I made it in! Nowadays there is a good podcast called "The Sharp End" about climbing accidents. An awful lot of accidents happen to experienced mountaineers doing something fairly routine and easy like rappelling or low level routes. I respect climbers a lot but there are a lot of unavoidable situations outside of your control.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^ OK you cane closer to death than I did. I jumped off a 60 foot cliff on purpose several times... in to the St Croix river below! Not sure I'd do that again at my age and diminished swimming ability but that was super fun and not all that difficult at age 17.

I still can't believe I did some of the things I did pre age 30. Trying to crawl down the top dome of that water tower and find the top of the ladder with my feet was the scariest thing I remember.. but no other way down. Going up was way easier than going back down..

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
^^^ OK you cane closer to death than I did. I jumped off a 60 foot cliff on purpose several times... in to the St Croix river below! Not sure I'd do that again at my age and diminished swimming ability but that was super fun and not all that difficult at age 17.

I still can't believe I did some of the things I did pre age 30. Trying to crawl down the top dome of that water tower and find the top of the ladder with my feet was the scariest thing I remember.. but no other way down. Going up was way easier than going back down..

How did the builders and maintenance crew do it?

But I agree, sliding blind down that dome does sound scary, looking at the photo it looks like you have no other choice once you start. Hell simply going up onto my roof from a ladder is plenty gripping for me now.

IDK I popped a kicker last season and went 12-15' err 4-5' straight up last season (age 57) and nearly pooped. Late teens-early 20s that was never a big deal.

I built hammerheads on my MTB trail and am too chicken to really pop it either. And I fear my fat flying ass might break the bike's frame if I really hit it.

James

Out There
Instructor
The safety rope is kept under proper tension at all times as the climber advances up the wall. When the climber loses grip with the wall (fall). The climber's weight is taken up immediately.
Ironically it's scarier to climb on a mechanical (auto) belay. On those you fall a few feet before it slows you. It can feel like 10 feet. Someone belaying you on a top rope belay will usually keep proper slack/tension so you basically go nowhere but depends a lot on if there's an overhang etc. I did end up inverted recently from an odd fall and having my harness too low. Freaked out the belayer more than me.

But lead climbing where you have to clip in every so often is a guaranteed decent free fall if you fall before reaching the next anchor but close to it.

Now, would y'all do this?
Part of a Via Ferrata in Loen, Norway. Yeah you have a safety line. Try to tell your mind that. There's two optional bridges One has a platform about 15 inches wide. The other only has a cable under foot.

Once you're out there going back is a worse option to going forward. Don't forget there's wind, and since it's Norway, likely rain or fog or mist.

Platform:
IMG_4376.JPG

Cable:
sddefault.jpg

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would have to have absolute trust in the person that set up that rope.That being said: Nope. No way. No amount of money. No.:eek:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Now this is a definitely a paralyzing fear thing, think of this and all ski runs will look easy ;):crossfingers:.

Would you ride a ski lift over that valley to get to a great ski run, even with the bar down?

James

Out There
Instructor
I would have to have absolute trust in the person that set up that rope.That being said: Nope. No way. No amount of money. No.:eek:

It is a steel rope. ogsmile
Cable bridge is at 4:04, platform at 2:56.
IMG_4377.PNG

There's now a cable car as of June 2017 that goes to the top. It's like $60 round trip.
I talked to some Norwegians in the cable car who had just done it. They showed photos. One girl had gone upside down in the middle. "So of course we all had to do it" They were doctors and nurses.

IMG_3393.JPG

Top of the restaurant. The angled glass barrier is not confidence inspiring.

IMG_3391.JPG

View from the top, that's a cruise ship down there. The fjord eventually goes to the North Sea.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I recall settling an argument with a buddy of mine about the effect of being at a height on ones ability to walk along a narrow platform. We were pretty high up on a bridge under construction crossing the Arthabaska River north of Ft. McMurray on what IIRC was Syncrude property. I said it would not affect me, although being above water would have some little effect. I settled the argument by walking across a beam on the as-yet incomplete bridge deck - no safety

Looking back I have to agree with my buddy that it was a bit inconsiderate on my part. He would have had to deal with the problem of my death, while all my troubles would have been over.

Sponsor

Staff online