James

Skiing the powder
Instructor
Has this caused closures of ski areas or hotels in Italy?

Northern Italy is already locking down towns. Venice closed the Carnivale early. Museums there have closed.
A private school in England closed for precaution after students returned from a ski trip to Bormio.

Coronavirus: Britons returning from northern Italy told to self-isolate

44D3A2E2-BE81-4BF3-8C80-EC41FAEC7991.jpeg

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
Not for a ski trip but I'm going to be in Rome, Venice and Florence in April for vacation. I'm not sure what to do but am waiting until mid-March to decide. I'm less concerned about getting sick than getting locked down in Italy or unable to get back into the US without a delay.

I received an email for work this morning that a conference to be held in Frankfurt in early March is being postponed until September due to Cornona in Italy.

Cheizz

Craving camber
Skier
As of yet, no ski regions in Italy have been affected. But today, more cases have shown up in Switzerland and Tyrol, Austria. If things spread from there, things might be different in a week or two.

coskigirl

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sadly, my company has been affected by the virus but fortunately the ones that contracted the virus have all recovered. We have banned travel to/from Asia and between Asian countries for employees.

If I were looking to travel for personal reasons I would ensure that I have plenty of travel insurance that doesn't have an epidemic/pandemic exclusion. That said, if you end up in quarantine, there are so many issues not handled by insurance. Things like the ability to work remotely, enough supply of any critical meds to last 4+ weeks, back up plans for home/pet care in case you can't return when expected etc.

scott43

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Heading to Ireland in a week or two. Chose to go but if it were mainland I'd be watching carefully. Unless the warmer weather slows it down this will be endemic worldwide I'm pretty sure.

TS
James

James

Skiing the powder
Instructor
I wish it was that simple a decision. It's my honeymoon as well as my first trip to Italy. As an architect I've wanted to visit Italy all my life. I'll be conservative and make the right decision but it's not an easy one.
Maybe go further south? Paestum south of Naples has an amazing Greek Temple ruin, and Sicily has a bunch too.
At this point, Venice would be out. (Love Venice) Florence questionable. By the time you go, all of Italy may be no go. Or it gets better.

Compare different Trip insurance, trip medical insurance-
squaremouth.com
I used it a few weeks ago. Was able to get one that specifically allowed back country skiing. For medical, make sure it’s “primary” coverage, otherwise you go through your reg insurance first.

If the State Dept puts Italy on a no go rating, I doubt you could get insurance. Do it now. Afaik, Italy is Category 2 warning since January, but for terrorism. That could change soon.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've already resolved myself to the reality that we're all going to be exposed to it. A lot of us will get sick, and a few of us will die because of it. Too bad the CDC and contagious disease response teams got gutted. Regardless, this is a highly contagious but rarely fatal virus. I'd be more afraid of a highly fatal but less contagious virus. Folks with compromised immune system issues should be terrified though. My sister has Lupus, I'm very concerned about her as this spreads.

Getting on a plane going anywhere from anywhere is probably a significant risk at this stage in the game. No telling who was in that seat before you or where they came from yesterday.

TheArchitect

Skier
Maybe go further south? Paestum south of Naples has an amazing Greek Temple ruin, and Sicily has a bunch too.
At this point, Venice would be out. (Love Venice) Florence questionable. By the time you go, all of Italy may be no go. Or it gets better.

Compare different Trip insurance, trip medical insurance-
squaremouth.com
I used it a few weeks ago. Was able to get one that specifically allowed back country skiing. For medical, make sure it’s “primary” coverage, otherwise you go through your reg insurance first.

If the State Dept puts Italy on a no go rating, I doubt you could get insurance. Do it now. Afaik, Italy is Category 2 warning since January, but for terrorism. That could change soon.
Good thoughts. I already have trip insurance but it specifically excludes pandemic or epidemic. Didn't think it was an issue when I bought it. I'll look at the options but then now include Hawaii and Key West. My biggest fear is not being able to get back into the US. Like @crgildart says, we're likely all going to get exposed at some point so if I change the plans it will be based on travel restrictions instead of exposure.

Swiss Toni

Getting off the lift
Skier
No reports of any hotel or ski area closures in Italy as yet. A case has been confirmed in Bolzano and two cases linked to the outbreak in Lombardy have been confirmed in Innsbruck resulting in the closure of the hotel in which one of the women involved worked. The person who tested positive in Switzerland visited Milan 10 days ago.

Unfortunately, the Italian authorities haven’t yet been able to identify “patient zero” which makes it difficult to contain the spread of the virus.

The Italian newspaper La Republica has a map showing the number and location of confirmed cases that is updated in real time https://www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2020/02/23/news/coronavirus_la_mappa_del_contagio_in_italia_in_tempo_reale-249371656/ There are also reports of panic buying in the Italian press.

I think it would be unwise to visit one of worst affected regions until the outbreak has been contained, mainly because of the disruption you might encounter.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
There are WAY more deadly viruses right here in the USA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthohantavirus

Also the Flu kills a bunch of people worldwide.

The corona virus should be controlled but man the media is taking it way way out of proportion which itself is causing many more problems than the virus itself.

TheArchitect

Skier
There are WAY more deadly viruses right here in the USA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthohantavirus

Also the Flu kills a bunch of people worldwide.

The corona virus should be controlled but man the media is taking it way way out of proportion which itself is causing many more problems than the virus itself.
I don't disagree. As I posted above, I'm more concerned about disruptions or having issues getting back into the US. IMO, those are more likely BECAUSE the media is hyping this up.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Very different from the flu.
Flu typically kills one out of every thousand infected. Coronavirus kills about 20-30 of every thousand infected, give or take. That number will move up or down but it's way more lethal than Influenza. It's also far more contagious because it can be transmitted by asymptomatic/presymptomatic carriers and it can live on surfaces for 10 days. Most experts are now predicting world wide spread. In that light 2% mortality is pretty scary.

I bet it will shut down some ski areas in a few weeks if it keeps spreading through northern Italy

I don't think the media is blowing this out of proportion. As a doc, I can tell you all my doctor friends are very concerned.

Pat AKA mustski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Our insurance also has exclusions for pandemic/epidemic. There is also a coverage alert for Italy right now, so it is excluded from coverage in any new insurance purchases. I guess we'll roll the dice!

TS
James

James

Skiing the powder
Instructor
^ At this point I’d probably try to skip Italy and go with your Val Thorens and somewhere else. The likelihood of getting quarantined in two weeks because you’re in Northern Italy is really increasing fast.

This just in...
From the Washington Post-
A faulty CDC coronavirus test delays monitoring of disease’s spread
Feb 25, 2020
—————————-
Problems with a government-created coronavirus test have limited the United States’ capacity to rapidly increase testing, just as the outbreak has entered a worrisome new phase in countries worldwide. Experts are increasingly concerned that the small number of U.S. cases may be a reflection of limited testing, not of the virus’s spread.

While South Korea has run more than 35,000 coronavirus tests, the United States has tested only 426 people, not including people who returned on evacuation flights. Only about a dozen state and local laboratories can now run tests outside of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta because the CDC kits sent out nationwide earlier this month included a faulty component.
What scares experts the most is that the virus is beginning to spread in countries outside China, but no one knows whether that’s the case in the United States, because they aren’t checking.
—————————————-